High gain vs high volume

Robert bowes

Jul 15, 2022
I have a unison simply phono, phono pre with 12AX7 tubes and a unison symphony SE tube amp. I’m using a Nagoka 500 MM cart. I find with the stock phono tubes the gain is so high that after the 11 o’clock position on my amp it starts to distort. I tried 12AT7 in the phono and the gain has dropped and my distortion starts about the 1 o’clock position on amp. I still like the sound from the high gain tube, is it okay to use as long as I don’t shoot over the 11 position on amp. I am using the 47K ohm position on my phono. Please any advice.

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
I have a unison simply phono, phono pre with 12AX7 tubes and a unison symphony SE tube amp. I’m using a Nagoka 500 MM cart. I find with the stock phono tubes the gain is so high that after the 11 o’clock position on my amp it starts to distort. I tried 12AT7 in the phono and the gain has dropped and my distortion starts about the 1 o’clock position on amp. I still like the sound from the high gain tube, is it okay to use as long as I don’t shoot over the 11 position on amp. I am using the 47K ohm position on my phono. Please any advice.
You can use it with a high gain tube at levels that do not distort heavily. Before it starts to distort, it's all good. 47k is a good setting for the MP-500 so I think you are all set :)

Mendel

Feb 13, 2012
GTA
Hi Robert
i suggest you try 5751 in place of 12ax7, as they are generally considered a direct replacement while 12at7 is not.
5751 have a mu (gain) of 70 while 12ax7 has a mu of 100 ( 12at7 has a mu of 60 by the way).
I believe JJ makes a 5751 but I have not tried it. For NOS (or used tests good) I recommend any U.S. made black plate triple mica tubes from the 1950s such as the Sylvania, GE, Raytheon or RCA. Grey plate Sylvania triple mica tubes are good too, as well as the RCA black plate double mica “Command” series.
No problem using 12ax7 and keeping the volume below 11 o’clock, other than a loss in volume control.

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
Note the feedback depends upon the tube gain so changing to a lower-gain tube may impact other things like distortion and stability as well as noise. If it is too loud at 11 and fine at 10 I'd stick with the tubes you have.

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Note the feedback depends upon the tube gain so changing to a lower-gain tube may impact other things like distortion and stability as well as noise. If it is too loud at 11 and fine at 10 I'd stick with the tubes you have.
That's a fair point, but in my experience with tubes, it's really hard to mess up the stability. Usually, the output transformer limits the bandwidth so that even with other tubes, it stays stable under all conditions. On the other hand, it doesn't mean that it can never happen, so a little caution is advised. You can also ask the manufacturer directly.

adrianywu

Nov 15, 2021
This depends on whether the distortion is due to not enough headroom in the phono pre for the cartridge output, or whether the phono pre output is too high for the amp. In general, you should have as high a gain as possible in your phono pre, and attenuate it at the input of the amp. This way, you attenuate both the signal and the self noise of the phono pre. If you use a lower gain input tube at the phono pre, the noise floor of the phono pre will probably stay the same (tube noise, power supply noise etc. is unaffected). That means your signal to noise ratio becomes lower. Just solder a resistor L-pad at the input socket of the power amp.

Reactions: AMR / iFi audio

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing