Honda goes small with first all-electric car

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I guess Honda "IS" seeing the light and released an all electric vehicle. When this was discussed here last year I was getting the impression that Honda won't be entering the EV arena any time soon

Good to see that finally Honda recognizes that it is the future, now

UTSUNOMIYA, Japan (Reuters) - As many automakers bet on sedans and SUVs in the switch to electric vehicles (EV), Japan’s Honda Motor Co Ltd (7267.T) has decided smaller is better for its first-ever all-battery car.

The Honda e, released in Europe earlier this month, is a compact model meant solely for city driving. That contrasts with Tesla Inc (TSLA.O), whose Model 3 sedan dominates the battery EV market, and others such as Audi AG (NSUG.DE) and Hyundai Motor Co (TSLA.O) that have focused on SUVs with long driving ranges.

High battery costs have kept EVs at the premium end of the car market, and many automakers are developing bigger, all-purpose models, some of which can drive as far as 570 kilometres on a single charge.

The Honda e, however, has a battery capacity roughly half that of the Model 3, driving just 280 kilometres per charge.

Screen Shot 2020-08-27 at 6.45.39 AM.png

Reactions: dan31 and Derainer

Mikem53

Oct 1, 2020
I guess they are giving up on their hydrogen fuel cell technology, which may explain their late start into electrics..

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
I drive a BMW i3, full electric vehicle. With solar on the house, I commute to work for pennies. The i3 is faster than most cars on the road to 60mph, and is a pleasure to drive. With Honda and other makers moving forward with all-electric cars, it can only be good as the market is pushed to improve the technology.

Mikem53

Oct 1, 2020
I drive a BMW i3, full electric vehicle. With solar on the house, I commute to work for pennies. The i3 is faster than most cars on the road to 60mph, and is a pleasure to drive. With Honda and other makers moving forward with all-electric cars, it can only be good as the market is pushed to improve the technology.
I drove one for a few weeks a couple years ago . It was a fun ride. the regenerative braking was really effective, hardly used the brakes.. Nice ride.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
FYI; Honda continues to have the fuel cell Honda Clarity going forward. it is dropping the all-electric Clarity as it has other hybrid and all electric product in the pipeline.

fuel cell technology is limited by delivery systems. so it's an open question on that.

in 2023 or 2024 Honda will have products using the jointly developed with GM all electric drive train. and every product line-up of Honda will have hybrid variants. so while Honda is firmly committed to electrification, it's keeping it's options open.

i think in 5 to 10 years battery disposal will rear it's ugly head relative to all electrics. and rare earth components of all electrics. push might come to shove. then we will be left seriously considering fuel cell tech. with unlimited sources for fuel and simpler tech to implement. serious development funding has not yet reached fuel cell, it has a possibly higher upside than electrics (flux capacitor?). but only time will tell how it plays out.

Last edited:

SuperDave

May 12, 2017
Texas
FYI; Honda continues to have the fuel cell Honda Clarity going forward. it is dropping the all-electric Clarity as it has other hybrid and all electric product in the pipeline.

fuel cell technology is limited by delivery systems. so it's an open question on that.

in 2023 or 2024 Honda will have products using the jointly developed with GM all electric drive train. and every product line up of Honda with have hybrid variants.

i think in 5 to 10 years battery disposal will rear it's ugly head relative to all electrics. and rare earth components of all electrics. push might come to shove. then we will be left seriously considering fuel cell tech. with unlimited sources for fuel and simpler tech to implement. serious development funding has not yet reached fuel cell, it has a possibly higher upside than electrics (flux capacitor?). but only time will tell how it plays out.
I agree, Mazda has continued to develop more fuel efficient vehicles using Skyactiv technology and recently built a plant with Toyota. It will be interesting to see how their shared tech develops for both brands.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing