Apr 20, 2010
How much?

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I am considering this as an alternative to using stillpoint ultra 5's under my turntable. My table is non suspended and weighs around 125lbs. Experiences ? TIA

http://www.avisolation.com/m3isolation_base.html

I say go for it... as you know i have the HRS M3 under my Transport, and also use Stillpoints elsewhere. Brinkmann used to sell their Ref turntable with a custom HRS M3...they now use vibraplane i heard but am not sure? That said, I do know someone who just bought a Brinkmann Anniversary TT, and it came with an HRS M3.

I have not compared my M3 to Stillpoints Ultra 5s as a base under my Transport...and frankly after so much back and forth may not bother for some time. I am extremely happy with Stillpoints for speakers and sub...and HRS M3, nimbus/coupers under my components. (On top of components, i do have damping plates from Artesania, HRS and Stillpoints (their Ultra V and LP Isolator)...and they all work well.)

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I am considering this as an alternative to using stillpoint ultra 5's under my turntable. My table is non suspended and weighs around 125lbs. Experiences ? TIA

http://www.avisolation.com/m3isolation_base.html

There are three passive units that I would consider Christian: HRS, Critical Mass and SRA :) I've actually been thinking of trying to compare the SRA with the HRS under my table some day but that'll have to wait until I get my new table :) One advantage of the HRS is that it's compatible and easily tuned to work with a range of gear while the SRA is configured to only work with one specific component.

Doesn't Clearaudio make it's own base? But I guess that's a lot more expensive than the HRS.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
There are three passive units that I would consider Christian: HRS, Critical Mass and SRA :) I've actually been thinking of trying to compare the SRA with the HRS under my table some day but that'll have to wait until I get my new table :) One advantage of the HRS is that it's compatible and easily tuned to work with a range of gear while the SRA is configured to only work with one specific component.

Doesn't Clearaudio make it's own base? But I guess that's a lot more expensive than the HRS.

If you do compare...definitely please post!

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
why not a vibraplane

I have thought about it. The compressor in the same room may be problematic. I may be able to punch a hole in the wall and locate the pump on the other side. My only other concern....it's a product designed for scientific use, not for audio. That said, I do like Peter A's setup for his sme

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY

They don't make a base. They do make an entire stand for a turntable....the Everest stand. I guess I should look into a vibraplane.

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
They don't make a base. They do make an entire stand for a turntable....the Everest stand. I guess I should look into a vibraplane.

I'll email you the info Peter sent me on the Vibraplane and the compressor. Peter says the compressor can be placed next to your rack. It's that quiet.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I'll email you the info Peter sent me on the Vibraplane and the compressor. Peter says the compressor can be placed next to your rack. It's that quiet.

Thanks Frank. I want to move in this direction. Please include the retailer that has all the stuff....table, weight plate and compressor.

paskinn

Jan 28, 2013
I have thought about it. The compressor in the same room may be problematic. I may be able to punch a hole in the wall and locate the pump on the other side. My only other concern....it's a product designed for scientific use, not for audio. That said, I do like Peter A's setup for his sme

Isn't the fact that the vibraplane is designed for scientific work a 'good thing' ? Scientists have to do real things that matter, and they use equipment that works.Of the items mentioned in this thread, the vibraplane is probably head and shoulders above the others. But I agree that the pump is a bit offputtng; mind you, it will be 'off' most of the time won't it. The pump only tops up the air when needed. The biggest disadvantage, at least for me, is the high cost. Best bought from a scientific equipment supplier rather than an audio supplier with big mark-ups.But scientific gear will never be cheap. I am tempted.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Isn't the fact that the vibraplane is designed for scientific work a 'good thing' ? Scientists have to do real things that matter, and they use equipment that works.Of the items mentioned in this thread, the vibraplane is probably head and shoulders above the others. But I agree that the pump is a bit offputtng; mind you, it will be 'off' most of the time won't it. The pump only tops up the air when needed. The biggest disadvantage, at least for me, is the high cost. Best bought from a scientific equipment supplier rather than an audio supplier with big mark-ups.But scientific gear will never be cheap. I am tempted.

you took the words out of my mouth. They design vibraplane for electron microscopy which is about as detailed as anything audio

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
you took the words out of my mouth. They design vibraplane for electron microscopy which is about as detailed as anything audio

yes too both of you. I was playing devil's advocate to elicit that very response. My next issue is to figure out if my Adona Zero GXT rack's top shelf can support 400lbs. of total mass for turntable, plate and vibraplane. My rack specs say 300lb shelf capacity, but the top shelf is supported directly on the pillars rather than floated on brackets like the lower shelves that have a 300lb weight spec. I hope it takes more.
http://www.adonacorporation.com/zerogxt.html

According to Peter A, they work great under power amp too..cha-ching !!!!! ;)

Last edited:

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I'm with Myles, HRS, CMS and SRS. There is one instance where I think I would go with the vibraplane (or a sprung suspension deck) and that would be if I were in a situation where I would get a lot of vertical forces from the floor. I'm engineered wood on concrete. Shaq could be doing the jump rope and I wouldn't get any bounce. CMS uses a combination of acrylic/bitumen-like sandwiches, mass, elbows (bearings) and spikes. There's actually more than 6 different materials with opposing Qs. Works extremely well for me. What I like about the three mentioned is that they do not alter the tonal balance like some others do. Forgive me if I will not mention these, that would be in poor taste.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I'm with Myles, HRS, CMS and SRS. There is one instance where I think I would go with the vibraplane (or a sprung suspension deck) and that would be if I were in a situation where I would get a lot of vertical forces from the floor. I'm engineered wood on concrete. Shaq could be doing the jump rope and I wouldn't get any bounce. CMS uses a combination of acrylic/bitumen-like sandwiches, mass, elbows (bearings) and spikes. There's actually more than 6 different materials with opposing Qs. Works extremely well for me. What I like about the three mentioned is that they do not alter the tonal balance like some others do. Forgive me if I will not mention these, that would be in poor taste.

I'm on solid concrete and I can jump all day without affecting the turntable. Aren't the vibraplanes about eliminating that and also (more importantly) airborne vibration and in our case vibration caused by the music playing ? Passive isolation cannot deal with that can it ?
You definitely need one under your AF1 Jack....;)

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
The airborne vibrations is more about quickly converting the energy to heat. I'm not too familiar with the top plate of the vibraplane but if I'm mistaken it is a solid aluminum plate. Aluminum has great damping but it can still ring by iteslf. Usually you want something softer or something hard with a damping layer or a material with specific damping properties like acrylics with particular grains. So far the best I've ever heard use combinations of materials for constrained layer damping same way your table uses aluminum, acrylic and panzerwood which itself is a combination of woods with different densities. Same goes for the best footers like the Stillpoints (aluminum/ceramic), Symposium (aluminum/tungsten), Magico Pods (aluminum/polymer), Walker (Brass/Polymer), RiZE (Aluminum/Polymer/Titanium) etc.

I often see electron microscopes referenced and it is really hard to argue with that so I won't. It just makes me wonder about what the differences are in the environments an electron microscope is used and that of an audio environment. I mean I don't think EMs are used in places where it would be subjected to the levels of airborne vibration like that you would find in a listening room with music playing. Most labs are pretty quiet. The isolation I would assume would be engineered more towards very low frequency seismic and other ground borne vibrations. I have no doubt a vibraplane would do an excellent job. I just wonder if it is as good at audio as it is for what it was originally designed for. I'm not curious enough to find out for myself.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

'Cept they don't use these "toys" for EM scopes :) It's more like a specially designed, one ton platform on active, air suspension feet. And it's not always successful either as they found out at Columbia. (Of course, are the frequencies affecting EM scopes the same as tables?) Despite their best efforts, the trucks going by on Amsterdam Ave. affected the scope's imaging. They eventually had to move the instruments elsewhere.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing