Homemade Horns

Robh3606

Aug 24, 2010
Destiny
Hello sound of Tao

Looking forward to seeing this develop. With crossovers I personally prefer steeper slope as a first order is not at all as easy to do as it seems. I am talking about traditional caps and coils not DSP where you can time align the physical driver offsets.

You need to see what works best in your set up I ended up with 18db networks because I got the smoothest transition between my drivers so see what works , don't get hung up on a specific slopes. People can recommend whatever they want but with physical offsets each build is unique.
Have fun!

Rob :)

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Hello sound of Tao

Looking forward to seeing this develop. With crossovers I personally prefer steeper slope as a first order is not at all as easy to do as it seems. I am talking about traditional caps and coils not DSP where you can time align the physical driver offsets.

You need to see what works best in your set up I ended up with 18db networks because I got the smoothest transition between my drivers so see what works , don't get hung up on a specific slopes. People can recommend whatever they want but with physical offsets each build is unique.
Have fun!

In my build I found 2nd order LR worked the best.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Hello sound of Tao

Have fun!

Thanks guys, the learning curve in all this is possibly even steeper than the crossover. Getting the crossover sorted for the radians is hopefully going to work in similar lines in approach with what I have already here for the 1.4 inch beymas that the new radians will replace. Likely I’ll go initially for similar crossover point and approach to the one that works with the current drivers as a start and go from there. Swapping horns from the bi-radial horn to the SEOS is adding another new variable but I’m lucky (given my little experience) to have the other driver horn combo at least here as a benchmark to reference against.

Robh3606

Aug 24, 2010
Destiny
So I have to ask how are things going?? Been a while! Have you made any changes and are you enjoying your DIY journey??

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Hi Rob,
Many thanks for checking in. I’m probably slack, or end of year exhausted or a bit of both lol. Exploring horns and being more involved in design along with it has been the most satisfying move that I’ve made since starting up in the hobby. It feels like I’m more in the process than ever but I’m also enjoying the music and listening at the same time.

Even in their current iteration I’m very much loving the wholeness and vitality and their musically engaging nature and coherence so the idea that I have time and opportunity (and the parts) ahead to build further on what I have is a very good feeling.

I had underestimated how busy the last few months would be with my work but have set aside time in the New Year to be putting in the new Radian drivers and am also moving the setup into another room so unfortunately not much more to report till then. I also have to admit it’s summer here and ocean swims and coffee at the beach are currently getting kinda in the way of progress lol. Hope you are well and enjoying the season.

best wishes
Graham

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hi Rob,
Many thanks for checking in. I’m probably slack, or end of year exhausted or a bit of both lol. Exploring horns and being more involved in design along with it has been the most satisfying move that I’ve made since starting up in the hobby. It feels like I’m more in the process than ever but I’m also enjoying the music and listening at the same time.

Even in their current iteration I’m very much loving the wholeness and vitality and their musically engaging nature and coherence so the idea that I have time and opportunity (and the parts) ahead to build further on what I have is a very good feeling.

I had underestimated how busy the last few months would be with my work but have set aside time in the New Year to be putting in the new Radian drivers and am also moving the setup into another room so unfortunately not much more to report till then. I also have to admit it’s summer here and ocean swims and coffee at the beach are currently getting kinda in the way of progress lol. Hope you are well and enjoying the season.

best wishes
Graham

I thought putting more posters on ignore would have freed up time a bit

Reactions: the sound of Tao

Sandston

Jan 27, 2021
Very curious to hear your progress. I have the PAP trio coaxials and was toying with the idea of a Joseph Crowe biradial or SEOS horn with a coaxial compression driver from B&C or BMS or possibly the Celestion AXI.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing