Hydra Typhon T2

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
Aha, makes sense.
I also tried a low cost Class D amp (in a subwoofer) and it sounded better in the Denali vs the T2. I think mainly because it affected the DarTZeel connected to the T2.

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
I am still not fully clear on what the differences are between connecting a component to the Denali (that is connected to the T2 via an umbilical) vs directly to the T2?
The shortest path through to the wall is likely the best path for achieving the best DTCD. Plugging amps into the Denali forces the current to have to travel through the umbilical and then through the power cord connecting the T2 to the wall. Plugging the amp into the T2 shortens the path.

Grant from Shunyata mentioned to me that DTCD is more important to the performance of an amp than is noise reduction. So I suspect plugging the amp into the T2 might actually give up a little bit in terms if noise reduction to the amp in favor of better DTCD. The other thing that Grant mentioned was that power amps dump a lot of noise onto the AC, so maybe plugging an amp into the T2 also keeps noise exiting the amp from entering the source components plugged into the Denali.

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
The shortest path through to the wall is likely the best path for achieving the best DTCD. Plugging amps into the Denali forces the current to have to travel through the umbilical and then through the power cord connecting the T2 to the wall. Plugging the amp into the T2 shortens the path.

Grant from Shunyata mentioned to me that DTCD is more important to the performance of an amp than is noise reduction. So I suspect plugging the amp into the T2 might actually give up a little bit in terms if noise reduction to the amp in favor of better DTCD. The other thing that Grant mentioned was that power amps dump a lot of noise onto the AC, so maybe plugging an amp into the T2 also keeps noise exiting the amp from entering the source components plugged into the Denali.
Excellent explanation, thank you! Better than Richard‘s from Shunyata (although he is great).
This could explain why plugging a cheap (switching power supply) class D amp into the 2nd outlet of the T2 (next to the DarTZeel 108), degraded the sound from the ‘Zeel somewhat (even L-R balance was a bit off).
While Shunyata says that each outlet is isolated, they also say that it’s best to connect one components to one AC duplex in the Denali (i.e., if you only connect 3 components total), indicating that the outlets are not perfectly isolated.
I also imagine DTCD is diminished on a per amp basis if you connect 2 amps to the T2 vs just 1 amp. What do you think?

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
I also imagine DTCD is diminished on a per amp basis if you connect 2 amps to the T2 vs just 1 amp. What do you think?
That conversation with Grant that I mentioned was around the topic of a second dedicated circuit for amps. He thought that in some cases this could be more beneficial that running the amp directly into a Denali v1. His argument had to with two 20 amp circuits supplying a system affords that system greater current capability than a single 20 amp circuit so some amps could greatly benefit from that. I think that goes hand in hand with what you were saying about two amps into a T2 vs one. There would be less DTCD available to them.

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
That conversation with Grant that I mentioned was around the topic of a second dedicated circuit for amps. He thought that in some cases this could be more beneficial that running the amp directly into a Denali v1. His argument had to with two 20 amp circuits supplying a system affords that system greater current capability than a single 20 amp circuit so some amps could greatly benefit from that. I think that goes hand in hand with what you were saying about two amps into a T2 vs one. There would be less DTCD available to them.
What do you think about the best way to segment components with the Denali, if there are more than 3. Does it matter which pairs of components share a duplex outlet?
I know Shunyata recommends to connect all digital components on one Denali and all analog on another Denali (ideally). But in my case they are all analog.

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
What do you think about the best way to segment components with the Denali, if there are more than 3. Does it matter which pairs of components share a duplex outlet?
Everything matters, as you know. The nice thing though about Shunyata, is that components to component noise is something they go out of their way to address. I believe there are c2c filters between duplexes and between outlets on the Denali v2 (the v1 only has it between duplexes). Also, if you use their NR power cords, these also contain c2c filters. Regardless, I’d still try to separate noisy components from those more sensitive to noise - even when dealing with analog. Like maybe not having a phono stage share a duplex with something noisy.

Reactions: DetroitVinylRob

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
Everything matters, as you know. The nice thing though about Shunyata, is that components to component noise is something they go out of their way to address. I believe there are c2c filters between duplexes and between outlets on the Denali v2 (the v1 only has it between duplexes). Also, if you use their NR power cords, these also contain c2c filters. Regardless, I’d still try to separate noisy components from those more sensitive to noise - even when dealing with analog. Like maybe not having a phono stage share a duplex with something noisy.
Thank you, great advice!

Reactions: kennyb123

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
I am still not fully clear on what the differences are between connecting a component to the Denali (that is connected to the T2 via an umbilical) vs directly to the T2? I imagine the “supercharging” effect that Shunyata mentions is from the Denali outlets, since those have the dual benefit of the T2 + Denali. But Shunyata still advises to connect an amp into the T2 directly.

kennyb123 has it right

This is how I think of it: The Denali is primarily a power distributor. The T2 is a power conditioner with 2 outlets.

The original Typhon had considerably more of the ferroelectric material in larger NICs than the original Triton distributor and I believe that is the case today with the T2 and Denali. While the Denali includes NICs, connecting it with a T2 brings the benefits of the T2's larger capacity NICs to the six Denali outlets.

By adding two high-current outlets to the T2, it is now ideal for supplying the NIC technology (high-frequency noise reduction) to amplifiers, without requiring the amps to go through a distributor, a more direct path. This is ideal for the setup where the amps are by the speakers with front-end components on a separate rack. Alternatively, if your front-end consists of two components, say a CD player and a linestage, you don't need 6 outlets. Also if expenses are limited, you can buy a Denali for your front-end and then add the T2 later.

The "supercharging effect" mentioned is not a specific technology but the sum of the Shunyata technologies, ie what results from using either product separately or together.

DetroitVinylRob

VIP/Donor
Dec 29, 2016
Metropolitan Detroit area, MI
I’ve probably mentioned this before somewhere here but, funny enough, I really like the sound of my MA-1 OTL mono blocks plugged into a Denali V2 as opposed to being plugged directly into the wall. And these certainly draw a fair bit of current. The result is noticeably better micro dynamics and a sweeter micro detailed presentation with the lowered noise floor. This Denali V2 also has four field-coil power supplies feed from it, and is ground wire connected to my (second) Denali V2 feeding the front end of the kit. Both Denali plug into the main with Alpha V2 cables. The overall performance is unmistakably elevated by these Shunyata devices, mains cables, and grounding scheme. I’d be curious how a T2 would be integrated into this arrangement and of course, the possible sonic benefits.

Last edited:

DetroitVinylRob

VIP/Donor
Dec 29, 2016
Metropolitan Detroit area, MI

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing