Hum issue with Icepower

olivier

VIP/Donor
Nov 27, 2016
Munich
Dear all,
a new M2TEch Crosby is in the house and i am wondering why there is a hum through the speakers when connected to the MX 150.
There is no difference if connected balanced or unbalanced.
With another Pre (Doge 9) there is no hum.
With a Hypex am or any other amp there is no hum connected to MX 150.
I thought like it could be the switching power supply of the M2Tech but it is onboard of the Icepower i think,
Any ideas?
Thanks
olivier

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Is rhe MX 150 a Mcintosh preamp. Different manufacturer of amp and preamp. Seems like a mismatch.

olivier

VIP/Donor
Nov 27, 2016
Munich
Thanks Kingrex
Yes a Mcintosh MX-150
Well there was no hum with other Brands like CAT, New Audio Frontiers, Nord NCORE, TAD 2500 MK2....

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
If its all quiet in other configuratuons, its not faults in individual components. Do you have the output impedance of rhe Mc and input of the M2. What are they.

I can't answer these type questions but others can tell from those numbers if it will work together. Someone may even know how to change one or the other or how to make them communicate better.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Is there a voltage difference? In the signal. Im not an engineer. I don't know what im talking about, but I would assume voltage would need to be the same.

Also power cords. Same circuit in wall for amp and preamp.

I actually have a more quiet system by amps on one receptacle and branch and front end on another receptacle and brance. Of course both same phase. Much more quiet. Equipment can inject noise onto power. Having 30 feet of wire between them helps.

Check for a ground issue. Move the plugs around to different receptacles. Even non audio. And change cables. On both. Disconnect all other gear. Pull the power cords and interconnect and or ether/coax. You know what I mean. Isolate the amp, preamp and speaker.

Good luck

olivier

VIP/Donor
Nov 27, 2016
Munich
Maybe it´s a voltage difference, cause when i unplug the unbalance connection the hum is gone...
But it is really strange that this only happens with this combination. With same setup but another amp or another preamp there is no hum

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
I don't have anything else. Im not a tech or engineer. It does not sound like a gear problem. It sounds like a mismatch for some reason.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing