High Fidelity EMM XDS1 Review

LenWhite

Feb 11, 2011
Florida
systems.audiogon.com
A very positive High Fidelity review by Wojciech Pacu?a September 2012 http://highfidelity.pl/@main-313&lang=en. I've read several posts this year of trading the XDS1 for the separates configuration, but interestingly the reviewer opines "the emm Labs XDS1 integrated player is better than the separate-type combo from the same manufacturer".

dmnc02

Member Sponsor
Jul 10, 2012
PA, USA
A very positive High Fidelity review by Wojciech Pacu?a September 2012 http://highfidelity.pl/@main-313&lang=en. I've read several posts this year of trading the XDS1 for the separates configuration, but interestingly the reviewer opines "the emm Labs XDS1 integrated player is better than the separate-type combo from the same manufacturer".

The issue is which "separate-type combo from the same manufacturer". The article mentions the CDSD SE transport and DCC2e SE DAC, so the comparison seems to be with a combo that is two generations old. Having owned several generations of emm products, there is little question that the XDS1 was a significant improvement over even the then-current "separate-type combo" (TSD1 and DAC2). However, although I was skeptical at first that the new combo (TSDX and DAC2X) would be an additional significant improvement over the XDS1 (given that emm is not claiming any new technologies) and my main motivation to upgrade was DSD over USB, the new combo does sound more open and extended, with better definition of individual instruments.

jeromelang

Dec 26, 2011
I got the first hint of something wrong with the XDS1, in a demo early this year, but I choose to ignore it.
No doubt it was detailed, projected a cavenous soundstage unlike nothing i have heard, but the overall balance was lean and lacking low end heist.

My mind then was set on buying a Meitner, and nothing else was going to sway me.

2 months later I brought home a brand new unit, and for a few days I refrained from listening to it critically.
But it was hard not to notice that this brand new unit sounded like the way the demo unit had in the store - lean and harmonically threadbare.
Thinking that perhaps the player needs run in, I let it cook for 2 months, then 3 months, and into its 4th months...
The metallic sheen subsided only ever so slightly.
I caught myself thinking a few times - is that all there is to it?
Did I made a mistake buying something that had been hyped up by incompetent and dishonest reviewers?

When I heard the new combo could be had merely for a top up of the difference in retail prices, I wasted no time.
But I bargained for a few days more to surrender in the XDS1, so that I can listen if the new combo are better and in which area. While the additional dsd over USB feature was an incentive for the trade up, I really wanted to get rid of the XDS1 and ensure that I don't lose any money over it. I figure if I am going to trade up, I should do it as soon as possible, so that I won't be caught out later when too many used XDS1 ended up in the streets.

I really wasn't prepared for the sonic differences.

It was always what I had wanted, but felt silly to admit that I didn't get it after paying 25 grands.

I ran the xds1 into the dac2x to try to see where the major upgrade is focussed on.

The minute I heard it, I straight away understand that the lean, dry sound I heard on my unit and the demo unit was due to problems in the xds1 transport. I plugged back the TSDX and again, all the problems I heard with the xds1 disappeared.

There are 6 other users here, and all of us have the same consensus - the new combo is indeed better than the xds1.

LenWhite

Feb 11, 2011
Florida
systems.audiogon.com
I got the first hint of something wrong with the XDS1, in a demo early this year, but I choose to ignore it.
No doubt it was detailed, projected a cavenous soundstage unlike nothing i have heard, but the overall balance was lean and lacking low end heist.

My mind then was set on buying a Meitner, and nothing else was going to sway me.

2 months later I brought home a brand new unit, and for a few days I refrained from listening to it critically.
But it was hard not to notice that this brand new unit sounded like the way the demo unit had in the store - lean and harmonically threadbare.
Thinking that perhaps the player needs run in, I let it cook for 2 months, then 3 months, and into its 4th months...
The metallic sheen subsided only ever so slightly.
I caught myself thinking a few times - is that all there is to it?
Did I made a mistake buying something that had been hyped up by incompetent and dishonest reviewers?

When I heard the new combo could be had merely for a top up of the difference in retail prices, I wasted no time.
But I bargained for a few days more to surrender in the XDS1, so that I can listen if the new combo are better and in which area. While the additional dsd over USB feature was an incentive for the trade up, I really wanted to get rid of the XDS1 and ensure that I don't lose any money over it. I figure if I am going to trade up, I should do it as soon as possible, so that I won't be caught out later when too many used XDS1 ended up in the streets.

I really wasn't prepared for the sonic differences.

It was always what I had wanted, but felt silly to admit that I didn't get it after paying 25 grands.

I ran the xds1 into the dac2x to try to see where the major upgrade is focussed on.

The minute I heard it, I straight away understand that the lean, dry sound I heard on my unit and the demo unit was due to problems in the xds1 transport. I plugged back the TSDX and again, all the problems I heard with the xds1 disappeared.

There are 6 other users here, and all of us have the same consensus - the new combo is indeed better than the xds1.

I'm not questioning what you're hearing with your own audio system, but with the xds1 in my audio system I'm not hearing any trace of the overall balance being lean or lacking low end authority. In fact IMO the xds1 is one of the most analogue sounding digital players I've heard. With competent source material it projects a wide and deep soundstage, full dynamic contrasts, and realistic full bodied instrumental images.

Perhaps system snergy has something to do with the differences we're hearing? Although I haven't heard the tdsx/dac2x combination; the EMM website description emphasizes the xds1 advancements in the tdsx/dac2x equipment. The only real difference from the xds1 (other than the obvious separation of the drive and dac) that I can find in the EMM verbage pertains to the upsampling rate which apparently on the tdsx doubles the SACD rate. If that's the improvement you're hearing, EMM may be able to implement that with a firmware upgrade.

dmnc02

Member Sponsor
Jul 10, 2012
PA, USA
I'm not questioning what you're hearing with your own audio system, but with the xds1 in my audio system I'm not hearing any trace of the overall balance being lean or lacking low end authority. In fact IMO the xds1 is one of the most analogue sounding digital players I've heard. With competent source material it projects a wide and deep soundstage, full dynamic contrasts, and realistic full bodied instrumental images.

Perhaps system snergy has something to do with the differences we're hearing? Although I haven't heard the tdsx/dac2x combination; the EMM website description emphasizes the xds1 advancements in the tdsx/dac2x equipment. The only real difference from the xds1 (other than the obvious separation of the drive and dac) that I can find in the EMM verbage pertains to the upsampling rate which apparently on the tdsx doubles the SACD rate. If that's the improvement you're hearing, EMM may be able to implement that with a firmware upgrade.

The XDS1 also upsamples to DSD128, like the TSDX/DAC2X, although I have read that emm did make some minor changes to their upsampling technology (MDAT). Even after trading my XDS1 for the TSDX/DAC2X and stating my preference for the latter, I must say that I too am puzzled by Jerome's statement that he found the XDS1 "lean and harmonically threadbare". On the other hand, he seems to believe that the culprit is the transport in the XDS1, and I must admit that I almost never used the XDS1 transport for Redbook CD's, preferring the sound of my computer music server through a Berkeley Alpha USB into the XDS1 DAC. But then even with the TSDX/DAC2X I still prefer the sound from my music server directly into the DAC2X via USB for both PCM and DSD.

Last edited:

jeromelang

Dec 26, 2011
Some people install little silver boxes that spew electromagnetic radiation all around the vicinity of their audio systems.
It's no wonder....

:D

The new transport beyond sounding better, also responds differently to touch.
It's front panel buttons react quicker and firmer.
Another thing I like about the separate units is that whenever I shut down the transport, the dac remains powered up at all times. If I'm listening critically, I would shut down the transport totally (switch at the back) prior to cueing up the desired track to play. This would erase internal TOC memory, which provides better sound.

:D

dmnc02

Member Sponsor
Jul 10, 2012
PA, USA
Some people install little silver boxes that spew electromagnetic radiation all around the vicinity of their audio systems.
It's no wonder....

I don't see how EMI could possibly explain either not finding the XDS1 lean and threadbare or the stated preference for the computer as transport, given that the computer is always turned off when not being used (e.g., when using the XDS1 or the TSDX as transports).

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing