Hi from the UK

montesquieu

Jan 27, 2019
Hi from the UK :)

Had a visit from Kedar today who is a regular here, I have been here before to read the odd thread but it's probably time I joined.

Mainly classical listener, former professional musician earning a crust in IT. I have a decent record collection around 4,000 LPs across a couple of rooms. A bit old school in hifi tastes - TD124/Radford/Ikeda/SPU, Tannoy.

Lots of interesting stuff here and a few known faces it seems.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Good to see you here Tom. To others Tom is one of the tannoy experts, has studied classical music, plays the organ and piano, and has my favorite practical room... One that does not require silly money, is made for average sized rooms, plays music without having to OCD over it

TooCool4

Feb 7, 2013
England
Welcome to WBF montesquieu

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
SpiritOfMusic should be your next visitor from this forum, Tom. Aka Marc.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
SpiritOfMusic should be you next visitor from this forum, Tom. Aka Marc.

I agree, after listening to the silver core 833c today I was think how Marc's Nats would fare with those speakers

montesquieu

Jan 27, 2019
I agree, after listening to the silver core 833c today I was think how Marc's Nats would fare with those speakers

Indeed enjoying the Silvercore 833C's immensely and am thinking hard vs the Radford ST100 which is a really super amp for Tannoys, but the Silvercores have a beguiling way with the musical line. Also no slouch in the controsl department which is making me rethink my very long-held view about single ended amps and the larger Tannoys. (The Silvercores are no ordinary single ended amps though and I think the general conclusion still holds that most single ended amps will be sub-optimal with vintage Monitor series).

Yeah could be good.

Nice to see you here as well Justin. Be good to experience some new viewpoints.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Hi Tom, I'm Ked's afore mentioned Marc. You must be the fellow he and Justin have favourably commented upon. No argument from me re getting a good sound at modest outlay. Maybe we will catch up sometime, the hobby is the very definition of solitary, and it's good to come up for air sometime and be impressed in what others are achieving.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012

Had a visit from Kedar today who is a regular here, I have been here before to read the odd thread but it's probably time I joined.

Mainly classical listener, former professional musician earning a crust in IT. I have a decent record collection around 4,000 LPs across a couple of rooms. A bit old school in hifi tastes - TD124/Radford/Ikeda/SPU, Tannoy.

Lots of interesting stuff here and a few known faces it seems.

We need pics!

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok

Sawasdee Tom. You must be the Master Zen and have good food at home to have him as a regular. I wonder how he manages all the travelings. He must say hello to airport security by first name by now.

Kind regards,
Tang

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Sawasdee Tom. You must be the Master Zen and have good food at home to have him as a regular. I wonder how he manages all the travelings. He must say hello to airport security by first name by now.

Kind regards,
Tang

No airport, he is near London

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
No airport, he is near London
I generally meant you are a frequent flyer. There isnt a 14 days period you dont flyout to listen to a system in another country.

Tang :D

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I generally meant you are a frequent flyer. There isnt a 14 days period you dont flyout to listen to a system in another country.

Tang :D

Yeah it's easy here. Go in the morning back in the evening.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Yeah it's easy here. Go in the morning back in the evening.

And its cheap. Equivalent flights from Bristol cost way more. And directs are a lot harder.

That said you must have spent enough on flights by now to have bought a decent system:)

Reactions: christoph

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
And its cheap. Equivalent flights from Bristol cost way more. And directs are a lot harder.

That said you must have spent enough on flights by now to have bought a decent system:)

Yes but with much more exposure. Having own system is like staring up one's own butt hole when there are so many nicer ones around to stare at.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Yes but with much more exposure. Having own system is like staring up one's own butt hole when there are so many nicer ones around to stare at.

Then again going to visit other people's systems is like butthole surfing.

I bet you listen to The Butthole Surfers a lot.

Reactions: Lagonda and bonzo75

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Hmm, not a pretty sight.

perart1

Mar 17, 2012
Cheltenham
Hi Tom

Good to see you here. A pretty well informed forum without the trolling and misinformation you get in the UK.

montesquieu

Jan 27, 2019
We need pics!

Happy to oblige

Room first - you'll see that the Radford is out front I'm currently evaluating Silvercore 833C amps which I'm rather taken with. My DAC is missing as it's away having further improvements.

Close-up of Tannoy with the cover off, the wood finish is sapele

A full set of Miyajimas in Ikeda headshells - Madake and Takumi Stereo, Zero 0.7 and Premium 1.0 mono (the latter retipped by Ana Mighty Sound with some bamboo in the cantilever for resonance control, somewhat like the Madake), and an old Edison Replica 4.0 SP for 78s (which was Miyajima's original branding).

Pair of Miyajima SUTs - these are wonderfully flexible and a nice improvement on the internal ones in the EAR 912

Finally the TD124, it's an Ikeda 9TT on the Ikeda IT-407 tonearm. Armboards from Konne Design in Germany, plinth is by Russ Collinson, keeping the sapele theme going. Schopper platter and bearing.

Reactions: Bodhi

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Ah Tom, the venerable 124. Ked was always going to visit you.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing