"High End" Speakers you have owned

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
This discussion may exist elsewhere but I did not see it. If it does, mods please feel free to re-direct me to the correct location.

My List (in the approximate order I bought them):

EJ Korvette House Speaker (first speaker I bought after college graduation - replaced my college turntable/amp/speaker combination); Klipsch Cornwall; Klipsch Heresy; North American Sound, 3 Panel Maggies from the early 70's (don't recall the name or model number); Dalquist DQ-10; JBL L200; Fuselier; Theil (don’t recall the model number but it was their high end speaker at the time - early 90’s); B&W 801; Apogee Duetta; Apogee Diva; Wilson Watt/Puppy (5.1); Dunlavy SC-IV’s; Dunlavy SC-V’s; Dunlavy SC-VI’s; Seaton Catalysts; Triad Platinums.

Speakers I enjoyed the least: B&W 801's; Watt/Puppy. I could never get the bass of the 801's to sound any thing like real or normal. With the Watt/Puppies, I was never able not hear the speakers. I don't mean they did now through out a nice soundstage but rather they called far too much attention to themselves. Wilsons I have hear more recently do not have the characteristic.

Speakers I enjoyed the most(may or may not have been the most accurate): Apogee Diva; Dunlavy SC-VI

I LOVED the Diva's. Just a remarkable speaker (as long as you had the right amp to drive them. In my case, Krell mono blocks). The Dunlavy had one strong point - mid bass - but did everything else better as a whole than any other speaker I had heard up until maybe 6 years ago.

ricjor1

Oct 13, 2012
JLAudio F112.jpg I don't know if they are considered "high end", but I've owned the following speakers: JBL 4312, , Klipsch Hersey, Klipsch La Scala, Klipschorn, Mirage M1, Artemis EOS, Devore Fidelity Gibbons, Wilson Sophia 2, Wilson Sophia 3, Wilson Sasha 1, Revel F52, Revel F208, Aerial 7T, and Monitor Audio PL500 II. Speakers are listed in order of ownership.

Speakers I've enjoyed the most were Artemis EOS, Aerial 7T, my current, hopefully my last, and definitely my favorite Monitor Audio PL500 IIs.

Last edited:

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Emsemble Reference monitors, Reference 3A MM De Capo BE monitors.

That's it.

First set of speakers 1991-2016 (25 years, with some modifications over the years). Addition of subwoofer (REL Storm III) in 2000, until present day.

My third and probably last speakers will be the Reference 3A Reflector monitors, to be bought in a few years' time.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Maggie MMG, Linn, Vandersteen 1B, AMT Heil B, Maggie 1.7, PBN Montana SPX, Infinity Prelude, Quad 2805, Focal BE, PBN Montana EPS 2, Avantgarde Uno Nano and currently Quintessence Stealth.

Obviously I have issues.

ricjor1

Oct 13, 2012
Maggie MMG, Linn, Vandersteen 1B, AMT Heil B, Maggie 1.7, PBN Montana SPX, Infinity Prelude, Quad 2805, Focal BE, PBN Montana EPS 2, Avantgarde Uno Nano and currently Quintessence Stealth.

Obviously I have issues.

Funny...I submit most of us have issues.

ricjor1

Oct 13, 2012
I heard your Monitor Audio speakers at CES and was absolutely blown away by the sound and the fit and finish. Congrats.

Thanks for the compliment.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
I am somewhat of a different breed. I took a well regarded, yet not Hi-Fi speaker and made it into one. With that said, I'm game for this thread.

Tyler Acoustics Signature Reference Series, 1 piece stock. Completely redone with external crossovers. More later and on a different thread. You may not buy the fact that these baby's are Hi-Fi but will put them up against some very heavy contenders and many will be shocked. Fidelity is key, not price IMO.

Tom

Nooshinjohn

Mar 14, 2017
I have had Magnepan MG20's in the mix, but currently have Polk Audio SDA 1.2TL's up front. They have been fully restored and updated to currently accepted specification. I am on the hunt however, for a set of Usher DMD speakers.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
Hello John. I have not seen you here before until now. Please allow me to offer you a very warm welcome to the What's Best Forum! For the rest of the forum, John is a good friend of mine and his kit may surprise you.

On a different thread, you should introduce your amplifiers....if you are willing. I think folks would be interested in them, the build and the quality. For now, have a good evening sir.

Tom

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I cycled through a lot of affordable speakers for many years because that's what I could afford :) Here goes

As a student

AR Rock Partners
Canton (forgot which models)
B&W 302
B&W 601s and 605s

Newly wed condo life

Bedroom

B&W CDM-1 and CDM-2
Maggie SMGc
Dynaudio Contour 1.3 and 1.8
VSA VR-1
LSA Statement

Living room

Energy Veritas
Revel F30
Maggie 1.7 QR

Annexed condo

VSA VR-4 Gen 3 HSE
VSA VR-4 SR
VSA VR-5
VSA VR-9 Mk1

Stable and house finally built

Bedroom

VSA Unifield 3 (I miss you!)
Endeavor E3 Mk1
VSA VR-44 Aktiv

HT

VSA VR-4 Mk3 with Vision Center

Dedicated Room

VSA VR-9 Mk2 (Bronze)
VSA VR-9 Mk2 (Piano Black)
VSA VR-11 Mk2
VSA VR-44 Aktiv (while waiting for ......)
VSA Ultra 11

I guess you can say that my aesthetic sense has been locked in with that of VSA and changes have been in step with theirs. I haven't looked back since I heard VR-4 Mk2s at a friends and got Mk3 HSEs for myself.

Nooshinjohn

Mar 14, 2017
Hello John. I have not seen you here before until now. Please allow me to offer you a very warm welcome to the What's Best Forum! For the rest of the forum, John is a good friend of mine and his kit may surprise you.

On a different thread, you should introduce your amplifiers....if you are willing. I think folks would be interested in them, the build and the quality. For now, have a good evening sir.

Tom
Thanks Tom... I will put something together on the amps when I get a chance. They are still rockin' 5 years later and just as beautiful to look at as the day they were born. Here is a quick peak for now. I will post in the appropriate place later on... IMG_0568.JPG

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Tyler Acoustics Signature Reference Series, 1 piece stock. Completely redone with external crossovers. More later and on a different thread. You may not buy the fact that these baby's are Hi-Fi but will put them up against some very heavy contenders and many will be shocked. Fidelity is key, not price IMO.

Tom

Absolutely. Fidelity is key, not price. My speakers at $ 3K are even cheaper than yours (ok, the stands that I bought 26 years ago had a not insignificant price tag too, and the subwoofer as well), but I would bet anyone who has heard them in my system would consider them high fidelity indeed (or 'high-end' these days). I also could put them up against some very heavy contenders and many would be shocked.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Ok, I will play this game:

Klipsch La Scallas (long term loan...didn't really own them but had them for 3 years)
Paradigm 5se
DIY Dynaudios (Madisound kit)
DIY own design (1st order 2-way with Peerless CSX 6 1/2 inch midbass and Morel tweeter, Wood/concrete cabinets CNC machined by myself)
Infinity Modulus satellites with Boston Acoustics 10" sub
Dynaudio Contour 1.8 MkII
Audiostatic ES100
Infinity Modulus satellites again w/sub
Infinity IRS Beta
Apogee Caliper Signature
DIY planar hybrid (BG Radia 28.1 driver and Peerless CSX 10" woofer in separated massively built cabinets. Accuphase F25 active crossover). Still have the speakers but need a new Xover as I sold the F25
Acoustat 1+1
STAX ELS-F81 (long term loan: 2 years)
Acoustat Spectra 2200
Acoustat Spectra 4400
Odeon Orfeo
Genesis III (biggest mistake...terrible bass alignment but the mids were sweet)
Genesis VI (a very good multi-driver speaker...awesome bass, amazing mids)
Reference 3a Master Control MMC (later upgraded to Be tweeter from Ref 3a)
Reference 3a L'integrale (upgraded tweeter but not Be)
Reference 3a La Veritas (owned all three Ref 3as at the same time)
Odeon La Boheme (current main speakers) with Mirage BPSS 210 servo sub
Odeon Rigoletto (current second/TV speakers)

Reactions: Bodhi

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
After seeing some other [strike]addicts[/strike] audiophiles list of speakers, I feel a lot better. :D

As for the price vs performance comment, agree 100%. Take a really good pair of speakers, carefully place them in a properly treated room, add digital room EQ as necessary, mod as appropriate, and bingo. Had I done that with my large Dunlavy's (mod as appropriate - swap out the tweeter), I would probably still own them.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I would say my first 'high end' pair of speakers were the Infinity RS3b, younger brother to the RS2b and RS1b which my salary could not afford at that time. Then the following:

Living Room: (Mid 80s)
Celestion SL600
Celestion SL600si

Bedroom:
Spica TC50

Dedicated listening room:

B&W Matrix 3 (Late 80s)
Thiel CS3.5 (Late 80s)
B&W 801 series 3 (Early 90s)
B&W Matrix 800 (Mid 90s)
Magnepan 2.7QR (Late 90s to present)

Dreaming about at 3.7i (present day) :D

CraigS720

Apr 16, 2014
I have had relatively few speakers over a 35 year span.

Rogers LS3/5a
Infinity RS1b
ATC SCM 50 ALS
Eventus Audio Nebula / JL audio F112 subs

In the home theater, NHT all around

Craig

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
I see we have a new member here...

Hello CraigS720 and please allow me to offer you a very warm welcome to the What's Best Forum sir. Thank you for joining in on the conversations!

Tom

Reactions: RussR

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
You are welcome. Enjoy the conversations sir.

Tom

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing