How do you pick a cheese for your red wine?

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I have to admit I am in the dark in this department.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
For me the easy rule is, the strongest/aged the wine is, chesse follows.

rsbeck

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I personally don't care for red wine with cheese. I don't find it a good pairing. I much prefer white wine with cheese. It all depends on your taste buds, but in my opinion, you want contrasts. What I mean is this; if you've got a dry cheese, you don't want a dry wine with it -- too much dry. If you've got a sweet, buttery cheese, you don't want a sweet buttery wine, too much butter and sweet!

If your cheese is sweet and buttery, like Brie for example, you want a wine with some acid and mineral to cut through, refresh your palate and let the two emphasize the best qualities in each by providing contrast. IMO, a fabulous pairing is a Muscadet. That's Muscadet, not Muscat. Muscat is a sweet dessert wine, Muscadet (moose-ka-day) is a light crisp, minerally white wine from the Loire Valley in France. (This is also a fabulous wine to drink with Oysters!)

You can get great Muscadet for $12 to $20.

Sancerre (Sauvignon Blanc) is another fabulous choice with sweet buttery cheese. I like Sauvignon Blanc from Sancerre because it tends to be crisp and that's what you want.

Champagne will also make a wonderful pairing.

I have never really found a wine that pairs well with a cheese like Sharp Cheddar, so I just don't serve it with wine, I grate it and put it over chili and eat that with a nice Chianti.

rsbeck

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Another good choice for some kinds of cheeses is Port.

You get a dry salty cheese and let it play against the sweet, but tannic Port and you have yourself a little slice of heaven.

muralman1

Jul 7, 2010
Sacramento Ca
We go to the wine tastings at CG d' Arie where there is always a dozen or so fine Blue and Cheddar sourced from American farm cheese makers. With the wine tasting the pourer suggests a cheese, or meatball, or cakes or..... It is all in fun, but you do get to taste the best in cheeses and wine.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
For all of you that will attend CES in Vegas, there is a fine French restaurant at the Wynn that has an imported cheese table to die for.... The sommelier is more than capable to suggest the best wine to go with it.... Cheers!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing