High Dynamic Range Music

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
Just saw this list from Velodyne: http://velodyne.com/vlounge/Killersubs_demos.pdf

It includes music and movie cuts. Do folks agree with the selections?

Amir,

Some of the selections are pretty good. It looks like that list was compiled some time ago. Most of these will impress.

One of the biggest, baddest bass demos is not listed:

War of the Worlds with Tom Cruise. The scene with the lightning storm and the emergence of the underground alien pods is downright scary. Low-frequency waterfalls of this section are extremely "colorful". The effect is like an earthquake in your theater.

A great bass demo is the solo by Stanley Clarke on the Return to Forever: Live at Montreux Blu-ray. Both articulation and slam in one package.

Just a few added examples!

Lee

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
One of the biggest, baddest bass demos is not listed:

War of the Worlds with Tom Cruise. The scene with the lightning storm and the emergence of the underground alien pods is downright scary. Low-frequency waterfalls of this section are extremely "colorful". The effect is like an earthquake in your theater.
Thanks Lee. But how does one bring himself to watch such a horrible remake? :).

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Funny, I heard you were a tough guy.....

Lee
Well, I have to show my softer side sometime!

OT story about when I saw this movie. I was in Osaka Japan when it had come out and had a few hours to kill so decided to go with a Japanese friend and experience theaters there. They had the movie in both dubbed and English with Japanese subtitles. We chose the latter naturally for my sake. Turns out most of the Japanese prefer it that way too and the theater was packed. We are watching the movie and it gets toward the end where there is some kind of report about the aliens dying or something in Osaka. I found the coincidence of them mentioning Osaka where we were watching the movie kind of funny so I chuckled. Only to have a whole bunch of Japanese starring at me to say, "what was funny about that?" I felt rather embarrassed after the fact.

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
Amir,

Here's another sonic wallpaper-peeler:

http://www.isomike.com/highaltitudedrums0708.html

This SACD disc is recorded in the Iso-Mike format of 4.0 surround. It is completely uncompressed, so you must turn your volume control up considerably above your normal settings. While not to everyone's taste musically (most percussion-based discs aren't), this one will part your hair.

Lee

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Is it only me or does anybody else find that these Isomike recordings sound like the musicians are playing in a pit between the two loudspeakers?

I bought most of the ones available two RMAF's ago after hearing the demo and thought that they were great, but I can't get over the soundstage (orchestral pit?)

To keep this going, whenever I REALLY want to impress people with bass, I have three go-to albums:

1) Za Ondenkoza (The Devils on drums):
http://www.amazon.com/Dotoh-Banri-Ondekoza/dp/B00005GW8S/ref=pd_sim_sbs_m_5
http://www.amazon.com/Fujiyama-Ondekoza/dp/B00000I397/ref=ntt_mus_ep_dpi_1

2) The track "Earth Drums" from the album Paramita:
http://www.amazon.com/Paramita-XRCD...9QZI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1292105611&sr=1-1

The first time I heard this album was in Manila - when there was a loudspeaker shoot-out involving one of my speakers. I thought that the woofers were going to come flying out!!

bwraudio

Jan 24, 2011
Reference HrX Recordings

For dynamic range, these classical and jazz recordings are a must. These recordings can not play on a cd player. These are DVD-R data discs that contain high bit-rate WAV files. The recordings are made at 176.4 kHz, 24 bit and playable on computer based music servers or a few speciality players. PS Audio's Perfectwave System is one of the best available for these recordings. These master recordings are the best available and there is no compression or limiting used. For the best sound out there, Reference Recordings HRX

IMG_0960..jpg

JonFo

Jun 11, 2010
Big Canoe, GA
www.jonathanfoulkes.com
For a more modern repertoire:

Porcupine Tree recordings on DVD-A have stunning dynamic range and are supremely clear recordings. Even in very dense passages, on a good system, you can hear every last note in these recordings.
Fear of a Blank Planet and Deadwing are 'heavier' prog/metal and Stupid Dreams is superb prog. They are generally approachable, and people who've never heard of them immediately ask for album info after the demo.

From Deadwing - Halo a 'short' piece with great dynamics

From Fear of a Blank Planet - Anesthetize (long song, but will demo every inch of any system. Calibrate for peaks of 105dB SPL and stand back)

From Stupid Dreams - Tinto Brass track 5 (great for demonstrating bass/mid-bass strength in the system. make sure your center channel can keep up.)

If it's an A/V room, the definitely get the Anesthetize BluRay concert. HighRez audio track that again is well recorded and mixed by the master himself (Steve Wilson).

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
What is the most dynamic, well recorded music you have heard to date?

We all have reference recordings. We all have our favorite genre's of music. We all have our favorite albums. What would you say is your "must have" recording that has a stellar dynamic range that shows what it is that your rig can really do?

Here's my contribution...key words...dynamic!

Hugh Masekela's, "Stimela" 10 minutes and 5 seconds long off the Burmester CD III. The original CD doesn't hold a candle to this.

What say you?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
A few.

Reference Recordings John Rutter Pie Jesu Dallas Wind Symphony (dynamic range, depth and soundstage, and all-out orchestral power)
Dead Can Dance Spirit Chaser MFSL remastered (bass, mid and treble detail)
Hoodoo Man Blues - Junior Wells 'Wee' Track...Analogue Productions Remaster. (incredible to show off low noise floor...a late night/early morning blues song with a lot of quiet passages...if your system hisses, you'll hear it)
BarGrooves...Deep House to demonstrate absolute visceral control at extraordinary deep bass synthesized
Cantate Domino - Same as John Rutter above

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Probably the most dynamic are the IsoMike recordings.

We remastered the Sheffield Track and Drum album for FIM that was pretty dynamic as well.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
We all have reference recordings. We all have our favorite genre's of music. We all have our favorite albums. What would you say is your "must have" recording that has a stellar dynamic range that shows what it is that your rig can really do?

Here's my contribution...key words...dynamic!

Hugh Masekela's, "Stimela" 10 minutes and 5 seconds long off the Burmester CD III. The original CD doesn't hold a candle to this.

What say you?

British Band Classics volume 2 from Mercury.

Also, Arnold Overtures on 15 ips r2r tape from The Tape Project.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Can't be just one there are a few that comes to mind:

Several of them from Reference Recordings.
Dafos... Reference Recordings
Bolero! RR
John Rutter Pie Jesu Dallas Wind Symphony on RR
Hovahness Mount Helen Symphony on Delos
Burmester CD3
Warren Bernhardt "Heat of the Moment" on DMP
more later :)

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Yeah, same here, Reference Recordings, and Sheffield Labs, quick out of my mind.
Also some selections from DMP, Wildchild (Mapleshade), and APO record labels.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I find flamengo/gypsie music very dynamic , manitas de plata for example , that would be on LP .

In movies it would be HEAT .

In cds it would be Ravel orchestrations

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I listen to little classical and no audiophile, but in the world of more conventional recordings, Joni Mitchell's "Travelogue" has some great orchestral dynamics. For the small stuff, where the nuance lives, try Jorma Kaukonen's "Blue Country Heart." Oodles of powerful, natural stringed-instrument attack, from stand-up bass to mandolin.

Tim

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing