Hola from Costa Rica...

roberto

Hola muchachos!... It has being a while that I had not visited the forum. Reason? Big problem with my hard disc, and I lost all my info. On the other hand, I forgot my forum password. But, I did my best, and now back again. I had changed all my system. Here is what I have now.
Happy listening to all!
Roberto.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Welcome back, Mr. Roberto!

Tom

roberto

Thanks Tom... kind regards and happy listening!

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Hola Roberto! I don't play music so can you explain why someone would have four guitars so beautifully lined up?

And say, if someone wants to visit your beautiful country to take pictures of birds and such, when is a good time?

roberto

Hola Amirn. The rainy season just started. Now until December, we will have mostly all days, rain, and rain, and rain. The best watching birds season is usually in October, mid to November. We have the birds coming from everywhere. We have over 850 different kind of birds. Of course we have a lot of native birds. Only you will find them here.
Regarding my guitars, I have to confess myself to you. I am a crazy old man. Due to sympathetic resonance, all the guitars sing along with the music. Their natural sound of the strings, resonate with all instruments. Also, I have them tuned in different strings musical notes. So if the music of any instrument plays a C, one string of one of them resonates with this C. I have 24 strings, and there are seven notes and 5 semi notes, total of 12 notes. The micro dynamics, and as an example, the decay of piano notes are lengthen, because they are singing along with the piano music. This effect is more for solo piano, guitar, violin, viola, cello, wind instruments like oboe, clarinet or similar, or small string trios or quartets. Of course they are always singing with the music, but with big orchestras, the effect is not very evident. Voices are more natural. The glare on some recordings are wiped out. And these CLXs are very transparent. So, I am in heaven now. My power amp is an old ARC VT-100MKII modified at the power supply, and some signal capacitors at both channels were changed for a better, same value capacitors. The output tubes are KT-120 instead the 6550Cs, and the bias is set for around 110mV, a little bit lower, because I want them to last more, and also I do not need a lot of power. My room is very small, so I do not play too loud my system. Also I am using the M-DAC from AudioLab, and a RefLink from Bel Canto. I am using mostly my Mac Mini computer and Itunes. My system also is a HT, so I can play DVDs with no problem. I use an Oppo 105, via HDMI. Also have a Bel Canto CD transport model CD-2. I am really enjoying my system. When ever you can, come, I promise, a good wine and good music to listen. I listen mostly jazz and classical, but I have all kind. You can bring yours too. Happy listening!

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Hola encore Roberto and welcome

I love your country. My family and I had one of the best vacations of our lives in Costa Rica

I'm curious if the humidity there plays havoc with your tubes and electronics

scouter

Member Sponsor
Oct 30, 2012
Wrightsville Beach, NC
Roberto,
Nice set up!
I've been to the penisula for surfing many times- as far south as Mal Pias, many times in Nosara, and up to Playa Grande. While in Mal Pias, we jumped off the 35 meter water fall- unfortunately my wife broke her back. Your country was incredible in helping us. She had neurosurgery in Santa Maria, and has made a 100% recovery. If you are ever in coastal NC, please let us know. Would love to pay back the hospitality. Enjoy paradise-what a country you have!

JonFo

Jun 11, 2010
Big Canoe, GA
www.jonathanfoulkes.com
Hola Roberto, good to see you back here.

Steve, as another who grew up in Costa Rica, I can tell you that yes, humidity does play havoc with the gear. Speakers develop rot on surrounds, electrostats sometimes have challenges with high humidity days and in general, one spends a lot of time cleaning the dust and stuff out of gear if your home does not feature sealed windows and central AC. Which few people have thanks to an avg. year-round temp of 72 degrees F.

I would gladly trade the winters here in north GA for more of the wonderful weather in Costa Rica. Matter of fact, need to go back home and visit my mom in her place there in C.R.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Wow, 72 degrees? Somehow I assumed it would be hot and humid all the time! Thanks for all the info guys.

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012
Wow, 72 degrees? Somehow I assumed it would be hot and humid all the time! Thanks for all the info guys.
The interior has a climate sort of like Napa Valley (except for the rain). Belize is the same.

roberto

Thanks to all for the warm welcome...

Hola Chicos. Well, all what I have to say is: Thank you so much for the warm welcome. I just found great old friends, and of course, new friends. When ever any of you have the chance to come over, it would be my pleasure to spend some time listening to the music and talking regarding our beloved hobby. My place is your place!. Happy listening!

roberto

Hola Beek. How are the Vistas? Costa Rica earth is shaking, but you get used to it. Two days ago, I had to adjust the Mpingo wood stands, because they walked a little bit, due to the wake. And the sound? Just made a lot of changes recently. I do like how it is getting. It is very dynamic, tons of detail, air between instruments is almost real, timbre is unmatched, very good depth. Come and have some fun! How are you doing? Did you have the chance to make the honey bees and Aloe Vera recipe? Have a good one, my dear friend and happy listening!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing