How do I keyword search a specific thread?

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
How can I do a key word search on a specific thread? Some forums offer something like "Search this thread" when you're in a thread, but I'm not seeing that option - which doesn't mean it isn't there. :) Some threads approach >1000 posts.

Thanks for your help.

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France
Go to a thread. Then in search box top right, select 'Everywhere' to be 'Search this thread'. Add your key word or member, or date, then hit return.

Please get back if you need further help.

Reactions: tima

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Go to a thread. Then in search box top right, select 'Everywhere' to be 'Search this thread'. Add your key word or member, or date, then hit return.

Please get back if you need further help.

Thank you for trying to help. If I understand your instructions, they do not work. In the 'simple' search (top right) the input field has the word 'member' in it and only searches for forum members. Any non-member name term in the input field returns "member not found." Try it. Here is your search term for this thread: ABC123XYZ. The result is: "The following members could not be found: ABC123XYZ."

That is why I specified 'keyword' as the type of search term. A keyword search seems available only under the Advanced option. But the option to 'search this thread' is not available under the advanced option.

If I'm right about this, it is, imo, a significant weakness to using WBF for research vs daily chatting. If the entire forum can be searched, the tools are there to limit a search to a specific thread which presumably has some sort of id or number associated to it in the forum data structure. It would be relatively simple change to the SQL.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hi Tim,

Don't understand. ABC123XYZ is a keyword. You don't tick the member name then. Additionally if I want to search for ABC123XYZ posted by Tima, I also click on member and pull your name up.

The search can be carried out everywhere or on the thread

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Hi Tim,

Don't understand. ABC123XYZ is a keyword. You don't tick the member name then. Additionally if I want to search for ABC123XYZ posted by Tima, I also click on member and pull your name up.

The search can be carried out everywhere or on the thread

I don't think so. At least if I understand you correctly. One cannot get search results limited to a single thread for a keyword.

Under advanced search (the only search that accepts a keyword) the entire forum is searched. There is no option to search this thread only. You will find term ABC123XYZ using advanced search because it exists in this thread, probably uniquely.

Try it like this. Go to a large thread with many posts, say the Colibri thread. Use the simple search to search for a term, say, 'Colibri'. The result will be: "The following members could not be found: Colibri." (Assuming no member is named Colibri.)

Use the advanced option while in that thread. You get no option to "search this thread." If you use the term Colibri under the advanced option, results will be for the entire forum, not that specific thread alone.

edit: Thanks for responding.
In advanced search, if you specifiy a member name I believe it searches for your keyword and member name across the entire forum.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I searched Colibri and got many threads. I opened this one and searched Colibri under this thread and got your post

I also searched Colibri by member Tima and got all your posts where you mentioned Colibri

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I don't think so. At least if I understand you correctly. One cannot get search results limited to a single thread for a keyword (...)

As far as I notice it works randomly - I have managed to use it successfully before, but I tried now and could not limit it to the thread I was reading. It also looks it depends on your previous activity in the forum. o_O

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France
Thank you for trying to help. If I understand your instructions, they do not work. In the 'simple' search (top right) the input field has the word 'member' in it and only searches for forum members. Any no
n-member name term in the input field returns "member not found." Try it. Here is your search term for this thread: ABC123XYZ. The result is: "The following members could not be found: ABC123XYZ."

That is why I specified 'keyword' as the type of search term. A keyword search seems available only under the Advanced option. But the option to 'search this thread' is not available under the advanced option.

If I'm right about this, it is, imo, a significant weakness to using WBF for research vs daily chatting. If the entire forum can be searched, the tools are there to limit a search to a specific thread which presumably has some sort of id or number associated to it in the forum data structure. It would be relatively simple change to the SQL.
You type your search term in the search box, leave the meter box blank. And do it in the thread you want to search. Works for me.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
I searched Colibri and got many threads. I opened this one and searched Colibri under this thread and got your post

I also searched Colibri by member Tima and got all your posts where you mentioned Colibri

You type your search term in the search box, leave the meter box blank. And do it in the thread you want to search. Works for me.

Not sure we're on the same page.

What I want to accomplish: Search a specific thread for a keyword. I don't want results outside that thread.

Forum offers two search options:
1. Simple search (top right search form): This allows searching "This thread" but only searches on Member name, not keyword.
2. Advanced search. This allows keyword search but does not allow limiting such as search to "This thread".

If you claim one can do a thread specific keyword search, tell me the exact steps you're following and which search (Simple or Advanced) you are using.

I really truly do appreciate your help but your answers are too vague to create an example test case that proves possible a thread specific keyword search that returns only those posts containing that keyword from that thread.

---------------------------

Here is my example:

I want to search the thread "KeithR's "Dream Speaker" Search" for the keyword Wilson. I want only the posts from that thread that contain the word Wilson.

Go to first page of the above thread.
Choose Advanced search
Keyword: Wilson
Order by: Date
Click Search

Returned results include those from many more threads than "KeithR's "Dream Speaker" Search"

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
What browser are you using?
I am using Firefox and just found why sometimes it does not work for me. I usually browse opening new tabs and immediately jumping to the new tab, keeping the old ones open in the background. In these conditions the search does not work properly. However if I close all tabs and windows of WBF, keeping just the one I am working in, the search works properly, teruning just the many posts having Wilson in the referred thread!

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
What browser are you using?
I am using Firefox and just found why sometimes it does not work for me. I usually browse opening new tabs and immediately jumping to the new tab, keeping the old ones open in the background. In these conditions the search does not work properly. However if I close all tabs and windows of WBF, keeping just the one I am working in, the search works properly.
I would think that would be the case regardless of browser used

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Does the thread youre searching have Wilson in it.?

If it’s returning no results perhaps that’s the correct answer

Yes, it contains the keyword Wilson. But the problem is the results are not limited to a specific thread, they cover all threads in the forum with that keyword.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Firefox 67.0.1

What is "it" in your second sentence?

I need a use case example.

Where is "admin"?

"It" is your target - returning just the posts with the specific word in a specif thread.

Did you try "it" closing all other background tabs and windows?

a1.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Steve Williams

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
"It" is your target - returning just the posts with the specific word in a specif thread.

View attachment 54343

View attachment 54343

With a single browser window open...

In the simple search I see: "The following members could not be found: Wilson."

In the advanced search, the results include multiple threads.

In the example of your graphic, are all results solely from the one thread?

Steve - is admin support available, so we can get a definitive answer based on what is happening in the code?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Not sure we're on the same page.

What I want to accomplish: Search a specific thread for a keyword. I don't want results outside that thread.

Forum offers two search options:
1. Simple search (top right search form): This allows searching "This thread" but only searches on Member name, not keyword.
2. Advanced search. This allows keyword search but does not allow limiting such as search to "This thread".

If you claim one can do a thread specific keyword search, tell me the exact steps you're following and which search (Simple or Advanced) you are using.

I really truly do appreciate your help but your answers are too vague to create an example test case that proves possible a thread specific keyword search that returns only those posts containing that keyword from that thread.

---------------------------

Here is my example:

I want to search the thread "KeithR's "Dream Speaker" Search" for the keyword Wilson. I want only the posts from that thread that contain the word Wilson.

Go to first page of the above thread.
Choose Advanced search
Keyword: Wilson
Order by: Date
Click Search

Returned results include those from many more threads than "KeithR's "Dream Speaker" Search"

Yes I get results on searching for Wilson on that thread. It is quite straightforward.

On top of the page hit the magnifying glass.

Hit that small wheel on the right so you get the drop down menu.

Put Wilson in the top text box, then select "this thread" instead of everywhere.

You should not have the member box clicked.

You need to do this after clicking on Keith's thread

0E02C96B-A9ED-414D-9F0F-C7FE2D3543B8.png

Reactions: Legolas

Steve Williams

Firefox 67.0.1

What is "it" in your second sentence?

I need a use case example.

Where is "admin"?

He's off the grid til Wednesday

There's nothing wrong with the code as best I know as I get the same results as Bonzo

Steve Williams

Tim

The way I am seeing this is that virtually every member in this thread is getting a successful search. Could you please try what Bonzo so skillfully showed you

we've flogged this one far too many miles

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing