How do you know if speaker can correctly pressurize your listening area\room?

exupgh12

Jul 30, 2019
How can you know that speakers can correctly pressurize his listening area\room – is there a role of thumb for room vs. speaker cabinet size\drivers number\drivers size\driver technology?

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
How can you know that speakers can correctly pressurize his listening area\room – is there a role of thumb for room vs. speaker cabinet size\drivers number\drivers size\driver technology?
There are some rules of thumb, like driver/ cabinet size, but it still depends on the acoustics of the room and on the tuning of the speaker. you can have a 6,5" driver that will have less bass output than a 5" one. It's all in the details.

Reactions: exupgh12

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
You can't unless you try. I am constantly surprised by how some small speakers can pressurise better than some behemoths.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
What do you consider pressure?

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
This is great post, having a large speaker it difficult to know .
Even if testing the room things look ok i still hear variations in low freq
Mids and up its more obvious to me
And lows make timbre cottect
So a sweep to me is not a live playback sound preasure level .

I recently have made some server changes , the results are large .
I know my place needs treatment as most do , but now if im playing at a nice level the room is effecting things much more .
I sit 8 to 9 feet back , now i cant more like 15 feet for timre to be good. Bass seems to be rolled off at 8 feet.

I had issues like this in the past .
I needed to move the towers way more into the room .

Chops

Apr 27, 2016
Central Florida
If you want to properly "pressurize" your room, that's what subwoofers are for. The loudspeakers should be positioned in the room for the best possible stereo imaging and sound stage width and depth. THEN you bring in the subs (2 at minimum) in the optimal locations in the room for the best bass response.

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
A big part of a speaker pressurizing a room is getting the position correct. The left speaker needs to be in the right spot and then the right speaker needs to be time aligned with the left. Even monster speakers will give less than stellar bass performance if not positioned properly.

I will provide an example. I currently have vivid spirits. These have a lot of bass and easily pressurize my 28X22X12 acoustically treated room. This should be expected. However, I have setup other speakers in this room that also provided plenty of chest thump. For example, I set up an old 3 way speaker with a single 8" woofer and it did a fantastic job.

How do you find these magic spots? That is a much more complicated discussion.

exupgh12

Jul 30, 2019

exupgh12

Jul 30, 2019
There are some rules of thumb, like driver/ cabinet size, but it still depends on the acoustics of the room and on the tuning of the speaker. you can have a 6,5" driver that will have less bass output than a 5" one. It's all in the details.
I know the rule of thumb, yet I was wondering if there is a way to know which speaker size will be able to cover certain rooms and bass pressurized to get to the deepest sound without overwhelming the room (like putting a large speaker in a small room).

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
I refer to the bass pressure that can hold a room.
I still do not understand that statement. In general, rooms are not sealed and, therefore, cannot hold/sustain any internal pressure. You must be talking about some other phenomenon.

exupgh12

Jul 30, 2019
If you want to properly "pressurize" your room, that's what subwoofers are for. The loudspeakers should be positioned in the room for the best possible stereo imaging and sound stage width and depth. THEN you bring in the subs (2 at minimum) in the optimal locations in the room for the best bass response.
Thanks for the detailed answer.

what if the speaker used is already capable of going low, for example, a speaker such as Magico S7, or M6, would the room benefit from adding a subwoofer?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
What do you consider pressure?

In acoustics the pressure mode is the range bellow the sound wave propagation mode, that is limited by the maximum room dimension. However many audiophiles consider "pressure" just feeling the bass wave in an emotional way. In audiophile jargon of the 80's it was associated to flapping trousers. :)

Chops

Apr 27, 2016
Central Florida
Thanks for the detailed answer.

what if the speaker used is already capable of going low, for example, a speaker such as Magico S7, or M6, would the room benefit from adding a subwoofer?

Short answer, yes. I already stated why in my first post that you quoted.

heihei

VIP/Donor
Jul 24, 2017
I think this is also dependent on the music you are playing. I find that my Wilson Benesch Resolutions can struggle with big orchestral tuttis, despite being otherwise incredible speakers. Given they are supported by a pair of Torus subs and the amps are Heisenbergs, I'm pretty certain this is a speaker limitation rather than anything else in the chain. Room is 10m x 5.5m for reference.

heihei

VIP/Donor
Jul 24, 2017
A big part of a speaker pressurizing a room is getting the position correct. The left speaker needs to be in the right spot and then the right speaker needs to be time aligned with the left. Even monster speakers will give less than stellar bass performance if not positioned properly.

I will provide an example. I currently have vivid spirits. These have a lot of bass and easily pressurize my 28X22X12 acoustically treated room. This should be expected. However, I have setup other speakers in this room that also provided plenty of chest thump. For example, I set up an old 3 way speaker with a single 8" woofer and it did a fantastic job.

How do you find these magic spots? That is a much more complicated discussion.
The G1 Spirits are incredible speakers - I was very tempted but the amps I had at the time weren't quite up to the job (Berning Quadrature Z's). I'd love to try them again with my Heisenbergs!

How are you running the WB Torus? I currently use miniDSP to create a custom filter and power them with 500W class-D mono blocs to good effect.

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
I know the rule of thumb, yet I was wondering if there is a way to know which speaker size will be able to cover certain rooms and bass pressurized to get to the deepest sound without overwhelming the room (like putting a large speaker in a small room).
The feeling of overwhelming a small room with a big speaker is usually a result of this room's acoustic mods that are building up the bass in some places. The smaller the room, the bigger the problem is. A smaller speaker is easier to move around to find the perfect spot. There is nothing inherently bad about having a big speaker in a small room (except for it being a huge piece of furniture).

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
I popped into a shop today. I listened to a variety of speakers. In one speaker line, the largest flagship model did not present "preasure" the same way some of the smaller ones did. The big ones filled the room with music and scale. It was very nice. The smaller ones gave more a punch of bass. Kind of a thud of power. I found it not real. At the same time, I was not noticing bass pressure or any distraction from bass with the large ones. It was just music.

exupgh12

Jul 30, 2019
The feeling of overwhelming a small room with a big speaker is usually a result of this room's acoustic mods that are building up the bass in some places. The smaller the room, the bigger the problem is. A smaller speaker is easier to move around to find the perfect spot. There is nothing inherently bad about having a big speaker in a small room (except for it being a huge piece of furniture).

today i shifted my system 90 degrees from where it used to stand, now i do not have a wall behind my head and there is more space for the speakers, the sound had dramatically changed for good.

on my space, Magico S3mk2's are good but, S5mk2's would be better considering the space size.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2022-08-14 at 2.23.06 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-08-14 at 2.23.06 PM.jpeg
    169.5 KB · Views: 12

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Down south I have a room I use for my office and audio
the room is 9 feet high
15/15 feet
a window and a door
the speakers are maggys 3.6r
I plan ona bigger room soon
when I set them up I had no bass too much highs
I added resistors to the tweeters once I got the rest ok
the bass was still too low
one bud said get a sub lol
I laughed thinking the speakers are too big for the room
I then opened the door snd window too
adjusting them both to balance them out
it worked great
a audio bud who really knows told me the door and the window trial
I’m far from getting them great but man they are really nice so far
I think Rex is thinking correctly in that there is an objective to move to.
vinyl has a low freq room pressure effect while digital don’t
tape don’t have this either
I’m sure some of this is table arm and cart setup too.

Chops

Apr 27, 2016
Central Florida
vinyl has a low freq room pressure effect while digital don’t
tape don’t have this either
I’m sure some of this is table arm and cart setup too.
I would believe that is a matter of improper matching of cart/tonearm and/or setup, or very warped vinyl.

Digital has no issues getting down to 1 Hz, and even a lot of tape is good down to at least 15 Hz depending on the machine of course.

Reactions: Alrainbow

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing