Horror on Blu-Ray

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
We can use this thread to discuss some of our favorite horror movies on Blu-Ray.

Here's a start:

http://www.amazon.com/Orphanage-Blu...ef=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1289679552&sr=1-1

This is The Orphanage, a Spanish film that provides a truly spooky atmosphere and will leave shivers on the spines of parents everywhere. Good picture quality with an exceptional DTS 7.1 Master Audio soundtrack, this one is impressive.

http://www.amazon.com/Descent-Origi...ef=sr_1_2?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1289679720&sr=1-2

The Descent is a bit more gory and graphic than the previous film. It revolves around a group of women who enjoy taking "adventure vacations" and decide to explore some new caves on this outing. They quickly realize that this trip has a bit more excitement than they bargained for.

Great claustrophobic photography and a kick-ass PCM 6.1 soundtrack make this one a must-have if you have the guts for this genre.

Anyone else?

Lee

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I will never forget Exorcist l. One of the scariest movies I ever saw. The only other movie which had such an impact on me was Psycho. I will never forget that shower scene, yet when you see it today it is actually kind of hokey by today's standards

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
Your take on those 2 movies exactly mirrors mine. I was living in Hollywood when the first Exorcist movie came out. I remember all the buzz about Linda Blair's head doing that 360 or when she vomited the pea soup. Times have changed, as has the technology. I had my teenage son watch the Exorcist and the original Amityville Horror and he all but yawned.

The one that stands the test of time, IMO, is The Shining.

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
That movie had so many classic lines and scenes. Every person in the U.S. over 30 would know exactly to what you would be referring if you said "Redrum". Or how about "you've always been the caretaker". And Shelley Duvall was the perfect cast for his wife, a completely whimpy, helpless woman. The first time I watched that movie I was hoping Jack actually would get her with that ax. And Scatman Crothers ... I always like him as an actor.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
When I started collecting Blu-ray and comparing my collection to others, I was simply amazed at how popular this genre is. Who woulda thunk?!

John

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
Zombie comedy

Shaun of the Dead, an obvious play on the famous Dawn of the Dead, is a British comedy/horror flick that will leave a smile on your face. Although not Academy Award material, it has several laugh-out-loud moments that make it worth the watch. Watching our heroes try to smite a zombie with the ball while holding a loose tetherball setup is just one example. Audiophiles will enjoy the segment where two guys are digging through a crate of classic LPs, trying to decide which ones they could part with TO THROW AT ONCOMING ZOMBIES! "No! That's a first pressing!, etc.....

Good video quality coupled with excellent audio assists the presentation in capturing your attention.

For those willing to try an off-the-beaten-path title, this one fits the bill.

Lee

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
Insidious

Here's a PG-rated horror flick that delivers the goods. Variations on the Exorcist theme are evident, but a fresh approach keeps you interested. Good jump scares and storyline make this one watchable. Great audio provides an enveloping soundfield (a horror necessity, IMO).

Lee

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
Not that I'm particularly into horror, but I remember as a youngie that the Europeans did this genre so well by relying on atmosphere rather than gore: nothing happens for a long time but the music and film making is making you scream with the tension of the situation, the stress of waiting for that whatever to happen remains unresolved for so long you become a quivering mess. Anyone know any good titles of what I'm talking about?

Frank

rsbeck

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Oh, you're talking about movies. I thought you were talking about Edge Enhancement. :)

I've got Shaun of the Dead on my "to watch" stack.

One of my favorites in this genre that I discovered on blu-ray is Let The Right One In.

A slightly different, Scandinavian, take on the Vampire genre.

I know, I know, the Vampire thing is way overdone, but trust me, this one is different.

Another off-beat take on the Vampire thing is Night Watch. Just a lot of fun to watch in a home theater.

Plenty of visual and audio thrills and creative storytelling.

Check 'em out.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing