Hum issues with Ortofon Quintet Mono cartridge

assessor43

Nov 1, 2018
I recently purchased a mono quintet MC cartridge and I am experiencing hum through a Pass labs Xono phono preamp. I have no hum with any other cartridges I own. I took the cartridge to my local brick and mortar where i puchased it and listened to it on the same turntable I have (technics 1200G) and no hum. They were using McIntosh preamp. I am perplexed.

Does anyone have any ideas whats going on?

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
My guess is improper grounding.It could be anything from a loose connection to a frayed or crimped wire.

assessor43

Nov 1, 2018
as it turns out, my phono pre and pre are dual mono so I only need 1 ground coming off the back of the cartridge, not 2.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Strange things happen. Try grounding the turntable to something other than the preamp. Some problems I had.
1.I misinterpreted the color coded dots on the back of the cartridge.
2. One of the connectors to the cartridge pins was slightly oversized.
3. The turntable was to close to the amplifier.

I had this problem at its' worse with a Grace F9e and a Phillips GA 212. The closer my hand got to the head shell, the louder the hum. I required professional help.

assessor43

Nov 1, 2018
Ortofon tells me I have to come out of the Phono preamp out of one channel and use a y connector Because its dual mono. Really... Cmon man.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing