Herbies Audio Labs tube dampers.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Steve W's recent experience of these on his Pacific tubes has got me thinking. I run 70W/ch Nat Audio SE2SE monos using a quad of 1948 GE 211s. And my Nat Audio Utopia pre uses four 6N1P and two 6N6P driver tubes.

So, there are three ranges of Herbies dampers. The cheaper Ultrasonic SS and Rx, and the pricier titanium ring Hal-O IIIs. It's these latter Halos I'm likely to use on my big super hot 211s.

A few Qs.

First, can you "overdamp" a tube? And is there a risk of that w multiple dampers per tube?

Also, is it pure trial and error to see how well they work?
For instance, w my amps, I cannot install dampers near the socket, chassis top plate precludes this. But I have approx 6" of total tube height to play with. So, go for one, two or three Halos per 211?

My driver tubes are smaller and don't heat up as much. Still stick w Halos for these? Or go for the SS or Rx alternatives?

And most importantly, what am I hoping for/expecting to hear?

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
like you my biggest worry with these was overdamping

I can honestly say that with 3 rings per tube on the KR242's and 2 rings on the RK-KR 5U4G there was zero overdamping

I use a Hal-O lll on the 5U4g around the center of the tube

I use Ultrasonic SS on the 242's top bottom and base and the same on the base of the 5U4G

Reactions: Bobofei86

Steve Williams

Marc

I started with one, then two and finally 3 (at the advice of LeifS)

BTW the biggest gain was placing these at the top of the KR242's

As for which kind to use, these were what Herbie advised

Reactions: Bobofei86

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Ok, I'll get around to emailing him.
I realise a lot of this is trial and error, so one could always start w one Hal-O III per 211 and add on in time. It's just I've had strong advice that I should go one or three per 211...but deffo not two. And just curious why.

It'll have to be Hal-O IIIs on the 211s because of heat output. But on smaller driver tubes, SS and Rx are now possible.

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
Yes you can easily overdamp tubes. But it's always going to be a matter of taste. I've never liked the effect of tube dampers, personally. Though every situation is different.

Reactions: bonzo75

Steve Williams

Yes you can easily overdamp tubes. But it's always going to be a matter of taste. I've never liked the effect of tube dampers, personally. Though every situation is different.
Well I’m here to say that 3 rings on my KR 242’s did not overdamp

Lowrider75

Dec 4, 2019
Well I’m here to say that 3 rings on my KR 242’s did not overdamp
Look at the size of that tube, no wonder you can use 3 dampers.
I found that one Herbie's SS on a small signal tube (12A_7) was beneficial, using 2 overdamped it. Bass was too tight with shorter decay.
YMMV.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

I agree with this, though yes, it can differ system to system

analyzer

VIP/Donor
May 20, 2016
Torino - Italy
I have two dampers from Herbie's audio Lab for my 101d tube, used in a Coincident statement line stage.
The differences with/without is subtle, neverthless audible; with a more satisfying decay without dampers but it's a difficult choice if employs them or not.
Please consider that the 101d tube is enough prone to microphonics due to its structure.
I tried other products from Herbie's and I find always very very good; superb value for the price.

Reactions: Steve Williams

Bobofei86

Apr 11, 2021
Just got a set of RX65 and put them 1/3 down from the top of the RK242 (near the middle of the logo 'K') and it works very well in my system, further lower the nosie floor and increase clarity and resolution, it's the best upgarde in terms of the price/ performance, something like i upgarde a thousand bucks power cord or power conditioner

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
The Herbie's Audio Lab tub dampers have worked well for me on vintage rectifier tubes were I use them on top of the tube (see photo). They've made no difference on the new Sophia Blue 274B for example. I prefer the Shun Mook ebony tube resonators over tube dampers on small vintage preamp tubes (e.g., 12AX7, 12 AU7, etc.) where they seem to both damp and tune resonances.

Attachments

• IMG_2125.jpg
    IMG_2125.jpg
    759.7 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2132.jpg
    IMG_2132.jpg
    544.5 KB · Views: 18

Lowrider75

Dec 4, 2019
The Herbie's Audio Lab tub dampers have worked well for me on vintage rectifier tubes were I use them on top of the tube (see photo). They've made no difference on the new Sophia Blue 274B for example. I prefer the Shun Mook ebony tube resonators over tube dampers on small vintage preamp tubes (e.g., 12AX7, 12 AU7, etc.) where they seem to both damp and tune resonances.
That's good placement of the damper. You don't want to suppress the overtones and harmonics from the tube. My placement is in the upper third where the top of the plates are.

I've only used Herbies on components with exposed tubes. In my room I think sound from the speakers may be causing acoustic vibration.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing