Feb 26, 2014
London

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
I tried a quick pull forward an additional 18 inches or so. That puts me about 5 feet off the wall. The sound is much more massive. Gains a lot of depth. Did not project into the room so much as the gains in wider, fullness and depth.

I then pushed it back about 10 inches so I'm at 45". Looses the largeness. Much smaller and the depth also decreases.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
I tried a quick pull forward an additional 18 inches or so. That puts me about 5 feet off the wall. The sound is much more massive. Gains a lot of depth. Did not project into the room so much as the gains in wider, fullness and depth.

I then pushed it back about 10 inches so I'm at 45". Looses the largeness. Much smaller and the depth also decreases.

The situation at 5 feet off the wall is promising. What happens there when you move your listening seat closer?

(Perhaps then you need to modify speaker toe in.)

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
The situation at 5 feet off the wall is promising. What happens there when you move your listening seat closer?

(Perhaps then you need to modify speaker toe in.)

Later. My wife is having to work from home. I can't make too much noise. I'm onto outdoor lights on my decks, new railings and hanging a new back door. Still need to build a pergola around our fire pit. Lots to do. And that darn grass keeps growing.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
Kingrex - I got a much more immersive experience with the Stein Music Harmonizers version 2 signatures. I recently added Blue Suns and Blue Diamonds in key locations. Holger Stein helped me with the placement, which was critical.

The effect was to focus better all of the instruments, creating more separation and particularly; more slam factor. The depth and width of the image is better as well, but the music spills more into the room, with the effect of eliminating the walls from the acoustic.

I also added at the back of the room and elevated about 4 feet, an Acoustic Revive R-888. This is a Schumann resonator specially deisgned for audio systems. I am powering it from my own Dynamo LPS. It also helps fill the room with sound. When I forget to turn it on , I definitely miss it.

When I play a track that is a live performance, it's like I am there now in the audience. Watching movies now can be a spooky experience, with noises appearing out of nowhere at all heights and way off-axis. My wife is always asking me if someone is outside, so I have to mute it to show her it is just the movie or audio track.

Last edited:

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
Later. My wife is having to work from home. I can't make too much noise. I'm onto outdoor lights on my decks, new railings and hanging a new back door. Still need to build a pergola around our fire pit. Lots to do. And that darn grass keeps growing.

I moved to the mountains, so I don't have any grass. It's sweet, just all natural with frequent backyard visits from deer, coyotes, turkeys, owls, hawks, squirrels and sometimes even beavers and otters. Still have to refinish the decks and railings though. I am thinking about maybe converting to Trex.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
. I am thinking about maybe converting to Trex.

I'm down on plastics. Did you know thousands of tons of micro plastic are in the air dropping on the earth every day. inhaling into your lungs every day. I'm pretty sickened as a fisherman at the trash in the oceans. And by 2030 our output of plastic crap is suppose to double. I gave some Amazon VP my thoughts when 20+ of them were viewing our local Whole Foods. I said they are the future leaders in biodegradable plastic and reducing its overall use and mass. They laughed at me. Not really but its obvious profits over pollution.

FWIW, Trex discolors and breaks down into what looks like a micro bristle brush surface after 5 to 7 years. Other products last more like 20 years.

You did remind me. I need to wash the light green mold off some spots on my decks and apply another layer of Penofin. Ughhh

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
I'm down on plastics. Did you know thousands of tons of micro plastic are in the air dropping on the earth every day. inhaling into your lungs every day. I'm pretty sickened as a fisherman at the trash in the oceans. And by 2030 our output of plastic crap is suppose to double. I gave some Amazon VP my thoughts when 20+ of them were viewing our local Whole Foods. I said they are the future leaders in biodegradable plastic and reducing its overall use and mass. They laughed at me. Not really but its obvious profits over pollution.

FWIW, Trex discolors and breaks down into what looks like a micro bristle brush surface after 5 to 7 years. Other products last more like 20 years.

You did remind me. I need to wash the light green mold off some spots on my decks and apply another layer of Penofin. Ughhh

Trex has some premium products now. I thing they may be much better. I have some upper decks that are the old original type of Trex and they are 18 years old. 2X4's. Still like new.

Did you know that Trex uses recycled wood and plastics?

https://www.trex.com/why-trex/eco-friendly-decking/

For my Cedar decking, I tried many finishes including Inwood, SuperDeck and others. The only one that lasts and does not change color or mildew under the snow is this:

https://www.twpstain.com/twp-100-series

Some states do not allow it because of the VOC's though.

TWP stripper works very well too. Takes off the old stain. You mix it from dry powder.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Ok, this is crazy good. 52 inch to face of speaker. I'm gobsmacked. This is the best its ever been here. It's still not moving the performance as far into the room as I want. But the sustain and detail are unreal. Snap and speed are much higher than before. Sense of alive and real are levels higher. I have played 2 album Im very familiar with. It is one of those I never knew it had so many layers. So much info is clear and balanced. One of my favorite songs finished with a crash cymbal. I never noticed it before. This time it struck me as it hung in the room forever. Who would think speaker placement mattereed. Hahaassss. Thats a joke. But I am a believer it has way more impact than i gave it in the past.

Reactions: JackD201

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Ok, this is crazy good. 52 inch to face of speaker. I'm gobsmacked. This is the best its ever been here. It's still not moving the performance as far into the room as I want. But the sustain and detail are unreal. Snap and speed are much higher than before. Sense of alive and real are levels higher. I have played 2 album Im very familiar with. It is one of those I never knew it had so many layers. So much info is clear and balanced. One of my favorite songs finished with a crash cymbal. I never noticed it before. This time it struck me as it hung in the room forever. Who would think speaker placement mattereed. Hahaassss. Thats a joke. But I am a believer it has way more impact than i gave it in the past.

Wow that's great. Yes, speaker placement and speaker/room interaction are incredibly important, usually much more so than a fancy electronics upgrade (seriously).

I don't understand though "52 inch to face of speaker". What do you mean by that?

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Ok, I'm a bit slow. I suppose you mean the distance front wall to speaker drivers. A distance of 52 inches would be 4.3 feet.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
What happens when you move your listening seat at that speaker position? What is the distance currently ear to tweeter?

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Im 82 inches from the front of my tequila glass at my lips to my speaker fronts, and the speakers are 84 inch C to C. I'm pretty much a equilateral tangle.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Im 82 inches from the front of my tequila glass at my lips to my speaker fronts, and the speakers are 84 inch C to C. I'm pretty much a equilateral tangle.

That's close, 6.8 feet. I thought I sit close, and I'm at 8.5 feet distance. Have you tried to sit further away?

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
I will try. I have a long ways to go. I was so stunned last night, and my wife was out for an hour or so. I sat and enjoyed 3 of my favorite albums.

Reactions: Al M.

wil

Jul 22, 2015
I will try. I have a long ways to go. I was so stunned last night, and my wife was out for an hour or so. I sat and enjoyed 3 of my favorite albums.

My listening chair is an office chair on rollers and I often experiment with different distances. Sometimes I prefer the envelopment from 8', and sometimes I'll move back as far as 14' (if the music/recording are particularly forward and aggressive.). It depends on the music, how it is recorded and my mood. But for really good recordings 8-9' is usually the sweet spot.

My entire space goes back 40' and when I'm working on my feet back there, I have a completely different experience. Much more reverberant and "live" sounding-- as if the room itself is the performance venue. I think horns can really excel at both close and distant listening positions.

Reactions: Tim Link

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing