Help with USB DAC and Moto G6

dwb13

Jan 6, 2020
Hello!

I made an account solely for this post because there's no one I know who can help me with this. I have no idea what the rules for this website are, so I don't know if I'm allowed to post this here, but whatever.
Just a foreword: I am not an audiophile, I'm a college sophomore with very little money. For years, I've used an iPod Touch. I collect CDs, rip them all to my laptop in FLAC and AAC, and put the AAC rips onto my iPod. However, I ran out of storage space on my 128 GB iPod back in September, and I have since acquired thousands of songs I can't really listen to on my surround-sound system. I could just use AUX with my Android phone and get a 512 GB microSD card, but it sounds very obviously worse, and I don't want to listen to music in that sound quality. I really do not want to spend $400 plus tax on a new 256 GB iPod, especially since I know I will eventually need to get another one again when I can't fit any more music on it, so I've been trying to figure out an alternative.
I am thinking about getting a USB DAC, getting a 512 GB microSD card, and downloading USB Audio Player Pro on my Moto G6. I want to spend as little as possible but still have sound that's as good as (or better than) my iPod's direct USB-to-receiver sound quality. I don't truly understand how all of this works, and it gives me a headache, so I really need some help figuring out what to do ASAP.

Would this work? I'm currently looking at getting this stuff:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DP5JHHI/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=AJSAMMUI0EG03&th=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ZWN64RS/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3QLLBS1AWZW7U&psc=1

Would I just connect my phone to the DAC with the OTG cable, then connect the DAC to my receiver with an AUX? (My receiver is a Yamaha RX-V377.) Like I said, all I want is to have audio quality at least as good as my iPod's is via USB while spending the least amount of money possible. Also, would it work the same way with my laptop? Do I just plug the DAC into the laptop and then connect it to the receiver with an AUX cord?

Thank you!

dwb13

Jan 6, 2020
You seem to already know. Everything above sounds like it would work just fine.
Plus there are several YouTube videos to help ...

But would it sound as good? I just wanted to confirm all this before I buy everything.

dwb13

Jan 6, 2020
If it doesn't sound good simply return the USB DAC and the USB wire adaptor, within 30 days (money back guarantee).

I wanted to avoid that if possible, but I had no clue if anyone who knew more about this stuff would've been able to tell me. Thanks.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Last edited:
Reactions: Narayan

Narayan

Oct 6, 2015
If one would by a Meizu smartphone, would that same DAC be inside the phone?
No, not necessarily, look at the specs of the DAC in the phone, if you want a good sounding phone with a decent DAC / Amp look at the LG V30,40,50 or 60 and the LG G6,7 or 8 series (with quad DAC). The older models should be pretty cheap.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing