High gain preamplifier for a First Watt SIT-3?

Derekw14

VIP/Donor
Aug 1, 2018
Hi folks, I am looking for a preamplifier with high enough gain to drive my just acquired SIT-3 (that had just 11db of gain itself I think).
At this stage, unless it proves impossible, I’d like this preamp to include a high quality phono stage and a volume remote control.
I assume pre/amp impedance output and input matching is an important consideration, but I am not sure to understand how to look at specs and be able to tell...
Most importantly this preamp would do full justice to the quality of timbres and musical flow of the SIT3.
Thank you for your suggestions!

Reactions: jeff1225

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
conrad johnson GAT

Derekw14

VIP/Donor
Aug 1, 2018
Indeed. I pounced on it!
Budget is somewhat flexible, but let’s say $5-7k, used.

Any experience with the ARC GS Pre?
It’s balanced though whilst the SIT3 is RCA only, so I would need cable adapters though ; and its gain is average rather than high.

Derekw14

VIP/Donor
Aug 1, 2018
conrad johnson GAT
Thank you. I tried one (not the GAT2, the original if I recall correctly) years ago with a different amp, and thought it was quite good but I was not bowled over. If memory serves me right, and with the proviso of the amp pairing, I thought it was perhaps a little dense, leaving me to wish for more fluidity or aeration.

hifinutt

Mar 1, 2020
the arc G series is now discontinued , not sure why . i would use ARC pre with RCA and xlr outputs if i was buying one like the ref 5se perhaps . these xlr to rca can only be a compromise

danielk141

Mar 13, 2012
Derekw14,

Contact Mark at Reno Hi Fi about a demo Pass XP-12. They can increase the gain at the factory for you. My friend had this done to pair an XP-12 with his First Watt F7. You'll also have balanced and single ended inputs/outputs. You won't need to use any adapters...

Reactions: hifinutt

Derekw14

VIP/Donor
Aug 1, 2018
Thanks for the recommendations guys, but again I would really like the preamp to include a remote control and ideally a good phonostage (if not also a DAC...).

Tbzc

Feb 4, 2011
Aesthetix Janus could be interesting match. It has internal flexible phono stage and high gain (23db se, 29db balanced).

Last edited:

Tbzc

Feb 4, 2011
Btw, just looked up at stereophile measurements of SIT3. It has high input impendance (150k-200k) and should therefore work well with tube preamps like janus.

Derekw14

VIP/Donor
Aug 1, 2018
You're very kind. Could you shed some light on how to evaluate this question of impedance compatibility based on specs? I know it's important but struggle with it!

Derekw14

VIP/Donor
Aug 1, 2018
This is among the comments I have found online:

For maximum power transfer the source should have as low output impedance as possible. However, if the source has a relatively high output impedance and you can't modify it then the load should have the same impedance for maximum power. If the load impedance is higher, the power will be lower, if load impedance is lower, more power will be dissipated by the load. That's why vacuum tube amplifiers use output transformers to match the high impedance of the amp and low impedance of the speakers. –

So if the SIT3 has high impedance input, that means it can accommodate preamps with relatively high (but not much higher than it?) impedance output, do I understand correctly?

Interestingly the preamp I heard the SIT3 with on demo before buying one, was a tube preamplifier and the match seemed felicitous!

Tbzc

Feb 4, 2011
It is crucial to have electrically compatible pre and power amp. Output impedance of preamp and input impedance of power amp are among important factors of it. Others are gain and output voltage, input sensitivity, length of interconnects etc. I do not have deep technical knowledge but have quite some experience, In order to match the impedance of pre and power amp there is a rule of thumb saying that the minimum input impedance of a power amplifier should be at least 10-15 times higher as the maximum output impedance of a preamp. Otherwise you can loose the linearity of frequency response, resulting for example in a lack of bass. Do not only look at the manufacturer’s specs of output impedance of preamp because it is usually quoted as measured impedance at certain frequency (usually 1kHz). Often the impedance is much higher at frequency extremes. Generally speaking SS preamps often have lower output impedance than tube preamps. That does not mean they sound better but just have wider compatibility with power amps.

I have looked at the measurement of Aesthetix Calypso preamp in Stereophile. Just to underline the importance of impedance I will quote a part of it:
”The balanced output impedance was 112 ohms at 1kHz and above, this increasing to 3900 ohms at 20Hz due to the finite physical size of the output coupling capacitors. The unbalanced output impedance was a high 2400 ohms at midrange and high frequencies, rising slightly to 3150 ohms at 20Hz. In unbalanced mode, the Calypso will need to be used with a power amplifier offering an input impedance of at least 30k ohms if the bass is not to sound lean.”

https://www.stereophile.com/content/aesthetix-saturn-calypso-line-preamplifier-measurements

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
The high input impedance of your SIT amp means don't sweat it!

As to gain; how much do you need? Perhaps ask First Watt to express this value to you in a simple way ie x volts input = x watt output.

Most systems have an excess of gain so you may need less than you think.

Reactions: Mikem53 and Ed.P

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing