Hurricane Florence | Flying Straight Through the Eye

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Florence is seriously making big waves. I checked several articles looking for one that is a little more complete than the others ...
https://weather.com/safety/hurrican...recast-north-carolina-south-carolina-virginia

I don't know how many WBF members live on the Carolinas' east coast, but I would put my hi-fi stereo system on the second floor or in the attic if you have one.

And stay safe with your families. If you live by the ocean, near the beaches of the East coast, I would move inland, West, northwest; visit the white house and the surrounding parks and gardens and libraries.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Storms like this occasionally made it very stressful to have a vacation beach house in the Outer Banks. Still, Sanderling, in the Northern part of Duck, is my favorite place in the world.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
It's scary indeed, very.

_____

https://youtu.be/euOd579rByg

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Hahaha, Bob. :eek: My house literally was adjacent to the Sanderling Inn, just north of the main Sanderling Inn building.

I could see my old house in the video! Sanderling is located in a very narrow part of the entire island, so there are several houses, including the house I had, that are the only structures sitting on land between the ocean and the Currituck Sound. So, from the living room, if you look one way you see the ocean, and if you look the other way you see the sound, with no obstructions in any direction. It makes me sad to reminisce about it.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
It is not easy to get to the Outer Banks from Manhattan (9 hour drive or 1.5 hour flight from La Guardia to Norfolk, VA and then a 2.5 hour drive). To get to the Outer Banks from Los Angeles literally takes the entire day (LAX to an airport in NC, then a connecting flight to Norfolk, VA, then a 2.5 hour drive).

The benefit of the difficult logistics from Manhattan was that often there were literally zero New Yorkers there. Duck felt completely different from Manhattan, which is one reason I loved it.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I could imagine Ron. I love the quietude and vastness of ocean's beaches, I love the movies* where they filmed those sceneries. I can feel the relaxation. I didn't realise that it was that long of a drive from New Work.

Right now the people who live there or have a vacation home around those areas...I can only imagine what they are going through, the deep angoisse. Florence is not bringing a picnic @ the beach, with red wine and French bread and cheese and foie gras, she's bringing wind fury and lots of water from above and below. Time to pray, time for the people to get out, time to brace, and hope for the best.

The best would be to lose power, to die down, to lose momentum and energy.
One day they'll come up with a new technology to diminish or exterminate hurricanes.
That day won't be tomorrow, Friday or Saturday.

God speed, and no lost of lives.

* https://www.outerbanksvacations.com/media-gallery/lists/vacation-lists-north-carolina-movies
** https://www.myrtlebeachlife.com/things-to-do-in-myrtle-beach/16-movies-shot-in-myrtle-beach-41299/

Grady98

Apr 27, 2018
East Coast
+1 Ron - Sanderling is one of my fav places on earth - and +1 on lack of New Yorkers! Tongue in cheek of course! Hoping the best...

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
+1 Ron - Sanderling is one of my fav places on earth - and +1 on lack of New Yorkers! Tongue in cheek of course! Hoping the best...

Welcome to WBF, Grady98!

Tongue in cheek? Not me -- I was serious!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing