How to tell if tweeter ribbon is damaged in a 3.7i

Thom2

May 3, 2020
I accidently removed a tube from my preamp while the system was powered up and sent a surge through my Magnepan 3.7i speakers, a fairly loud pop. I'm worried that I might have damaged the tweeter ribbons, I know they have a reputation for being fragile. Is it possible that they can be damaged and still operate or would they shut down completely? Can part of a ribbon be damaged but not all of it? Can they distort? I'm not familair with ribbon technology so I need some advice. My paranoia thinks that there is a slight difference in the high end characteristics but I could just be imagining it. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Get somebody with a voltmeter to measure the impedance over the tweeter leads compared to the other side and check compared to the Maggie standard value. If the impedance is unaltered, the ribbon is probably OK.

audio.bill

May 27, 2013
Chicago suburbs
Get somebody with a voltmeter to measure the impedance over the tweeter leads compared to the other side and check compared to the Maggie standard value. If the impedance is unaltered, the ribbon is probably OK.
Impedance cannot be measured by a standard voltmeter, they can measure simple DC resistance. Maybe you meant to just measure and compare the ribbon's resistance.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Yes, thank you, you are correct. Impedance and resistance are not interchangeable, but they commonly are used that way.

Thom2

May 3, 2020
Thanks for the suggestion. I think they're fine, I gave them a good listen today and they sound as good as ever. I was just very freaked out by putting that through them and assumed the worst.

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Ah! The Maggies ribbon tweeter...just came across this.

Not necessary to check with any meters, although it does help. There's a simpler method for trouble shooting ribbon tweeter damage;

1. If and when the ribbon tweeter goes off, all you need to do is hold a flash light at the back, along the ribbon from top to bottom, and you will see the damaged part. This is where the ribbon has broken in two pieces, with both pieces hanging freely, hence not joined together. Very similar to the filament in a light globe when it goes out, that filament is clearly visible as its broken off its point of contact.

2. The other method is by just listening, you won't hear any highs at all. No frequency extension at the top end whatsoever. Also, the tweeter fuse at the back panel will blow, so this needs to be replaced first with the correct fuse type.

That's about it!

The other issue and pain in the butt, with a capital B, is when the midrange panel goes off. Sometimes whiles playing you can't really tell since the highs and bass plays fine... until you check the midrange fuse as well. This is usually a fuse replacement and all should be OK... The bass panels are pretty sturdy and nothing should deter this section unless the panels were abused.

The other issue I was referring to is once the tweeter goes out, replacing it is mighty fun... not really! You have to be completely sober, purchase the ribbon tweeter kit from Magnepan, have a large cleared area for this operation and very very steady hands... oops there goes a ribbon!

The ribbon is so light and fragile, it's a marvellous thing when you just hold one in your hand. Fingers and palms get sweaty, no good for changing ribbons. The tweeter kit provides a few extras just for trial in case you break them... and very quickly they do break! After a few attempts you get the hang of it and after nearly 3hrs all is well including a stiff neck after all the glues and pasting in a Zig-Zag manner down the whole length of the ribbon.
And the owner's manual says 30mins tops with a Phillips screwdriver... yeah right!

I've replaced 16 tweeters in my audio journey with Maggies, towards the end I gave up and just shipped across the damaged tweeter element to mags in a tube. The wait was long but job done!
No more stiff necks and can enjoy a few beers or a nice single malt whiskey whiles the tweeter is being attended to...cheers!

BTW the mg3.7i is actually one of my favourite maggies, even more so than the 30.7's!
They're just far more coherent and way easier to set up plus don't require a football field to sound right.

Have a good one, big woof!
RJ

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
Ah! The Maggies ribbon tweeter...just came across this.

Not necessary to check with any meters, although it does help. There's a simpler method for trouble shooting ribbon tweeter damage;

1. If and when the ribbon tweeter goes off, all you need to do is hold a flash light at the back, along the ribbon from top to bottom, and you will see the damaged part. This is where the ribbon has broken in two pieces, with both pieces hanging freely, hence not joined together. Very similar to the filament in a light globe when it goes out, that filament is clearly visible as its broken off its point of contact.

2. The other method is by just listening, you won't hear any highs at all. No frequency extension at the top end whatsoever. Also, the tweeter fuse at the back panel will blow, so this needs to be replaced first with the correct fuse type.

That's about it!

The other issue and pain in the butt, with a capital B, is when the midrange panel goes off. Sometimes whiles playing you can't really tell since the highs and bass plays fine... until you check the midrange fuse as well. This is usually a fuse replacement and all should be OK... The bass panels are pretty sturdy and nothing should deter this section unless the panels were abused.

The other issue I was referring to is once the tweeter goes out, replacing it is mighty fun... not really! You have to be completely sober, purchase the ribbon tweeter kit from Magnepan, have a large cleared area for this operation and very very steady hands... oops there goes a ribbon!

The ribbon is so light and fragile, it's a marvellous thing when you just hold one in your hand. Fingers and palms get sweaty, no good for changing ribbons. The tweeter kit provides a few extras just for trial in case you break them... and very quickly they do break! After a few attempts you get the hang of it and after nearly 3hrs all is well including a stiff neck after all the glues and pasting in a Zig-Zag manner down the whole length of the ribbon.
And the owner's manual says 30mins tops with a Phillips screwdriver... yeah right!

I've replaced 16 tweeters in my audio journey with Maggies, towards the end I gave up and just shipped across the damaged tweeter element to mags in a tube. The wait was long but job done!
No more stiff necks and can enjoy a few beers or a nice single malt whiskey whiles the tweeter is being attended to...cheers!

BTW the mg3.7i is actually one of my favourite maggies, even more so than the 30.7's!
They're just far more coherent and way easier to set up plus don't require a football field to sound right.

Have a good one, big woof!
RJ
The only reason someone would like the 3.7i over the 30.7s is if there death or cart hear properly And don’t have them set up right

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Attn: G-man,

The 3.7i is far more easier to setup and match well with a variety of amplifiers in virtually any given room. They are fairly affordable and offer tremendous vfm.

The 30.7's are a huge affair, they are costly, it takes a large dedicated room, plus proper setup and amplifier matching. There's nothing really extra special about them, they still have that same maggie sound, which a majority of your mates have told me in PM's...

I told them that's because the amplifiers are limited, Mac won't bring out the best in these large ribbons plus you have tripled stacked horns right behind them. No matter what type of front row, second row or third row cables you wish to buy, the 30.7's must be setup as a dedicated system, not in a room filled with other speakers...

There's no denying it. However, at the end of the day, if you feel it is the best sound in the world and your gear is truly the best money can buy and you're really enjoying it, that's all that matters.

Have a good one now.
Stay safe, RJ

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia

The 3.7i is far more easier to setup and match well with a variety of amplifiers in virtually any given room. They are fairly affordable and offer tremendous vfm.

The 30.7's are a huge affair, they are costly, it takes a large dedicated room, plus proper setup and amplifier matching. There's nothing really extra special about them, they still have that same maggie sound, which a majority of your mates have told me in PM's...

I told them that's because the amplifiers are limited, Mac won't bring out the best in these large ribbons plus you have tripled stacked horns right behind them. No matter what type of front row, second row or third row cables you wish to buy, the 30.7's must be setup as a dedicated system, not in a room filled with other speakers...

There's no denying it. However, at the end of the day, if you feel it is the best sound in the world and your gear is truly the best money can buy and you're really enjoying it, that's all that matters.

Have a good one now.
St
My friends wouldn’t tell you nothin because they know your not a serious audiophile.speakers in a kitchen sounds good ha.

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Yes, definitely! Infact I'm running the kettle now for that added depth in midrange. And the kettle is not obsolete! It's brand new! I've also got Audience power cord and it boils pretty good.

Cheers bud, I'm enjoying my coffee now.
Best, RJ

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
Yes, definitely! Infact I'm running the kettle now for that added depth in midrange. And the kettle is not obsolete! It's brand new! I've also got Audience power cord and it boils pretty good.

Cheers bud, I'm enjoying my coffee now.
Best, RJ
No worries enjoy I am not jealous of no one.

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
All I can say is evans heard my 30.7s and your clx. I asked him for a honest answer which speakers sounded better and he said the 30.7s are much better than your clx when he heard them at your place and he’s selling his as well.he said the 30.7s are much more effortless and richer sounding than the clx.he also said the mcintosh has a special tone, just ask him if he’s honest to you he will admit this is what he said.

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
The 3.7i only have the same ribbon tweeter everything else on the 30,7 is better including the xover.of corse the ribbon tweeter on the 30.7s will sound better because the 30.7s have a much better xover.

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia

Have a good one now.
Stay safe, RJ
Yes the 30.7s definitely still have the magnapan sound as the cheaper models just as my klipschorns have the same klipsch sound as all klipsch speakers.but that doesn’t mean the cheaper klipsch or Maggie’s sound as good as there flagship models.no way they do.your kidding yourself

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
All I can say is evans heard my 30.7s and your clx. I asked him for a honest answer which speakers sounded better and he said the 30.7s are much better than your clx when he heard them at your place and he’s selling his as well.he said the 30.7s are much more effortless and richer sounding than the clx.he also said the mcintosh has a special tone, just ask him if he’s honest to you he will admit this is what he said.
Points to ponder:

1. Why ask Evan...? Means you're insecure.
Also, note it's Evan not Evans... he's just one person, I didn't see a twin or anything...

2. Please note, I've not mentioned any names whatsoever. I only said mates who've all visited your place at one point in time... this could mean anyone. Remember, I did not ask them about the comparison as you do simply because I'm not insecure. Instead, they told me outright not me.
Visually impressive and under-powered was the last statement made. Anyway, who cares!

3. I won't mention names because it's unethical to do so. I only mentioned mates who visited and told me in private. And yet you drag their names around not even knowing who I'm referring to, no clue mate.

4. One of those chaps, whom you mentioned that you gave a TT to and still uses one ... called him shifty, and all sorts, and now he's suddenly got excellent hearing and is your "good mate." Hypocrisy big time here matey. At one point you didn't even want to invite him over... now he's coming round for a second time... mmm and the world keeps turning.

5. After inviting you over to my place, welcoming you into my house and giving you the best hospitality, yet you have the audacity to put down everything I have, including my room layout.

Thanks mate, much appreciated. There are a fair number of fellow forum members here who've pm me and asked why on earth I still keep in touch with a fellow of such arrogance and ignorance... I guess it's better to be nice than mean. Obviously I've moved on Gary.

Just thought I'd let you know how I feel about your true character. Just being honest.

Enjoy what you have without comparing all the time, you will be much happier!

BTW, the kettle is working really fine with the new power cord. It boils in no time, not as fast as stats though...
Cheers, RJ

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
BTW Gary,

The OP Thom2, posted his query in May 2020, it's 2021 now!

If you carefully read his post, it's about being able to assess a broken ribbon tweeter, due to the mishap of pulling out a tube in his preamp, which happened a year ago... by accident.

His post was nothing to do with comparing 3.7i or 30.7's, I sincerely don't think he cares. He was only worried whether he had damaged his 3.7i's ribbon tweeter.

Then as a special mention, I referred to the 3.7i as a personal preference over to much larger Maggie's in terms of two things:
1. Ease of setup in given average rooms.
2. Great vfm.
That's about it! Obviously the 30.7's are top of the line, and so are the MG20.7's for that matter.

So, specifically based on those two aspects, these were mentioned NOT to put down your 30.7's. So take it easy mate... chill out.

And a year later, you jump on the thread into your usual hissy fit, claiming that anyone who prefers 3.7i's over to 30.7's must be deaf and whatever else you've mentioned... with shocking spelling errors. "Death & cart"... anyway since I've known you for a while, I figured those words might be deaf & can't hear properly... I think it means the same thing.

So to summarise your highly perfect analysis:
Those using 3.7i's on this forum and other members out there who actually prefer the well setup Maggie's they've got, are actually deaf & can't hear... ok whatever mate.

Sounds like you're off to a great start for 2021.
Cheers bud, all the best. Be well
RJ

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Yep, that's right I know that G-man.
However, there are ways to conduct yourself in a more professional and responsible manner. Just appreciate what we all have and put together to sound right for us, that's all I'm saying.

We can always learn from one and other, compare notes and try to get the best from our gear, our rooms and listening habits. It's always a learning curve, there's no point where we will ever know it all!

Enjoy to the fullest! Be well
RJ

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing