home cinema and high-end

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
I agree completely with Kal. Of course it can be done. Judicious screen placement is the key. Specifically, the TV should not be in the plane of the speakers; it should be as far behind them as possible yet allow for a good TV viewing experience. Check out how I've done it (1st pic at end of post) in my room: http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?12490-Spectral-DMA-400s-arrive-in-New-Jersey

Exactly. ...And the piano at the rear is another great bonus. :cool:

* Did we lose our OP?

Ethan Winer

Banned
Jul 8, 2010
New Milford, CT
One thing is for sure: a big screen between your main speakers is a NO NO.

Not necessarily. I have a 65-inch RPTV between my speakers and it has no acoustic effect at all. However, it's slightly behind the speakers, so sound from the speakers doesn't reach the glass. I also have a lot of acoustic treatment in the correct places. The only time sound should reach a TV between the speakers is if the rear wall behind you is untreated. Then sound from the speakers hits the rear wall, reflects back to the font, then reflects again back to you. My advice is don't do it that way! :D

--Ethan

nirodha

Aug 11, 2010
Was your dresser as thin as a typical screen is these days? If so, what do you keep in it?

Hi Kal,
I had bought the dresser (with glass pannel doors) with the idea to put my stereo in it. After having it put in that location, my soundstage was way gone. To be fair, the dresser is 2,5 metres wide and my tv would not that large. At present, my soundstage is perfect. The wall behind the speakers is treated and the room is quite fine (more luck than wisdom though). The pictures show the room behind the speakers, behind the listening chair and the dresser which was moved to a side wall behind the listening chair)
Somebody said: why ask us then? Well, because I might learn something new. Isn't that always the reason? Given the responses, it is now clear to me that I could at least give it a shot.
I do not need a dedicated home cinema room. I have a dedicated listening room. That is enough. I was just wondering if it would still be a top notch listening room when I combine it with a TV. Ethan, thank you as well.
Cheers,
Wim

Attachments

• behind my listening chair.JPG
    behind my listening chair.JPG
    85.2 KB · Views: 97
  • behind the speakers.JPG
    behind the speakers.JPG
    100.4 KB · Views: 96
  • the dresser.JPG
    the dresser.JPG
    83.3 KB · Views: 95

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
If your speakers are dipoles, DON'T put your TV in line between the speakers.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
nice system wim, i woud also place the screen a bit behind the speakers plane , a high end system definetively adds to the visual expirience a lot

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Thx for providing the pictures Wim; it does help understand better.

Tough to mount it on your front wall with those cabinets (acoustic panels?).

Here's a suggestion (something that you can try).
Get one of those open flat panel stands (audio/video) where some audio components go below the display (two shelves),
and the display itself is mounted on that rear metal vertical bar attached to the stand. Do you know what I'm referring to?
Get one with nice solid real wood shelves, not glass.

And try to position it right against your audio rack there.

At worst, when strictly listening to high fidelity stereo music, just put a nice decorative blanket over your display.
Be imaginative, experiment, improvise ...

* Love them speakers.

nirodha

Aug 11, 2010
Thx for providing the pictures Wim; it does help understand better.

Tough to mount it on your front wall with those cabinets (acoustic panels?).

Here's a suggestion (something that you can try).
Get one of those open flat panel stands (audio/video) where some audio components go below the display (two shelves),
and the display itself is mounted on that rear metal vertical bar attached to the stand. Do you know what I'm referring to?
Get one with nice solid real wood shelves, not glass.

And try to position it right against your audio rack there.

At worst, when strictly listening to high fidelity stereo music, just put a nice decorative blanket over your display.
Be imaginative, experiment, improvise ...

* Love them speakers.

Thank you all! Yep, love my speakers too. My difraction panels do their job excellently as do my bass traps (sheep wool). Both home made.

Attachments

• P1020051.jpg
    P1020051.jpg
    234.1 KB · Views: 84

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
Question: who of you has combined his high-end set with a TV?

I just recently have ... and have learned much in the process.

Picture quality issues aside (in terms of Blu Ray performance, "pro" advice over the net kept taking me in the wrong direction) I've got to say that I found the entire experience a very frustrating affair, having spent many months trying to achieve the results I required when adopting my new 70 inch LED TV with my stereo. Many of the problems I encountered are truly misrepresented or not completely understood on most AV forums. That said, being an audiophile, perhaps my expectations are rather high ...

If I had to do it all over again, perhaps I'd do it differently, although considering the struggles I went thru to finally achieved my goals, my experiences along that journey represent indispensable knowledge.

In terms of HT stereo reproduction, I certainly did NOT want to have the TV and it's associated equipment impact the sound quality of my stereo system in any way, especially in terms of dimensional qualities. I'm one of "those" who considers any tangible item between the speakers a negative. Therefore I incorporated certain soundproofing techniques, such as heavy curtains which covered up myTV/HT equipment when required, plus acoustic foam (still in the process of getting that part right). I figured the incorporation of my stereo within a HT system was going to be my most difficult task, and although it certainly proved more difficult than I anticipated, other HT A/V aspects proved even more frustrating.

Worse yet, the information I read over the net didn't help.

The bottom line, to my ears at least, a properly incorporated HT Video / legacy audio system can indeed sound amazing, without negatively effecting audio/stereo performance, something that the vast majority of MC alternatives I've witnessed - fail to achieve.

tb1

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing