How to clean up ceramic drivers?

Hamburger

Nov 6, 2018
Hi,
I have a question regarding ceramic drivers of the early days; say about 15-20 years ago.
1) How to clean the diaphragms (grime?) with the grill on? Do I have to un-bolt and dismantle the front of the driver unit?
2) Are they cleanable and become "white" again, or is it discoloration of the ceramics?
3) How long can these early generation ceramic drivers continue to operate properly?
Thank you.

1633744368195.png

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Are you saying the grills don’t twist or pop off?

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
Hi,
I have a question regarding ceramic drivers of the early days; say about 15-20 years ago.
1) How to clean the diaphragms (grime?) with the grill on? Do I have to un-bolt and dismantle the front of the driver unit?
2) Are they cleanable and become "white" again, or is it discoloration of the ceramics?
3) How long can these early generation ceramic drivers continue to operate properly?
Thank you.

View attachment 82634
I don’t think you can get that of It’s deteriorating.

Reactions: Hamburger

MPS

Jun 20, 2016
Finland
I would just leave them as they are, discoloration is not likely to affect the sound. If it's the visual aspect that bothers then just cover the grills with speaker clothing.

Reactions: andromedaaudio

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
These are early Thiel accuton units i suppose ( are these Lumen white speakers , you had white flame / white light at the time :) ??)
They are made of aluminium oxide iirc , whether a solvent / water can be used to clean them without problems i m not sure .

If my recollection is right they are non removable grills
You could unscrew one unit and try to pull it out gently to check if it has bolts at the back to remove the grill , if its stuck i wouldnt bother as may be the wires are to short , due to soldering after mounting , it depends on the building method of the speaker
Cleaning without removing the grill is rather difficult , you could spray it on but how to wipe it off ???

If there is not a substantial weight increase due to the coloration ( fines ) then i doubt if it matters much soundwise .
Visual is another thing , i doubt also this moisture? coloration could be removed entirely .
By the way, is this a moisture that dropped on the membrane or is this a coloration of the aluminium oxide over time due to bad storage / age ( check the internet on aluminium oxide aging problems /coloration )

How long they last ?? . .... Until they break :)
i think the first thing to go would be the rubber? surround , but since these are high quality units , they last long.
You could inspect the rubber? surrounds for cracks , and the membranes for cracks as well .
If you play music through the speaker , you can put your ear against each unit to check if they are still operational.

I usually check if the unit is (still) operational by applying a ever so slight finger touch against the membrane ( not with tweeters ! ) while playing music at a low / medium level , but that aint gonna work with your grilles

Last edited:
  • Haha

Hamburger

Nov 6, 2018
These are early Thiel accuton units i suppose ( are these Lumen white speakers , you had white flame / white light at the time :) ??)
They are made of aluminium oxide iirc , whether a solvent / water can be used to clean them without problems i m not sure .

If my recollection is right they are non removable grills
You could unscrew one unit and try to pull it out gently to check if it has bolts at the back to remove the grill , if its stuck i wouldnt bother as may be the wires are to short , due to soldering after mounting , it depends on the building method of the speaker
Cleaning without removing the grill is rather difficult , you could spray it on but how to wipe it off ???

If there is not a substantial weight increase due to the coloration ( fines ) then i doubt if it matters much soundwise .
Visual is another thing , i doubt also this moisture? coloration could be removed entirely .
By the way, is this a moisture that dropped on the membrane or is this a coloration of the aluminium oxide over time due to bad storage / age ( check the internet on aluminium oxide aging problems /coloration )

How long they last ?? . .... Until they break :)
i think the first thing to go would be the rubber? surround , but since these are high quality units , they last long.
You could inspect the rubber? surrounds for cracks , and the membranes for cracks as well .
If you play music through the speaker , you can put your ear against each unit to check if they are still operational.

I usually check if the unit is still operational by applying a ever so slight finger touch against the membrane ( not with tweeters ! ) while playing music at a low / medium level , but that aint gonna work with your grilles

Hi Andromedaaudio,
You are the expert in identifying the speakers. ;)
Yes, they are White Flame, almost a 20 year old model.
4 mounting screws on the drivers, vs the current Accuton series of 6 mounting screws.
Should anything go wrong dismantling the drivers while cleaning it, there will not be an exact model replacement anymore.

Anyway, these are not my speakers, but I was just curious on how to maintain these drivers. Thanks for your maintenance tips! :)

analyzer

VIP/Donor
May 20, 2016
Torino - Italy
Please consider that ceramic drivers are extremely fragile. A tiny bit of trying to clean in surface and they will easily crack.
You may eventually ask to Accuton's offices and hear what they suggest...

Reactions: MPS and Hamburger

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
The only unit that ever broke during play , due to too much power in my 20 years or so of speakerbuilding , ....
Was a 20 mm Thiel accuton diamond 5600 euro retail / pair :confused::p
1633791031558.jpeg

The other was a scanspeak unit that got destroyed due to DC , while testing a DIY preamplifier design

• Wow

Oracle1974

Jun 28, 2020
Please consider that ceramic drivers are extremely fragile. A tiny bit of trying to clean in surface and they will easily crack.
You may eventually ask to Accuton's offices and hear what they suggest...
I have the Gauder Akustik Vescova Mk 2 speakers which also have the Accuton ceramic drivers.
I have a duster with multiple thin soft fibres which can be used to clean without risk of damage to the drivers.

Attachments

• Setup.jpg
    Setup.jpg
    653.5 KB · Views: 9

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing