How do you configure your UPS

brad225

VIP/Donor
Nov 22, 2012
I asked this basic question on another site and got no response. Sorry if you are seeing it a second time.

I just purchased a TrippLite 1500 Smart Online UPS to replace a APC that doesn't produce a pure sign wave.

In the past I chose to plug in equipment that is related to the digital frontend of the system that is powered on all of the time.
This would be my Synology NAS, Small Green Computer, UltraRendu and IStream controls for Playback Designs DAC and the DAC. They are the more sensitive pieces that I think would be
effected by an on, off, on, off fluctuation we sometimes have here in Florida with our storms. Under use the combination would only draw about 100W so I would have almost 2 hours of backup time.

I am thinking of moving a power conditioner into the mix and wondering whether before the UPS or plugged into the UPS would be a better approach.

Which position would you choose to place the conditioner?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hi for differential noise and maybe star grounding I imagine plugging into your APC would be the way to go. My QB8 is plugged into my Stromtank.

brad225

VIP/Donor
Nov 22, 2012
Thanks Jack.

Plugged into the UPS was my thought but I have gotten suggestions from local audiophiles of the opposite.

I would think that the process of handling signal through the UPS would somehow pollute the electricity though provide safe power.
Conditioning after the power storage process just seems cleaner.

I guess I will just need to try both and make a decision.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hi Brad

Do let me know of your results. I am very curious. Thanks :)

brad225

VIP/Donor
Nov 22, 2012
Installed the TripLite and reconfigured Hydra outlets by adding a DIY power strip/box. I used 2 Shunyata SR-Z1 receptacles, Interpower C20 inlet and a Shunyata 20 amp Python Helix PC i had in storage. This gave me the 8 outlets I needed. I also put 3 small shelves above the power box for power supplies and network switch so I could better control wiring mess.

04CSIYNSQzq82ao9hn5Yew.jpg

The TrippLite was to loud with 2 fans so it had to leave the room.
With the help of a drywall saw, 2 old work electrical boxes, 2 cover plates with large openings and a vacuum it moved into a guest bedroom directly behind the current equipment location.

My first observation is added width and depth of sound stage. More distinct imaging and smaller details I hadn't heard previously. As with any change time will tell if it is really better or just different.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing