High Dynamic Range Music

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Hi guys.

How about a list of recommended albums that really exercise the dynamic range of the system? As some of you know, we are creating a high-end theater in our showroom with a ton of subs, hoping to really reach high SPLs. While movies are a natural to showcase such a range, I tend to not be a fan of making people deaf with shotgun sounds and such. So I thought it would be great to find a selection of music that really pushes the envelop.

Now, I am not talking about everything have to be crazy. But tracks which would surprise people from how quiet to how dynamic they could get.

The idea for this came to me today as I was listening to the very dynamic soundtrack of the movie, The Davinci Code which has a number of delightful tracks which nicely push the dynamic range of the system, without causing ear fatigue.

So how about it? What are your favorites to show off your system?

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
Tricycle, Flim and the BB's

The Sheffield Drum Record, though I no longer have access to it (no CD and haven't set up my old turntable). I still like the first Amanda McBroom/Lincoln Mayorga album (Growing Up in Hollywood Town).

CSO's Mahler 5th, if for no other reason than it's got a great trumpet part!

Some of the early Mannheim Steamroller CDs -- a bit artificial but fun.

I have a few jazz CDs but I'd have to wander down two stories to look and I'm lazy. Joe Sample and Earl Klugh, Romantic Warrior, Heavy Weather, etc.

Some rock, like (of course) Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon, Animals, The Wall, etc.

I have a lot of country but as a rule it's not terribly dynamic. I was weaned on it so I like it anyway. Alabama and The Oak Ridge Boys have some decent dynamics, also some of Kenny Rogers.

Some folk music is recorded well and the percussive instruments make for some fine dynamic testing. Wilson and McKee is a couple I have heard live a few times, and they have some nice recordings of Celtic'ish music with acoustic instruments (dulcimers, guitars, drums, period instruments) and vocals.

That should be enough for y'all to slaughter me for my eclectic taste in music! - Don

MiTT

Jun 28, 2010
Thornton, Colorado
Amir, since your mention of the "DaVinci Code" soundtrack was a Hanz Zimmer composition I'll stick with the theme. Check out his soundtrack from "The Thin Red Line". Another very dynamic film score is to be found in "A Clear and Present Danger".

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Burmester's demo CD from about 5 years ago and Telarc's 1812 Overture and Round Up come immediately to mind.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I use the James Newton Howard and Friends (the Porcaro's from Toto) - great dynamics! .. Shefields Labs pressing,
I also consider The Soldier's Story from Tchaikovsky - i think this is an Angel pressing but not sure,
Another one to consider to show- up with dynamics is the last track from Michael Ruff - Speaking in Melodies - I Will Find You There (Jam). Shefields Labs pressing.
Last but not least - Tool - Lateralus - Reflection (track 11), mind blower! (this is a CD)

Robert

Nov 10, 2010
I consider dynamic as the ability to go from a whisper, to a roar, and back to a whisper.

I have never encountered rock, country, or popular music that I would consider 'dynamic'.

For very accessible orchestral music that revels in dynamics, get composer Rimsky Korsakov, Scheherazade, with Bakels conducting. Another disc by the same composer and conductor is Capriccio Espagnol. Demonstration quality stuff. Nothing deep and intellectual, just pure, clean fun.

DWR

Jul 26, 2010
Western burbs of Detroit
Being a sales showroom it will be a real good idea to have music from all genres, while some people define dynamic as classical music only (rightly or wrongly so) you will be showing off the system to people with different tastes in music so you should have a list of all different types of music to show it off. I will give a couple examples of rock and jazz and others have had good suggestions maybe some blue suggestions would be good to. Rock selections Supertramp from the album Some Things Never Change (1997) tracks 2 and 7, track 2 You Win I Lose and track 7 Sooner or Later both great bass to show off the subs especially track 7. Going multi channel, The Eagles Farewell Tour 1 on dvd played in DTS 5.1, take your pick this is one of the best recordings on dvd imo out there, put on Hotel California and set the volume free, it is an amazing performance. For Jazz you can't go wrong with K2HD recording of Jazz at the Pawnshop. For a blues lover maybe something from Muddy Waters album The Folk Singer.

Dan

The Smokester

Jun 7, 2010
N. California
Beethoven's Sixth (3nd vs 4th movements)
Gladiator--First two tracks
Rickie Lee Jones--It's Like This--Trouble Man
Tchaikovski's 1812 Overture

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Thanks guys! Keep it coming.

BTW, I should have noted that these are digital systems so LP suggestions are not something we can use right now but are surely good for others following this thread for their needs.

I see Telar's 1812 mentioned. I think that was #2 or #3 CD I ever bought circa 1982/1983. I consider the canons in there a bit of a cheat and was hoping more for what Dan mentioned. Quiet, detailed, high fidelity music that then roars from time to time.

And yes, I do need a large profile of content in different genres.

Again, thanks for all the suggestions.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
OK, let me contradict myself a bit :). I have been contemplating a reel-to-reel deck for the showroom. So any suggestions in that area would be useful to for the future.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
OK, let me contradict myself a bit :). I have been contemplating a reel-to-reel deck for the showroom. So any suggestions in that area would be useful to for the future.

now you're talking but be prepared. We might convert you to a different format :)

Amir....I would ask your neighbor Bruce Brown to record a compilation of music for you on tape to demonstrate what you want

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
you won't find a better source than Bruce for great recorded music. I would also speak to Dan Schmalle (DocB) from Bottlehead for an operational well working R2R. Between Bruce and Dan you can't go wrong.

MiTT

Jun 28, 2010
Thornton, Colorado
For a couple of very different titles I can recommend:

1.) Roger Waters "Amused to Death". Amazing dynamics and absolutely jaw dropping, "where the hell is that sound coming from" soundstaging, plus some very interesting music with a healthy dose of Rogers scathing political commentary. Truely a reference class recording.

2.) For world music I can also recommend Vas. They have 4 different albums available; "Sunyata", "Offerings", "In the Garden of Souls" and "Feast of Silence" (the latter 3 all HDCD encoded). Very good music, well recorded with a great ambiance and strong dynamic swings. Think Dead Can Dance, but with a heavy Persian/Trance vibe. Vocalist Azam Ali is incredible, and has released a few solo albums ("Elisyum For the Brave" and "Portals of Grace") as well as appearing in numerous sountrack albums including 300 and Matrix Revolution. Highly recommended if you would like some very unique World Music.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
There are some fireworks in my music collection. From the top of my head:

Reference Recordings Tutti

Reference Recording: EIJI OUE / MINNESOTA ORCHESTRA

Delos Alan Hovahness Mount Helen Symphony

DMP Warren Bernahrt / Heat of the Moment

CMP Records : Trilok Gurtu / Usfret

Hadouk Trio : Live at The Baldamore

I would also add the Thin Line, already recomended

It would be important to remember that these are truly dynamic recordings. Not Loud, DYNAMIC. The low passages are truly ppp. In some of these for example the Alan Hovahness' Mount Helen, the low passages are so faint that you may have the impulse to raise the volume... Careful because the thunder will come and with force.. I could say the same about Usfret or the Tutti or The Repighi.. Simply listen to these .. And the music is good to boot..
Not only are these extremely dynamic recordings. The recording in all of these are truly reference quality.. We already knew about Reference Recordings. The Delos is another extremely well recorded and the Warren Benhart CD an interesting perceptive of how a big piano sounds when properly coerced ...

Last edited:

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
1.) Roger Waters "Amused to Death". Amazing dynamics and absolutely jaw dropping, "where the hell is that sound coming from" soundstaging, plus some very interesting music with a healthy dose of Rogers scathing political commentary. Truely a reference class recording.

I second this!! It is an amazing recording. Listen to the axe striking the wood and the wood chips flying on Too Much Rope. The absolute best digital transfer is on the Mastersound "long box" SBM version. See how much people are asking for here:
http://www.musicstack.com/item/191720004

Here are some recordings I use to show off my systems.

Something that would absolutely tax every single woofer in your system:

http://www.amazon.com/Paramita-XRCD2-He-Xun-tian/dp/B000G19QZI

and

http://www.amazon.com/Master-Chinese-Percussion-K2-HD/dp/B001CR68AG

For natural dynamics, you can't beat this one from Winston:

http://www.elusivedisc.com/prodinfo.asp?number=LIMHD022

About the most dynamic piano recording I know - unfortunately out of print.

In terms of DVDs, I like the opening to this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Phil-Collins-...ef=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1289416819&sr=8-1

Do we all get an invite when you finish your theater? :D

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Boy, this thread is exceeding my expectation! Thanks a lot guys. Frantz, you are right on the money as far as what I am looking for. I have to dig into my RR library to see if I have that track. I had forgotten about those as they are truly dynamic.

Gary, your test tracks are also ideal. And for sure, everyone is always invited. I will write up a full description once it is all up and running (hopefully end of the month). The room is a home theater foremost but I am hoping it does justice to music just the same given the extensive amount of acoustic treatment and design that has gone into it. So as long as people don't expect the room to be a tailored analog 2-channel :), we should be able to have fun with it. Perhaps we could host one of the PNW audio society meetings there.

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
Amir, the Minnesota Orchestra BIS recordings have been measured as having as much as 85dB of dynamic range. Here is an example:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing