High current amp choice to make to power Aerial 20T V2s

ted_b

Feb 4, 2011
I have a power amp choice to make and the Coda 16.0 (used from an acquaintance), Gato 222 monoblocks (here on loan and in the system for about 2 weeks) and Bricasti M15 are on my shortest of short lists. In addition, rumor has come true that SPL (my pre is the Elector) is coming out with a high power S1200. They will power a pair of Aerial 20T V2s, known to be lovers of current.

I've recently finished building my lower level (walk out basement with 9.5 ft ceilings) specially built audio room, and decided to upgrade my system by going all balanced. This has jettisoned quite a bit of my system, specially my amplification. I've tried Warren's VTV Purify amps (I like them for my Aerial LR5 surround system) with tube buffers on the main system but, lo and behold, they don't drive the 20Ts well enough. Bruno says that the Purify line will have a high-current offering sometime in 2022, With the VTVs the holographics was very nice if a touch edgy, but lower midrange on down is lacking in authority, especially compared to the top half.

I am liking the Gato 222s a lot so far, but have heard a LOT about both the Coda 16.0 and the Bricasti (I know Brian a bit and have heard the M28s several times). I am not sure I can finagle a demo of the used Coda, so I am asking here if anyone has heard 2 out of the three amps in question, or any of them with speakers like the 20Ts. I realize this is a big ask. Thx
Ted

P.S. A version of this post has been on the Coda thread for two weeks but no takers so I decided to try a new thread.

tkoslek

Oct 15, 2014
Grand Rapids, MI
I have gotten a chance to hear the Coda 8 and the Bricasti M15 on the same pair of Dynaudio Temptation speakers. The Coda was a little thicker - it added meat on the bones, so to speak. The Bricasti was fast and nimble and in particular had fantastic imaging. Roger Waters Amused to Death sounded like the barking dog was just outside the listening room and behind the wall, if you know what I mean. That said, based on the source, I could see where it take careful matching to sound great with certain digital sources that might initially be lean. I know the 8 is not in the same league as the 16.0 but I haven't had a chance to hear that to offer any useful thoughts.

ted_b

Feb 4, 2011
Great feedback on the 8 and the M15. I ended up buying the used 16.0 and it shows up here this weekend. If the Gatos are a better match I'll simply sell the 16.0.....but regardless I love others impressions. Thanks so much.
Ted

Reactions: analyzer

K3RMIT

Sep 4, 2020
Yes for timing adjusting your speakers can add or detract from What some post as just the amp. you know enough the effects of amp speaker can be adjusted both before as well at speaker setup. just saying

7ryder

Jan 31, 2015
Great feedback on the 8 and the M15. I ended up buying the used 16.0 and it shows up here this weekend. If the Gatos are a better match I'll simply sell the 16.0.....but regardless I love others impressions. Thanks so much.
Ted
Looking forward to your impressions of the 16.0

ted_b

Feb 4, 2011
The main reason I haven't posted yet is because the used Coda 16.0 showed up DOA. Shipping had caused a couple issues (ribbon cable came loose, two riser cards broke from their moorings) and I'm waiting on new riser cards. I am hoping replacing the risers is all I need to do; otherwise this used amp experiment is over. :(
Ted

7ryder

Jan 31, 2015
Ugh. Sorry to hear about this. Hopefully, you can get it sorted out one way or the other. Happy Holidays!

Chris

ted_b

Feb 4, 2011
Update: I couldn't work the magic of replacing the riser cards with all the other parts in the way (long story), and found another loosened part while doing it....so.....Doug (Coda manufacturer) was very helpful and insisted I send it to him for overall repair and update. He'll send back out asap. He should get the amp tmrw or Wed. In the meantime the Gato dealer is being VERY reasonable and accomodating, so the comparison will probably occur...just a couple weeks late. Stay tuned.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing