Help me make sense of cleaning fluids!

daytona600

Sep 9, 2012
scotland

slowGEEZR

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2010
Colorado Springs, CO
With my VPI 16.5, I use the Nitty Gritty Purenzyme+ followed by Nitty Gritty Pure 2. It is important to follow the instructions, as it really does take about a minute for the enzyme cleaner to do it's stuff. Before vacuuming, apply the Pure 2 to the record surface where the Purenzyme* already has done it's stuff, there is a chemical reaction that you can smell, as the combined chemicals do their work. After vacuuming and before playing, a few zaps from a Milty Zerostat will remove any static. I've been using a Zerostat for many years and they work. Also, if pants or shirts stick to your skin due to static, a few zaps from the Milty will fix that, too. I'm currently working with my dealer to purchase a new Keith Monks unit (I still am not sure which one) and will probably switch over to their new fluid.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Unfortunately, those are not in my budget. Having said that, I don't really notice any issues with static using my method.

The way to test is to put a record on the platter and look for any dust particles from a sleeve, ect. Use a photo blower ball puff of air to see if the dust just blows away. If it doesn't and just creeps along the record surface, there is some static.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
The way to test is to put a record on the platter and look for any dust particles from a sleeve, ect. Use a photo blower ball puff of air to see if the dust just blows away. If it doesn't and just creeps along the record surface, there is some static.
just tried that on about 4 LP sides....there was the odd spec of dust after removal from the anti-static sleeve, give it a puff of air with a photo blower as you said.....it floated away. No static.

Fred

May 31, 2010
Covington, LA
Unfortunately, those are not in my budget. Having said that, I don't really notice any issues with static using my method.

Neither do I. But I also zap the vinyl with a ZeroStat and then use an anti-static brush right before cuing down the tonearm.

BobM

Feb 5, 2014
Long Island, NY
Personally I found I got very good results using the Disk Doctor fluid and brushes on my 16.5. L'Art du Son is also highly recommended by a good friend, but it is certainly more pricey. VPI fluid is no better than anything you could mix up yourself from alcohol, water and a drop or two of photoflow and not as effective as the others.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing