How the inside of a 20 yr. old Magnepan looks like

tdh888

Nov 4, 2010
Philippines
Just to add, when the black Solen cap was diagnosed as the culprit, the tech man has on hand a pair of generic caps of the same value and I decided to put them on just to make the speakers work normally again while I order the original parts. I must say the sound of the generic cap sounds atrocious when compared to the Solen (when it arrived and was installed). There were many suggestions from user group members to use all kinds of cap brands, but again, I have been a bit reluctant to experiment with caps' 'sound'.

Hi Jadis ,

Who was the local tech that fix your Magnepan ? I also have a factory rebuilt MG3A done in 2008 . The rebuild cost $1,400 dollars excluding shipping . I hope my speakers won’t have this problem as well in the near future .I got them from the USA . My speakers are also in my man cave and it also does not have windows . And when I listen the AC is on . But still the sock discoloured from the original white to dirty white due to humidity .

tdh888

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hi Jadis ,

Who was the local tech that fix your Magnepan ? I also have a factory rebuilt MG3A done in 2008 . The rebuild cost $1,400 dollars excluding shipping . I hope my speakers won’t have this problem as well in the near future .I got them from the USA . My speakers are also in my man cave and it also does not have windows . And when I listen the AC is on . But still the sock discoloured from the original white to dirty white due to humidity .

tdh888

Doc, a friend here contacted him as I have no connection with him prior. I've lost touch with him of late as he may have changed number. As long as you don't any flapping in the bass or no distortion in the mids, your speakers are fine.

Last edited:

tdh888

Nov 4, 2010
Philippines
Thanks for the reply Phillip . So far no problem / flapping w/ my MG3A’s .

Reactions: jadis

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines

pootler

Apr 25, 2020
Looks fairly typical to me, a little worse due to the humid environment (I assume). My MG-IIIa's were still going after 29 years until I retired them a couple of years ago (still have them). As a former tech I have re-glued many older Maggies (and replaced many ribbon tweeters). The latest versions use all QR panels IIRC so should hopefully be less susceptible to delamination.

Conventional speakers and ESLs aren't pretty after all that time, either.

HI - new to the forums.

I have two pairs of maggie 1.4's, that I am going to try to combine as an experiment.

Both sound good, but just in case it is different when they are taken apart - what glue do you receommend?

I have read the original 3M stuff is useless, and a contact adhesive might be a better bet?

Thanks again

pootler

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
Hi pootler,

I do not know what glue to use.
I am just curious on how you intend to combine two pairs of Maggie 1.4s?

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
HI - new to the forums.

I have two pairs of maggie 1.4's, that I am going to try to combine as an experiment.

Both sound good, but just in case it is different when they are taken apart - what glue do you receommend?

I have read the original 3M stuff is useless, and a contact adhesive might be a better bet?

Thanks again

pootler

Hi pootler,

I have been chatting with members of the Magnepan Users group on FB for years and they have been very helpful. Here is what a member used as glue.

Alberto Carlos Silva Aidan Garnier I’ve done it over a weekend (could not stay two days without listen to them). Remove fabrics, clean Mylar with cotton and acetone. Glue delaminated áreas with cement glue, you can apply 3M77 afterwards (I didn’t). Apply metal pieces to force pressure against magnets. Done, 4 years till now without further buzz or rattling noises. But I’m only talking about delamination at the panel extremes, I don’t know what is your case.

Capture.JPG

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
And like Mullard 88, I am curious to know how the process is.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
HI - new to the forums.

Thanks again

pootler

If you have more questions, I suggest you join that user group, lots of members have done repairs, tweaks etc. They have helped me too with my questions.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing