Hollywood

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
This is an interesting, good, but not great 7 part miniseries about an era in Hollywood when everyone wanted to be an actor. Hollywood had many clandestine actors, agents, moguls etc whose sexual preferences were closeted. It tells about the early life of Rock Hudson (although I believe liberties were taken with the story)
Most everything in the miniseries is loosely based on fact however many of the facts portrayed are plain incorrect

Hollywood is an American drama web television miniseries starring an ensemble of David Corenswet, Darren Criss, Laura Harrier, Joe Mantello, Dylan McDermott, Jake Picking, Jeremy Pope, Holland Taylor, Samara Weaving, Jim Parsons, and Patti LuPone. The series was created by Ryan Murphy and Ian Brennan. It was released on May 1, 2020, on Netflix.]

The miniseries is about a group of aspiring actors and filmmakers during the Hollywood Golden Age in the post-World War II era trying to make their dreams come true. The series received mixed reviews from critics who praised the performances of the cast and production value, but criticized its tone, writing, and the artistic license taken.

This was not one of my favorite series although interesting to watch due to the vignettes of all of the Hollywood closeted stars.

The series is easy to watch with each episode about 45 minutes. Difficult to say if there will be a season 2 but I am betting not

Plenty of great actors in this one even tough many have cameo appearances, all wanting to go to Dreamland at that famous gas station

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
The previews made the series look stylized to the point of abstraction. It looks like it could be fun to watch. I wasn't aware it was supposed to be loosely based on 'fact'.

The murky history of Hollywood is hard to describe with its auras of decadence and death. Hollywood's descent back into a lobotomized, political propaganda machine is pretty weird, too, with all of the banned themes and social justice shoe horning. Boffo cgi and visual grandeur serve few meaningful stories, but lots of crude psyops dictated by some star chamber of social control psychos.

My fave movies about Hollywood are Sunset Boulevard, Barton Fink and Mulholland Drive.

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
We watched the first two episodes about a week ago. Will probably pick it up when there is nothing else to watch. Interesting but nothing special.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
We watched the first two episodes about a week ago. Will probably pick it up when there is nothing else to watch. Interesting but nothing special.
totally agree. Good but to great

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing