Help please tracking down distortion

Fishfood

VIP/Donor
Jul 11, 2020
I've been chasing down some distortion in my analog setup, which is a Garrard 401/SME 3012R and an Ortofon SL15 cartridge most of the time. I've got the setup dialed in decently finally but I'm still getting some distortion on high end peaks once or twice a side in the right channel.

Now here's the twist- when I swapped the phono cables, left to right, going into the SUT, to check if it was maybe the speaker, the distortion went away. Swap them back and it's in the right channel again.

Any thoughts? I'm totally confused by this.

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
Swap the channels on phono pre input not SUT. If distortion flips to left channel than it’s a possibility of a SUT problem. Maybe SUT is converting balanced to single ended only on right channel or maybe the tonearm is doing it. Unmount the cartridge then check with a meter if signal negatives are connected to ground on tonearm and SUT.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing