How many sold out stocks to cash?

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Hi all,

Curious as to what others have done WRT their investment portfolios. I was 70 / 30 approx. 6 months ago and went to 50 / 50 at that time. I went 80 /20 on March 9 and total cash (except for a small amount in a Vanguard bond fund) yesterday March 17. I guess I should consider myself somewhat fortunate as I "only" took a 12% hit from total value three weeks ago. Or maybe stupid knowing historically that the market always recovers in time. I can always buy in again when the market suffers another large daily loss but the question is when? Any insight greatly appreciated. Thinking the "dollar cost averaging" approach. Given that I'm retired and live on a fixed pension income, I can, at least, sleep better for now knowing there are future opportunities to reverse the losses over time.

These are unprecedented, scary times and I wish all good luck on their financial well being and good health through this chaos.

Last edited:

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Thank you Ked. Given your profession, I'll take that as a positive affirmation of my actions.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
I cashed out of the majority of stocks two days before this crash began. I can live with the little loses I incurred.

Reactions: bonzo75

Vienna

VIP/Donor
Everything out since two months ago

Reactions: bonzo75

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Good timing Vienna. Please tell me what bird whispered in your ear? Better yet, send me its e-mail address.

Vienna

VIP/Donor
the continuously increasing covid patients’ numbers and the attached below ....... A22381E8-E20E-48D8-808F-03A94E4E8350.jpeg

Barry

Member Sponsor
Jan 7, 2012
Somewhere near Philadelphia, USA
I see banks running out of cash ...

Not likely. In the last few days the US Fed has: opened the discount window and encouraged US banks to borrow for their reserve requirements; backstopped foreign central banks' USD swap lines for major currencies; backstopped US commercial paper markets (coprorate short-term loans) for approved credits; and added to liquidity to the repo market (broker dealers, think Lehman Brothers) - all with $1.5 trillion USD, massive liquidity. They are also further considering shortening duration of treasury securities purchases with more monthly purchases (adds banking reserves) and buying longer term corporate debt as part of their "QE" quantitative easing program (allows both for corporate bailouts and possibly lessens needs for companies to draw on their credit lines with banks. So add another trillion or two. For reference US GDP is 20T.

The last recession was a financial crisis directly involving financial intermediaries. This one will most directly impact main street and some business sectors specifically energy, some retail, airlines, and a few others. It's not going to be pretty, but should be of somewhat limited duration given the nature of the virus. That doesn't mean the markets will recover right away....

To the original post, I have about 3 years of cash liquidity, but am close to my target asset allocation (I don't spend very much). Trying to market time doesn't work for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: dan31

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
What I am going to say is something slightly different: this is what it feels like to be a cancer patient, or patient of any other serious disease... hopelessness, panic and fear is always with you, and it eats you alive every day. We are lucky to be discussing what we may have done with our investments.

Reactions: audioquattr

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Bob, more than anything else, I am thankful. Whether we accept it now or not, this situation will pass the moment there are clear signs of a vaccine, or a set of medical treatments that work well. Sanofi announced great things today, look it up.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Well, I don't want this thread to turn into another shit show like your coronavirus thread. At the end of the day, the load on the moderators is just too much for them to handle, having to also worry about their own health and well being.

sleepysurf

Sep 8, 2010

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Run out of cash? What kind of an idiot thinks it's a good idea to be using cash instead of a card when you're trying to reduce transmission?

Vienna, good going mate. You're going to make out like a bandit.

Although I think BTC is the best buy since the halving is coming up in May. Where ever it's bottom is at, not sure. One could easily expect it to double from whatever the bottom is.

Reactions: djsina2

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Thx very much Ack. A shit show is not very nice.

Anyway, it's not important, how many stocks we sell to cash in is a good way to exit this nightmare.
We all have various opinions, without respect we are not much.
And it's not a question of handling, it's a question of life and debt.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Have you ever tried to clean a dollar bill?

Lots of times. I don’t use a wallet, and keep my money folded in my back pants pocket. More than once I have washed my money. Didn’t hurt it at all, but is was nice and clean when done. Almost new.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing