High Dynamic Range Music

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Many come to my mind, but the first that assaults my memory is the last track from Michael Ruff's album (Speaking of Melodies) - Sheffields Lab.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
http://www.fidelioaudio.com/prod/production_show.php?id=10
http://www.fidelioaudio.com/prod/production_show.php?id=30

Those 2 make Reference Recordings John Rutter Pie Jesu Dallas Wind Symphony blush........
Odyno an organ music fan!
Hello Odyno and thank you for your suggestion. Well, thank all of you for for your suggestions for that matter. I do have a question for the recordings linked above. Are they only available as a download or can a physical purchase be made? I notice that the RR of John Rutter Pie Jesu Dallas Wind Symphony blush has been mentioned many times. I think I'll go ahead and order that one today. Frantz, this thread is not limited to just one. Please feel free to list all of your most dynamic, well recorded pieces.

Odyno

Dec 27, 2011
Near Montreal Canada
Hello Treitz3
I have both of them on CD.
You should go ahead and buy Reuter on RR as well as it is one of my favorite as well.
If you order Reuter on RR, you should order

MEPHISTO & CO.
"The Absolute Sound Super Disc List"
Ghosts, goblins, spirits and demons run amok in this program of infernal orchestral favorites: MEPHISTO WALTZ (Liszt), NIGHT ON BALD MOUNTAIN (Mussorgsky), TAM O' SHANTER (Arnold) and many more in an explosive witches' brew!

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
This i heard on my last trip to bolivia , this is the music of the highland andes indians of bolivia , very funny nice people , i wouldnt call it a good recording off course
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsImYbd0v-M

They also have "pena huari " music i think it is called ,thats very dynamic its played in a restaurant in la paz

Last edited:

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
We all have reference recordings. We all have our favorite genre's of music. We all have our favorite albums. What would you say is your "must have" recording that has a stellar dynamic range that shows what it is that your rig can really do?

Here's my contribution...key words...dynamic!

Hugh Masekela's, "Stimela" 10 minutes and 5 seconds long off the Burmester CD III. The original CD doesn't hold a candle to this.

What say you?

stimela of the burmester disc is from Hugh Masakelas "hope" album the entire disc is great and available on SACD and 45 rmp LP.

two discs i found that will work your system over are Mino Cinelu's eponumous CD and Marcus Millers "M2". i cant really play these very loud on my ESL's my car system is more robust and the woofers will still try to dislodge themselves from the baskets. they're great discs for chasing down resonances, rattles etc. even the music is listenable.

for LPs, hands down M&K Flamenco fever direct-to-disc. i have several symphonic/classical recordings with dynamics galore and would need more time time to sift through them, but almost anything engineered by Ken Wilkinson played at Kingsway hall.

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
If you're asking about "show off the system" most dynamic, well recorded music, about the best I've heard in the past couple of years is Track 13 on this:

http://www.elusivedisc.com/prodinfo.asp?number=LIMUHD047

However, the music isn't for everyone. It's a bit strange.

For music that I would actually listen to, a couple come to mind:

The piano on track 1 would make many tweeters, midranges and SS amplifiers distort - it's very closely mic'ed. The vinyl and SACD are almost unobtainium.

On 45rpm vinyl, Side 1 Track 2 is just absolutely brilliant. Exciting music that is goosebumps inducing:

The hand-claps and foot stomping on track 2 combined with the fervor of flamenco makes this one another stand-out from FIM:

For big-band, this one is actually an affordable, still obtainable Direct-to-Disc and sounds fabulous. Fantastic toe-tapping music, and extremely dynamic brass punctuation.

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
A good one is the Cowboy Junkies cover of Springsteen's 'State Trooper' on Whites Off Earth Now. Some of the guitar hits can make you jump out of your seat.

Soundproof

Jan 13, 2012
Oslo, Norway
They pushed the envelope here. If you have a listening space with a low noise floor, you are in for a special treat, particularly if your system goes full range without distortion as the music crashes through the ceiling.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Harry James & His Big Band - 'The King James Version' - Sheffield Lab-3 Direct cut.

Bruce, any hope to have a decent digital version of it? :)

Attachments

• aa5.jpg
    aa5.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 262

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
As a complete contrast to the "perfect" Sheffield Lab recording I have a el cheapo Harry James CD "Things ain't what they used to be" -- US Navy transcriptions of The Harry James Show, 48/49. This is a system killer, partly because of the recording "quality" but also because the recording technique was very simple, and all the dynamics of the sound were picked up. The band is going at a hundred miles an hour, this is show band material at maximum rev's: on a normal system the sound can be diabolical, your brain will overload in 30 secs or less.

But, and a very big but, if your system is all together then this becomes an amazing showpiece: the energy and drive of the music is phenomenal. The recording makes you understand what an amazing buzz it would have been as a musician playing with the band, a listener present would have been totally exhausted by the end of an evening.

There is no inherent distortion of any of the instruments, it's just a relatively noisy recording -- a good one for a number of reasons ...

Frank

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Frank, I have been searching for your above music selection in the last 60 minutes and more.
But helas I couldn't find it; the exact CD with that particular tune.

But I found a lot of cool info on Harry James' history.
And among it I did find this link which I truly like,
with the video playing of Harry James and his trumpet playing.
Very lovely music from the 40s: => http://www.musicsense.org/129583video1760012-Night-Special.htm

From that I appreciate you even more. ..I bet you were born in 1942.
Which means you are 70 years old. Simply amazing sir!
And I have a friend who knows about the electronics from the 20s, 30s and 40s.
He's an audiophile; always was. Absolutely fascinating!

* You made me going back to when I was 5-6 years old (over 50 years ago),
and Dad was listening to this exact type of music in our livingroom.

Last edited:

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
Man, don't I feel like the donkey now. I just glanced down and saw that Amir has already created a thread similar to this one. My apologies, Amir. I somehow missed this thread.

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?2010-High-Dynamic-Range-Music

^^^Amir's original thread linked above.^^^ I invite those who are reading this thread to check out the suggestions in the link above.

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
Frank, I have been searching for your above music selection in the last 60 minutes and more.
But helas I couldn't find it; the exact CD with that particular tune.

But I found a lot of cool info on Harry James's history.
And among it I did find this link which I truly like,
with the video playing of Harry James and his trumpet playing.
Very lovely music from the 40s: => http://www.musicsense.org/129583video1760012-Night-Special.htm

From that I appreciate you even more. ..I bet you were born in 1942.
Which means you are 70 years old. Simply amazing sir!
And I have a friend who knows about the electronics from the 20s, 30s and 40s.
He's an audiophile; always was. Absolutely fascinating!

* You made me going back to when I was 5-6 years old (over 50 years ago),
and Dad was listening to this exact type of music in our livingroom.
Well, you're out by 10 years, Bob, I was born in '52! I grew up listening to old time dance music on the valve radio, with its cracked bakelite casing held together with some string: that was nowhere near what this CD sounds like. I reckon a modern player wouldn't last more than 2 songs without having to go off and have a rest ...

Ah, the CD: the label is Jazz Collection, from Object Enterprises Ltd in the UK, done in '89. Being a real cheapie, no liner notes apart from what I mentioned. Catalogue OR0073, first 3 tracks are:

1. Shine
2. Block Party
3. Proclamation

If these don't smoke your speaker drivers there's something wrong ... :b:b

Frank

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
Thank you, Sir! ;)

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Frank, on the Internet, it is a compliment when someone thinks you are older than you truly are.
It means they think that you are a more mature person, that's all. :b
And that has nothing to do with your natural and physical beauty.

Anyway, I'm glad that you made me discover Harry James; a fine trumpet player.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing