How do fm acoustics' speakers and subwoofers sound?

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Yes but heatsinks do almost nothing without convection. And we know the top of the enclosure is closed.

There aren’t holes / slits / vents in the top of the enclosure?

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Reactions: andromedaaudio

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
There is also slits on the bottom panel in front of the sinks presumably so the cooler air get “pulled” through as the hot air convects out the rear.

analogsa

Apr 15, 2017
Cascais
My memories are a few years old but on some tracks the FMA system sounded very impressive, albeit in an old fashioned, high nfb amp way. On other tracks, not so much. Not sure how wide is their musical window.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
There aren’t holes / slits / vents in the top of the enclosure?

That's actually interesting because now that I look it up, I'm getting different results that are no's and yes's... Frankly I think it depends on which year you bought it? None of the photos show a heatsink on the back so far... No matter how you slice it, it's not enough for the rated output to be usable at RMS, or probable for peaks. I'm sure it is sufficient for music entertainment. There's nothing new about ratings that are unrealistic for audio amps.

zombean

May 31, 2022
This reviewer mentioned exactly what i heard , no compression and fast " attack " risetime
but it was probably the most uncompressed dynamic/ fast sounding amp i ve ever heard , very fast attack /rise time, total speaker control .
I don't know if I understand correctly, these advantages you mentioned I remember seeing on the official website of avantgarde acoustics, they are exactly the advantages of avantgarde horn speakers, maybe for other horn speakers as well. As for whether the horn has the physical characteristics of the advantages or not, there is still quite a lot of controversy.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Every manufacturer claims he has an advantage over the other.
Best is to go listen for yourself
They are every year at the hifi deluxe show in munchen afaik.
In munchen you can hear AG too.

I might go again next year.
Great show there in munchen.

Reactions: Folsom

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Fwiw - the FM phono stages are very well regarded. I have seen people using in non all FM system. Not sure if any of you heard those. I know Kedar really liked them on several occasions outside of the big NY dealer who had the big Zellaton system.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Fwiw - the FM phono stages are very well regarded. I have seen people using in non all FM system. Not sure if any of you heard those. I know Kedar really liked them on several occasions outside of the big NY dealer who had the big Zellaton system.
They figured out an analog method for removing clicks and pops...not at all sure how that can be done but they figured it out...it works!

Reactions: andromedaaudio

jdza

May 3, 2010
Not sure either how they remove clicks &pops but way back when FM was still a pro-company they had an active crossover with very steep slopes in the xo but none of the drawbacks. Maybe they revisited that technology?

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
The FM acoustics demo in munchen was LP only while i was there , and it sounded very good .
Indeed not much pops / clicks , plus they have more correction ( adjustable ? )curves , like Zanden.

Ps They played a CD peter breuninger brought , a Chasing the dragon recording ( female vocale vid)

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing