Help with new speakers!

fent4

Sep 23, 2020
Hi everyone! First of all I wanted to say that I'm glad I stumbled upon this page cause I'm already better off having read a bunch here.
At the same time, I'm also more confused so I'm wondering if someone can point me in the right direction.

I know it's a subject that you've seen 100 times here but I'm looking for some advice regarding new speakers.

My budget is around £1000-1200 (USD1200-1500), happier if it's up to £1000 and I was thinking to buy something that is also wireless.
However, I would like to connect it to my technics turntables also, when needed. So all in all, it would be for a combination of TV, laptop, mobile and turntables.

I know my budget is probably less than what some of you would spend on cables but hopefully I can still buy something that I like.

When it comes to music, I listen to drum and bass, techno, reggae music (bit of everything) and when the Mrs is not home then some black metal and sorts. ( :

Initially, I was looking at Naim 2nd generation then the Kef lsx plus a few others but as usual, you have conflicting messages.

Firstly I'm not sure if I should go for the music streaming platforms like Naim (never had the experience) or if I'm better off staying with 2 speakers when it comes to overall sound.
Currently I'm using KRK Rokit 6-s at home and I know a lot of people say they're studio monitors etc. but I got them long time ago when I was younger (and played around with the idea of producing:))
Since then they sort of got stuck with me and I didn't mind using them for general listening. Nowadays especially when it comes to black metal on vinyl, it doesn't sound good for me.

So I would like something where I can hear a bit of difference between what I have now.

Thanks in advance!!

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Hiya, welcome. Your mentioning prices in £ Sterling...are you in the UK?

As an avowed fanboy, I'd suggest Zu Audio Omen Dirty Weekend.

www.zuaudio.com

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
You can get awesome performance for even less than your budget if you can do a little DIY. There is no other way to get this level of performance at this price level.

Check out the GR Research. Either the X-LS Encore 2 way for $249 + Shipping or the X-Static for $649+Shipping

http://gr-research.com/x-lsencorekit.aspx

fent4

Sep 23, 2020
Hiya, welcome. Your mentioning prices in £ Sterling...are you in the UK?

As an avowed fanboy, I'd suggest Zu Audio Omen Dirty Weekend.

www.zuaudio.com

Hi there, yes I'm currently living in London.

I don't really see these speakers available too much, at least when looking online.

Also, they are a bit too big for my current flat if I'm honest. Living in London does that to you :) but I definitely keep them in mind.
Appreciate the reply. :)

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Fent4, I was lucky enough to get a large space in London, but I do fully understand your limitations.
They're 36" x 12" x 12", is that really too big?
Zu run periodic campaigns selling them direct.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing