home cinema and high-end

nirodha

Aug 11, 2010
Hi there,
I have never been interested in serious home cinema. Have always been a 2 speaker kind of guy BUT...now I am thinking about getting a real (;)) TV and wondering if I can combine it with my high-end set. Oh the horror !!!!! a tv between my Kefs 207/2!!!
Question: who of you has combined his high-end set with a TV? And, can it be done, a TV between your main speakers and still get the high-end nirvana sound I am used to.
Thank y'all for yer input!
Wim

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
If the "real TV" fits do it.

What is the the downside?

zz.

Personally, I think this is also very doable and I have done this in the past.

However, I think the downside is that I've always been told to not have any gear between speakers as it does affect the sound. I've never had the space to be able to do this (for a 2Ch setup), so I wouldn't actually know from experience.

zztop7

Member Sponsor
Dec 12, 2012
Edmonds, WA
Personally, I think this is also very doable and I have done this in the past.

However, I think the downside is that I've always been told to not have any gear between speakers as it does affect the sound. I've never had the space to be able to do this (for a 2Ch setup), so I wouldn't actually know from experience.

I would rather have the components between or next to the speakers versus long speaker cables and/or long interconnects.
Of course that is my preference with my systems and my ears.

zz.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Wim, I just went through this thought process. I opted to go with a separate HT set up...the audio only set up is, in my case, NOT conducive to HT. A different room and a completely different set-up means the HT stands alone. I like it that way a lot more. YMMV.

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Go for it Wim, life's just too short for missing the full picture. :b

* And hopefully your KEF speakers are dignified enough to accompany the high definition picture between them.
{The gear goes under your display, and the display behind the plane of your fronts.}

Oh, and go big or go out.

Ethan Winer

Banned
Jul 8, 2010
New Milford, CT
who of you has combined his high-end set with a TV?

A good home theater setup can play 2-channel equally well. If you will be the only person ever watching the TV, then you could get away with only two channels as long as you sit in the exact center. Otherwise I suggest at least a center channel speaker, and ideally a full 5.1 setup with subwoofer. Modern receivers can play stereo or surround sound equally well, and know how to route stereo and surround to the appropriate speakers.

--Ethan

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I was also told and have read articles where the acoustics are totally different. A theatre is a pretty dead environment whereas a 2ch listening room has reflective surfaces.

Plus, I have 2 friends that tried to put a big flat screen between their speakers, only to have to put a blanket over it when listening to 2ch.

nirodha

Aug 11, 2010
Thank you all for your input!!! One thing is for sure: a big screen between your main speakers is a NO NO. Tried it with a reflective dresser and that was a disaster.
Wim

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I would not sweat it. I have had 5.1 / 5.0 systems integrated with very good 2 channel for years. Probably not ideal, but sounds fine to me. I even had Jim Smith of "get better sound" fame in my room for acoustic improvement advices and asked him if I should cover the screen and he said don't worry about it. If you're concerned about acoustics you can put a heavy curtain before your screen and open the curtain when you're watching TV.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Yes i do it all the time 2 channel and Tv, music is mostly tape lately but i am also a big movie fan / documentairies fan , since the zanden has only 1 input its only a cable switch and done.
A lot of fun ,...Tv between the speakers who cares:)
I once had a audiophle visiting because he was interested in the boulder , he liked the sound and speakers but once he saw my powercords ic s and cd/dvd player he said he couldnt judge the boulder anymore,.... well bad luck then.:D

Last edited:

mojave

Oct 29, 2010
Elkhorn, NE
I use a projector and a Seymour AV retractable acoustically transparent screen. I do not use a center channel, but I do have side/rear surrounds and dual subwoofers.

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
I was also told and have read articles where the acoustics are totally different. A theatre is a pretty dead environment whereas a 2ch listening room has reflective surfaces.
It is not theater, per se, it is that stereo/2channel requires some room reflections in order to provide appropriate soundstage and immersive effect. Multichannel, HT or music, does not need that nor is it particularly desirable.

Plus, I have 2 friends that tried to put a big flat screen between their speakers, only to have to put a blanket over it when listening to 2ch.
You mean it affects sound differently with HT? :) Actually, placement is an issue but the screen need not be a problem.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Question: a) who of you has combined his high-end set with a TV? And,
b) can it be done, a TV between your main speakers and still get the high-end nirvana sound I am used to?
Thank y'all for yer input!
Wim

a) I do. :b
b) Sure it can be done; that's exactly where my 60" plasma is (about two feet behind the front plane of my main tower loudspeakers).
* My imaging is slightly different, but still good nonetheless. The depth is more different though; but I learned to live with the compromise.
Soundstage remains.

Listen; if you have two rooms in your home (castle, or mansion, or regular house, or condo, or apt), have one for Music, and another one for Movies.
If not; try a TV (a good one, like a color 'tube' Triniton), between your KEF loudspeakers. ...Just make sure that the front TV panel is a foot or three behind your KEF's front baffle.
- You don't like; put the TV in your basement, or attic, or on eBay.

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
Thank you all for your input!!! One thing is for sure: a big screen between your main speakers is a NO NO. Tried it with a reflective dresser and that was a disaster.
Wim
Was your dresser as thin as a typical screen is these days? If so, what do you keep in it?

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
I Actually, placement is an issue but the screen need not be a problem.

I agree completely with Kal. Of course it can be done. Judicious screen placement is the key. Specifically, the TV should not be in the plane of the speakers; it should be as far behind them as possible yet allow for a good TV viewing experience. Check out how I've done it (1st pic at end of post) in my room: http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?12490-Spectral-DMA-400s-arrive-in-New-Jersey

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing