How good is the MSB S201 Amp?

Nuprin

Jan 9, 2020
NC
Does anyone have experience with this amplifier? How does it compare to others such as Ayre, Pass, PSAudio or some of the better Class D amps out there? My understanding it's 200w into 8 ohms but the first 100w is Class A if that is correct?

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong

Nuprin

Jan 9, 2020
NC
Yes, I took a chance and made an offer for a used S201 that seems to be a really good deal at about 25% of the retail price. Unfortunately I do not have the spending power of unlike some of the member here and the used price is already twice that of my budget so I would not be able to afford the new model.

The Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE Stage II was a huge jump in improvement over my Cinema 11a. I demoed a Mark Levinson 508.5 integrated and Cary's SLP-98 and SLP-05 and was not impressed with the minor improvement I heard. The STP was so much cleaner and more transparent. I am hopping for another big leap in performance from my Cinema 5, and not small incremental improvements which I am guessing would the result if I got Wyred's SX-1000r or a Merril Terranis, both class D but more wattage. I just wanted to know how MSB's amps compare to the other popular big names.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
If you are after low cleaniness, dynamics and bass quality & quantity, Class D amps are your best-buy choices.

Class A amps such as S201 give you more musicality and naturalness.

Or if budget is rather tight, you may consider the new generations of Class D, such as those with Purifi modules or with Gallium Nitride transistors.
Brands such as Nord, Apollon, Rouge Audio for the former and Merrill Element Series for the latter.

Reactions: Nuprin

Nuprin

Jan 9, 2020
NC
If you are after low cleaniness, dynamics and bass quality & quantity, Class D amps are your best-buy choices.

Class A amps such as S201 give you more musicality and naturalness.

You mean I can't have both for a dime? :cool:

For hifi and critical listening, I am in the camp of having the sound as true to the source as possible, good or bad recording. It is more important to me to feel like I'm in the jazz club or in the studio than to have anything smoothed over, romanticized or exaggerated. At least I have the 2,400 watt class D inside my Seaton Sub to handle anything down below 80hz.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
You mean I can't have both for a dime? :cool:

For hifi and critical listening, I am in the camp of having the sound as true to the source as possible, good or bad recording. It is more important to me to feel like I'm in the jazz club or in the studio than to have anything smoothed over, romanticized or exaggerated. At least I have the 2,400 watt class D inside my Seaton Sub to handle anything down below 80hz.
IC.
Class D amps with the Purifi module shall suit you, I guess.
The offerings of Nord/Apollon/Rouge Audio differ in the buffer boards which are their own designs.
Pls have a look/listen.
:)

Nuprin

Jan 9, 2020
NC
Looks like I will give the MSB S201 a go in my system. My offer was accepted.

Worst case if I don't like it I can always sell it and give some of the class D a try. Thanks for the Class D amp suggestion though! I'll let you know what I think of the MSB once I get it in my system. Only wish I had some class D amps to compare side by side.

By the way, you have a very interesting amplifier in your system among the other very nice hifi equipment.

Reactions: CKKeung

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Looks like I will give the MSB S201 a go in my system. My offer was accepted.

Worst case if I don't like it I can always sell it and give some of the class D a try. Thanks for the Class D amp suggestion though! I'll let you know what I think of the MSB once I get it in my system. Only wish I had some class D amps to compare side by side.

By the way, you have a very interesting amplifier in your system among the other very nice hifi equipment.
Congrats!
Pls update me after you have got it.

Yes, the MC2 S1400 monoblocks are very underrated.
And I have modded them by adding quiet fans, Furutech IEC socket and WBT speaker-posts.
It's actually a tiger in sheep's skin. :cool:

Reactions: Nuprin

musicfirst1

VIP/Donor
Mar 8, 2015
Canada
www.musicfirstdistribution.ca
I'm sure you'll love the MSB's I've gone the whole gamut of class D's before having the MSB M203s for several years. If your unhappy, may I kindly suggest the problem will be elsewhere in your system. MSB makes and has always made top tier gear. (Hey that rhymed!...;-))

Cheers

Reactions: Nuprin and CKKeung

Nuprin

Jan 9, 2020
NC
Yes, I will report back once I receive the unit. Unfortunately my local dealer doesn't carry much in Class D amps for comparison.

The speakers should be up to the task. The EA Micro Ones are one of the best speakers I have heard under 15k from B&W, Ariel, Martin Logan, Linn, Revel, Vandersteen and others. Only the Wilsons I have liked as much and those start at 15k to 20k but the tweeter is better from EA.

The Wyred STP-SE Stage II bettered a couple of 5k-10k preamps I've directly compared to.

Weakest link left is probably the stream/dac in the Azure 851. I directly compared it to Cary's DM550 and it was very hard to tell a difference in my system before the STP-SE was added but I have never been able to hear a huge impact from Dacs & transports compared to speakers and preamps.

analyzer

VIP/Donor
May 20, 2016
Torino - Italy
Perfect. A few months ago I had the chance to buy a pair of MSB202 at a very good price.
Hesitation... and the pair was sold unfortunatly. Here in Italy and Europe amps by MSB are extremely rare to see on the used market...
And I was curious to try them on my EA speakers (MM3's).
All the best
Marco

Nuprin

Jan 9, 2020
NC
Received the S201 yesterday and finally got a chance to listen tonight.

Ascetically, it’s a work of art compared to the rest of my electronics. Reminds of something in an Omni magazine back in the day for anyone that remembers. The isolation suspension is super slick, even though it's a feature I may never be able to hear the difference in. Fantastic craftsmanship. Even the spades from my speaker cables tighten down perfectly compared with difficulty at times with the Cinema 5.

Once the amp warmed up for a bit, and boy is it warm, I really started hearing what it could do. What the STP-SE II did for creating a black background and reducing the noise floor to almost nothing, to that the S201 adds a greater level of detail of all the instruments playing and gives them their own space to perform so they are no longer muddled together.

Piano decay especially, is excellent. Bass is better yet again with more definition and punch while going a little lower. But the greatest improvement I'm hearing so far is that everything sounds more natural, more life-like instruments and music is easier to engage without feeling the a hint of fatigue. Soundstage doesn't seem artificially enhanced or pulled in one direction or the other. The music is just more enjoyable.

While my room may not be custom built and up to the level of some of the members here, it is a real world modest space, used as a family room by everyone and probably a representation of 90% of most people's situation, it really does sound excellent now. Having the STP-SE II and now the S201, it really is a testament to how good the EA Micro Ones are when paired with excellent electronics. Those speakers are a bargain for what they can do! I have heard many set ups at dealer rooms and IMO this system sounds better than the majority of those in the $25k to $75k. The Pre and the Amp really compliment each other well.

Sadly for my wallet, my transport (streamer) & DAC is the weakest link now and that will be a hard itch to avoid scratching. My only other complaint (from the wallet again) is that the S201 draws 320 watts on Standby alone!

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Received the S201 yesterday and finally got a chance to listen tonight.

Ascetically, it’s a work of art compared to the rest of my electronics. Reminds of something in an Omni magazine back in the day for anyone that remembers. The isolation suspension is super slick, even though it's a feature I may never be able to hear the difference in. Fantastic craftsmanship. Even the spades from my speaker cables tighten down perfectly compared with difficulty at times with the Cinema 5.

Once the amp warmed up for a bit, and boy is it warm, I really started hearing what it could do. What the STP-SE II did for creating a black background and reducing the noise floor to almost nothing, to that the S201 adds a greater level of detail of all the instruments playing and gives them their own space to perform so they are no longer muddled together.

Piano decay especially, is excellent. Bass is better yet again with more definition and punch while going a little lower. But the greatest improvement I'm hearing so far is that everything sounds more natural, more life-like instruments and music is easier to engage without feeling the a hint of fatigue. Soundstage doesn't seem artificially enhanced or pulled in one direction or the other. The music is just more enjoyable.

While my room may not be custom built and up to the level of some of the members here, it is a real world modest space, used as a family room by everyone and probably a representation of 90% of most people's situation, it really does sound excellent now. Having the STP-SE II and now the S201, it really is a testament to how good the EA Micro Ones are when paired with excellent electronics. Those speakers are a bargain for what they can do! I have heard many set ups at dealer rooms and IMO this system sounds better than the majority of those in the $25k to $75k. The Pre and the Amp really compliment each other well.

Sadly for my wallet, my transport (streamer) & DAC is the weakest link now and that will be a hard itch to avoid scratching. My only other complaint (from the wallet again) is that the S201 draws 320 watts on Standby alone!
Congratulations!

Class A amps are perfect partners for the kinds of tweeters & ceramic drivers on EA MicroOne.

blackswan

Mar 17, 2021
And I have modded them by adding quiet fans, Furutech IEC socket and WBT speaker-posts.
This is my first post on WBF. I'm intrigued by your Bespoke and S1400 combo @CKKeung . Re your mods, can you post a picture of the backplate of your amp? I am curious if you have to make a cutout on the backplate to put in an IEC socket (since the stock power cord is hardwired) and how you modified the speaker binding posts since the original speaker connectors are 4-pole Speakon. Thanks in advance.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
This is my first post on WBF. I'm intrigued by your Bespoke and S1400 combo @CKKeung . Re your mods, can you post a picture of the backplate of your amp? I am curious if you have to make a cutout on the backplate to put in an IEC socket (since the stock power cord is hardwired) and how you modified the speaker binding posts since the original speaker connectors are 4-pole Speakon. Thanks in advance.
Hello blackswan,
I sent my two S1400 to a hifi mod shop in Hong Kong to do the modifications.
Yes, the back-plate had to have a cut-out to accommodate the added IEC socket.

However, MC2 in recent years makes a special HS1400 version for certain regions (including Mainland China and Hong Kong).
It contains all the mods I have made before (IEC socket; usual speaker-posts; internal quiet fans), so you don't have to do the tedious mods yourself.
Please email MC2 for enquiry.

Here are several photos of this MC2 HS1400 version :

mc2_hs1400_1596004000_f1b37021_progressive.jpg

mc2_hs1400_1600854833_2b8ab0e1_progressive.jpg

wKhQoVUsyiSEacnPAAAAAA5OsjY988 (2).jpg

wKhQplUsyjiEVlzmAAAAANjIkAE775 (1).jpg

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing