HRS Damping Plates v Artesania Audio Dampers v Entreq VibbEaters

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Hiya all, any thoughts on these? Are these interchangeable alternatives to achieve the same purpose, or have different applications?

Kitting out my six components that can accomodate these would come out to similar cost, so just wondering if there are first hand experiences out there, esp comparisons.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I have Entreq Vibbs, HRS DPX Damping Plates and Artesania damping plates.

For equipment, the Artesania medium damping plate (most commonly seen) is comparable to the biggest 2x thickness HRS Damping plate across all of my equipment in 'tests'.

The Artesania extra thick damping plate is amazing...in fact their damping plates are my favorite.

However...they dont always work on top of speakers like big Wilsons which the tops are slanted.. So the Entreq Vibb works best because it moulds around the shape a bit.

Note that for a lot of equipment putting a dead weight on top of the damping plate really works well, and i have done so in many cases...but you really have to put a LOT of weight on to hear the improvement in a few cases.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Hi Lloyd, when you say the extra thick Artesania, which do you mean? The three standard dampers 1.5kg, 2.5kg, 3.5kg...and the DP20 extra heavy duty 12.5kg at >2x the price of the 3.5kg one.

Is the VibbEater a practical alternative for damping components like cdp, preamp as well, or just spkrs?

Can you compare and contrast the effects of these three alternatives?

Interestingly the consensus amongst a small audio group who've tried Artesania v HRS was in favour of the latter.

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Overall, I did not find the big Entreq Vibbeaters as effective as the damping plates on heavy amps.

Overall, i find the Artesania 2.5kg damping plate to produce a very similar level of effect as the large 12" DPX HRS damping plate. However, it takes up less surface area.

The type of improvement between the two is very very similar: denser signal, less 'waiver' in massed strings or upper bass, greater tonal density, the electronics in our system seems more 'resolute' in its delivery.

I really like both HRS and Artesania a lot and do not hesitate in recommending them. Due to the varied shapes of surface area on equipment, i do use both. I use the Vibbs on top of the Wilsons and the TA Opus network boxes which are both sloped.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Lloyd, first hand reports are always so useful. There is a hefty Artesania DP20 that looks like 3-4 lighter Artesanias stacked together, to create a 12.5kg damper. Thoughts on that?

Reactions: Forte

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
It will almost certainly be amazing. Just so you know, i came up with a similar idea 5 years ago...i use the 2.5kg and 3.5kg damping plate...and place either 10kg or 20kg of solid polished brass weight on top. That is just pure dead weight not any kind of damping material. Theirs should be much better.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
It ought to be at c.£500 each LOL.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
A friendly audio group that has adopted me (they can spot a needy type) will bring over a whole slew of HRS plates when they visit me soon. An excellent opportunity to HRS individual pieces, and the whole system.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
It ought to be at c.£500 each LOL.
I bought my Artesania's from a dealer who had few leftover from a bulk deal, and then picked up several old polished brass 10kg and 20kg scientific weights for a couple hundred bucks...and now have 90kg across the system...all on top of damping plates. A lot cheaper, but again i suspect the DP20 you are talking about should be a lot better.

johndoe21ro

Oct 3, 2012
Europe
A friendly audio group that has adopted me (they can spot a needy type) will bring over a whole slew of HRS plates when they visit me soon. An excellent opportunity to HRS individual pieces, and the whole system.
Well... what happened?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Hi John, thanks for reminding me.

We tried a couple of other tweaks first. Crystals on pwr cords and SR black box. Nothing happening in my system, much to the confusion of the guys who love this stuff and couldn't figure out the non performance.

So I went into the HRS plates install w no expectation bias. However I was bowled over. Every component, from cdp, to phono, pre and pre psu, benefitted. And hugely.

The biggest audible uptick was in lower mids/bass articulation. Basslines and esp kick drum really came alive w way more resolution and impact. And this was a progressively cumulative effect the more plates and components were involved.

I was really impressed w all this to the point I'm gonna invest in the HRS to damp six pieces of gear, plus possibly my big balanced power transformer.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Congrats. Have been a big fan (and owner) of HRS stuff for years. Enjoy.

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I'm not sure how you feel these runber blocks are an alternative to HRS. There's no mass loading possibility. I could try them. How do they help yr sound? How much do they weigh?

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
They employ the same method as HRS does - mass and damping. They are not solely rubber, they are steel covered in rubber. A 4" x 6" x 1" block weighs about 3/4 of a lb. In my experience they bring spacial cues slightly more into focus and provide slightly tighter bass. YMMV.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I've found a source that does 4" square rubber/metal blocks for 1/10 the cost of HRS. Gonna buy a handful to try on cdp and pre and see if what I heard w HRS is replicated at all.

IanG-UK

Apr 11, 2011

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Interesting product, and could be suitable. But may not be heavy enough and could need additional loading.

Last edited:

IanG-UK

Apr 11, 2011
Interesting product, and could be suitable. But may not be heavy enough and could need additional loading.

They are only a small outfit. I suspect they will do custom stuff for you provided you pay in advance.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing