Help!! Chance to purchase krell KRS 1:50 amps and apogee signature duetta speakers

Deandolla

Jun 16, 2019
Loganville/Conyers Ga
I have run across the opportunity to purchase a whole system which includes a pair of krell KRS 150 amps and a pair of Aragon Mark II 400 with all the wiring and a krell preamp KRC 3. The speakers are in fairly good shape which are apogee duetta signature speakers comes with the manuals boxes just wondering I can get this for a couple thousand dollars but it's a risk not being able to listen to it all in the box just need some advice please if I should spend $2,000 on all this used equipment I've always wanted the chance to get something like this they are going to throw in a tuner CD player and I revolver rebel turntable also any knowledge or advice would be so appreciated!

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
I have run across the opportunity to purchase a whole system which includes a pair of krell KRS 150 amps and a pair of Aragon Mark II 400 with all the wiring and a krell preamp KRC 3. The speakers are in fairly good shape which are apogee duetta signature speakers comes with the manuals boxes just wondering I can get this for a couple thousand dollars but it's a risk not being able to listen to it all in the box just need some advice please if I should spend $2,000 on all this used equipment I've always wanted the chance to get something like this they are going to throw in a tuner CD player and I revolver rebel turntable also any knowledge or advice would be so appreciated!

Just a personal warning on the Krell side. The amps run v hot and by this age often need quite a lot of caps replacing - I got quite stung a few years back on this front.

The original Apogee Duettas are also known for issues and might need to go for an overhaul. Some folks here have lovely restores but you’ll need budget set aside for it. Speak to Christoph and Justin on here - they are Apogee owners and experts.

Deandolla

Jun 16, 2019
Loganville/Conyers Ga
Just a personal warning on the Krell side. The amps run v hot and by this age often need quite a lot of caps replacing - I got quite stung a few years back on this front.

The original Apogee Duettas are also known for issues and might need to go for an overhaul. Some folks here have lovely restores but you’ll need budget set aside for it. Speak to Christoph and Justin on here - they are Apogee owners and experts.
Thanks for the reply and I understand that the speakers probably will have to be restored and that the amps are risky but it seems like a crazy good deal to pass up ,I'm not looking for nothing too major it would be nice to have the appogees with the 150s running them in decent shape to listen to every now and then is what I had on my mind

Last edited:

Deandolla

Jun 16, 2019
Loganville/Conyers Ga
And thanks for the advice I've got about two or three hours left to make a decision or the deal is off thx again

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
And thanks for the advice I've got about two or three hours left to make a decision or the deal is off thx again

Hopefully Christoph and Justin will chime in soon for you.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
That's a crazy good deal assuming it all works OK.

That's the problem. Does it?

Even if it doesn't, if the speakers are not working properly and the rest is it is still a good price, but only if you are prepared to send the speakers away for refurbishment. That's going to cost more than $2000 to resolve for a re-ribbon throughout.

It's risky without knowing more, but I'd pay $2000 for some totally broken Duettas if I was starting from scratch assuming the magnet arrays are all OK. But only with a view to spending far more.

Deandolla

Jun 16, 2019
Loganville/Conyers Ga
Thanks for the feedback I'm like you that's what I was kind of thinking I do want to redo the speakers soon and I thought about selling the mark amps and keeping the 150 they have some kind of wire that is a $700 alone they were showing me and I looked it up I'm heading over there now to pick them up thanks again for the help

Reactions: christoph

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
No problem.

Post some pics of the Duettas when you get them. Can offer more advice and answer questions etc.

Reactions: christoph

Deandolla

Jun 16, 2019
Loganville/Conyers Ga
Got it it looks great but it does show its age some probably will have to restore the speakers from what little research I have done in the last day or two I had to buy this deal this weekend or never ,lady moving to the West coast tomorrow one of the aragon amps are two different sizes looks like one is a 400 is an 800 trying to figure out all these cords the manual did come with the speakers and this is pretty new to me for the most part I've always wanted something like this boy do I have my hands full these things are crazy heavy in any help or advice I can get how to hook these up and check them LOL to see if if they work and how good they work the lady I got them from I've known her a long time her husband had these right before I met her four years ago she said it's the last time they were hooked up and she said they were perfect but he died she does not know much about except he would switch the amps back and forth four different kinds of music she said I was getting cold feet and she ended up letting me have it for $1,000 even hopefully I didn't go wrong.

Attachments

• IMG_20190616_232420.jpg
    IMG_20190616_232420.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 38
  • IMG_20190616_232427.jpg
    IMG_20190616_232427.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 39
  • IMG_20190616_232313.jpg
    IMG_20190616_232313.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 41
  • Screenshot_20190615-231208.png
    Screenshot_20190615-231208.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 40
  • IMG_20190616_232317.jpg
    IMG_20190616_232317.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 39
  • IMG_20190616_232307.jpg
    IMG_20190616_232307.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 41
  • IMG_20190616_232353.jpg
    IMG_20190616_232353.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 39
  • IMG_20190616_232405.jpg
    IMG_20190616_232405.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 36
  • IMG_20190616_232327.jpg
    IMG_20190616_232327.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 34
  • IMG_20190616_232336.jpg
    IMG_20190616_232336.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 33

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
This is what some audiophiles euphemistically call "a project"?

Reactions: bonzo75

Kcin

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
Canada
This is what some audiophiles euphemistically call "a project"?
You stole it. Well done. Understand it will cost thousands to restore but .... you will have a system that rivals current state in many areas for a fraction of the price . If they run then enjoy ... decide later . Worst case you can make some money.

Congrats.

Deandolla

Jun 16, 2019
Loganville/Conyers Ga
Sorry guys there's one picture in there that I screenshotted a while back I was comparing to I accidentally uploaded I cannot delete the one pretty Shiney painted black one obviously is not mine, anybody know a good thread that I could go to to get some info on how these wire up I have the book which give some insight but I would love to read a thread informative on this project. The green wires which are numbered I think are the speaker wires and they said that we're $600 for those green wires alone

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Dean, I've heard a pr Duettas owned by User211, restored at reasonable cost. A very dramatic and hugely impressive spkr. Reach out to him.

Reactions: Deandolla

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
If you are in the US, get them restored from Rich Murry. If you want to hear what a finished product sounds like, you can do so one hour from Penn station in NY, I can connect you to a guy who owns them.

Deandolla

Jun 16, 2019
Loganville/Conyers Ga
No I'm in the Atlanta area I've got to figure out how to try to hook them up first to see if it works anybody know a good thread then I can learn how to read up how to hook up system

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Sorry been busy.

So looking at the pics, the bass panels look to have had an amateur repair done on them. It doesn't look well done at all.

To help I need to know what you know. Are you in anyway an audio enthusiast? Do you have a basic understanding of audio engineering?

It does look like that's not the case from what you have said.

I am also a bit perplexed as you have posted a picture of a refurbished Duetta as well as a pair in poor condition?

EDIT: sorry missed post #13 explaining the refurbed pic.

Last edited:

Deandolla

Jun 16, 2019
Loganville/Conyers Ga
Sorry been busy.

So looking at the pics, the bass panels look to have had an amateur repair done on them. It doesn't look well done at all.

To help I need to know what you know. Are you in anyway an audio enthusiast? Do you have a basic understanding of audio engineering?

It does look like that's not the case from what you have said.

I am also a bit perplexed as you have posted a picture of a refurbished Duetta as well as a pair in poor condition?

EDIT: sorry missed post #13 explaining the refurbed pic.
Thanks so much for the reply I don't know a lot about home audio I've had several competition car stereos over the years but that's been a while I found it amazing that you can tell that much by just looking at those pictures I posted I can get you better pictures I had planned on doing that I'm thinking about hooking it all up and trying to bring it up slowly I just don't want to melt nothing down I've been meaning to take the time to find a thread to get some advice on how to hook these up it has a cable with batteries attached to it from what I understand that goes to the speakers I'm just going to get a little info on what stage I should do this in how I really appreciate you the time to consult with meI was thinking maybe I should just plug the amps up with nothing hooked up and see if they come on for a few minutes before I hook any speakers up is there a test I could do to see if the speakers will halfway play without the base humming dreadful I hear about I'm sure the cones might be have deteriorated but you're saying maybe these have been restored but poorly? I took a flashlight lightning last night for a minute Emma's looking at the ribbon through the grill and it seems to look perfect but not sure what to look for just wonder if they would come on and play nicely doesn't have to be nothing to amazing I would like to use the krell amps and sell the aragon's maybe to help restoring the krell amps or speakers I just got it all home Sunday in recovering from that move this weekend I want to get in there and learn how to hook this up and see exactly what I have what do you think my next step should be? Thanks again

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
First off take two pictures. One of the speaker connections on the back of a speaker and one of the connections on the back of the amp.

BTW they are NOT Duetta Signatures. They are Duetta II but they might have had an upgrade to make them equivalent.

We'll worry about the bass panels and testing the speakers later. Let's just get them going first.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing