Help installing/Calibrating Nagaoka MP-110 on Rega Planar 1

rogerrrr

Feb 9, 2021
Hi,

I'm new to vinyl and hifi, and have recently bought the Rega Planar 1, I want to upgrade the Rega Carbon Cartridge to the Nagaoka MP-110, and have one question with installing the Nagaoka MP-110.

I've researched on how to install it properly and have come across two ways of installing it:

1) From the Youtube video,

HiViNyws channel explains you have to change the VTA Position to 27mm, and no need to add a 2mm spacer.

2) From this other Youtube video,

Vinyl Explorer explains you have to add a 2mm spacer on the tonearm but do not adjust the VTA Position

I was wondering which one will be the better option or will both of these options lead to the same results or will doing both have a better sound?

I already know I have to adjust the counterweight with a stylus pressure gauge

Any help is appreciated, thank you

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
Hi,

I'm new to vinyl and hifi, and have recently bought the Rega Planar 1, I want to upgrade the Rega Carbon Cartridge to the Nagaoka MP-110, and have one question with installing the Nagaoka MP-110.

I've researched on how to install it properly and have come across two ways of installing it:

1) From the Youtube video,

HiViNyws channel explains you have to change the VTA Position to 27mm, and no need to add a 2mm spacer.

2) From this other Youtube video,

Vinyl Explorer explains you have to add a 2mm spacer on the tonearm but do not adjust the VTA Position

I was wondering which one will be the better option or will both of these options lead to the same results or will doing both have a better sound?

I already know I have to adjust the counterweight with a stylus pressure gauge

Any help is appreciated, thank you
Nice turntable.congrats.

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
Welcome,
A bit about the technology, it is advisable to align the tonearm parallel to the platter. To do this, set about 90% of the vertical tracking force of the pickup (nagaoka mp 100 ~ 1.6grams) as recommended by the manufacturer.
Align the tonearm until it is parallel, if necessary insert spacer. When this is done, set antiskating to zero, select a record with a woman's voice. if no Lp is available, go close to the manufacturer's recommendation ~ 1.75grams.
if an LP is available, slowly increase the vtf and hear it. At some point there comes the point where the sound tilts into the dark and the dynamic decreases. turn vtf back a bit until you reach the point where the best sound is achieved.
fine tuning antiskating, take a record with a solo voice in the middle of the stereo with reverberation in the depths. increase antiskating until the reverberation has the greatest depth. The setting is ready, please remember that the cartridge is new, it takes about 50 ~ 60 hours to run in. so after the time it is advisable to check the settings of the vtf and antiskating, whether there is an even better point to increase the sound.
P.S
why tonearm(fig .1 ) parallel, because then the angle of the stylus tip perfect to the groove is to read all information from the lp. Why set vtf this way, because the maximum output voltage is only generated when the cantilever(fig.2 is in the middle in the position to the coils of the cartridge
Fig.1 vtadiagram.jpg
Fig.2
images.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Addicted to hifi

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing