I’m struggling to decide about buying an Ayre DX-5 DSD SACD & etc Player

Echolane

Apr 24, 2018
California
My CD player is down and I don’t have an SACD player for my audio system, I’m into really good sound and the new SACD players with the best audio quality run $10,000 to $16,000 and more (Marantz, Luxman, and Esoteric). I can’t afford that. I looked for used, first at the well regarded Ayre C-5xe but fairly quickly discovered that an Ayre Dx-5 DSD has much better sq. As does the DSD version have much better sq than the underlying DX-5. As far as I know the Ayre Dx-5 DSD s the best of the used market at around $5000. Which is still a big chunk of money, but not as much as the best of the new. Dare I invest in a product that must be about ten years old? I know an Oppo transport is used in the Ayre and I have an Oppo that could be used in case of need.

But still….. are there any other good choices out there with primo sound quality? I know there are Oppo’s that play CDs and SACDs but they are for video systems. They need a monitor to do setup. I would prefer something.suitable for a traditional audio system that does not have a TV or monitor.

Last edited:

Echolane

Apr 24, 2018
California

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
I would keep searching and saving.
For SACD I would consider the Denon 110 Anniversary player. I think it’s $3.5k.

gds7368

VIP/Donor
Jan 9, 2015
I would suggest a home demo of a Marantz 30n before I bought the used Ayre.

A year or so ago I had a home demo of the 30n and the MSB Select transport at the same time. The 30n was a great sounding unit, and I couldn't believe how competitive it was at 1/10 the cost of the MSB transport.

FWIW for five years my system had an Ayre KX-R 20 preamplifier with CX-7eMP CD player (which I used a transport through various Berkeley Audio DACs, first Alpha series 1 then Alpha series 2 then Reference1). Both Ayre units performed flawlessly during my ownership, and customer service was A+ as the dealer seamlessly sent both round trip to Ayre for upgrades (KX-R to KX-R 20, CX-7e to CX-7eMP). Heck, my friend has a QB-9 DAC and Ayre recently came out with a QB-9 20 upgrade ... and Ayre doesn't even make the QB-9 any more! Great customer service by Ayre IMHO.

The Ayre CD player was gone well before my demo of the 30n and Select 2 transports - and the Ayre components were in different rooms - so I cannot start to comment on Ayre transport (never had the DX-5) vs 30n. It is also worth noting that my Ayre ownership preceded Charles Hansen's unfortunate passing in 2017. Not sure how that affects the company.

Last edited:
Reactions: ecwl

pdubya

Oct 30, 2012
Audiophile wasteland
The DX5 is built on the bones of an Oppo and has a video section. If buying used you will want to be able to access the setup menus through video-out in order to make sure all settings are as you desire. I recently sent my 10 year old unit in for repair — for a few hundred bucks, why not, just to keep as backup — and can vouch for their 2022 service quality. Presumably they would extend service to secondary owners? BTW, the Charlie-era dsd DAC in the DX5 still sounds pretty good.
Brand new Marantz probably better option, particularly as you can likely get a 30 day return window buying from the likes of MusicDirect.

Last edited:
Reactions: gds7368

Echolane

Apr 24, 2018
California
I would suggest a home demo of a Marantz 30n before I bought the used Ayre.

A year or so ago I had a home demo of the 30n and the MSB Select transport at the same time. The 30n was a great sounding unit, and I couldn't believe how competitive it was at 1/10 the cost of the MSB transport.

FWIW for five years my system had an Ayre KX-R 20 preamplifier with CX-7eMP CD player (which I used a transport through various Berkeley Audio DACs, first Alpha series 1 then Alpha series 2 then Reference1). Both Ayre units performed flawlessly during my ownership, and customer service was A+ as the dealer seamlessly send both round trip to Ayre for upgrades (KX-R to 20, CX-7e to CX-7eMP). Heck, my friend has a QB-9 DAC and Ayre recently came out with a QB-9 20 upgrade ... and Ayre doesn't even make the QB-9 any more! Great customer service by Ayre IMHO.

The Ayre CD player was gone well before my demo of the 30n and Select 2 transports - and the Ayre components were in different rooms - so I cannot start to comment on Ayre transport (never had the DX-5) vs 30n. It is also worth noting that my Ayre ownership preceded Charles Hansen's unfortunate passing in 2017. Not sure how that affects the company.
Thanks for the good tip on the Marantz player, I had seen the more expensive one. I think it costs around $8000 if I remember correctly, which is too much for me. I’d be better off going for either one of the Marantz options simply because they are newer. It’s not entirely a no-brainer though because the Ayre sold for something around $10,000 around ten-eleven years ago. And the DSD option added another $1200 to the price. So it’s a little hard to pass up the opportunity to own a $12000 player for a fraction of its original pricel. Adjusted for inflation, it is equivalent to something costing around $16,333 today.
I sure wish I could audition them all , but that’s not easy in this day of rare brick and mortar stores.

Muser

Jan 21, 2016
Echo:

Whether the Oppo players are to your standard or not, I don't know. However, Oppo provided a nice app available for iOS. I like it very much, but for me I could only get it to work while it was connected by ethernet - that was during the period dealing with my dad's Alzheimers (or mine?) so maybe that's not necessary. I don't know about other OSs.

Good luck,

Larry

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
I would keep searching and saving.
For SACD I would consider the Denon 110 Anniversary player. I think it’s $3.5k.

A friend swears by this Denon. He also says build quality is stunning.

Echolane

Apr 24, 2018
California
The DX5 is built on the bones of an Oppo and has a video section. If buying used you will want to be able to access the setup menus through video-out in order to make sure all settings are as you desire. I recently sent my 10 year old unit in for repair — for a few hundred bucks, why not, just to keep as backup — and can vouch for their 2022 service quality. Presumably they would extend service to secondary owners? BTW, the Charlie-era dsd DAC in the DX5 still sounds pretty good.
Brand new Marantz probably better option, particularly as you can likely get a 30 day return window buying from the likes of MusicDirect.
I’m in contact with Ayre. They still offer an upgrade for the original DX-5. In fact, they still service even their oldest products. I wish more companies would have this ethic!

Echolane

Apr 24, 2018
California
Echo:

Whether the Oppo players are to your standard or not, I don't know. However, Oppo provided a nice app available for iOS. I like it very much, but for me I could only get it to work while it was connected by ethernet - that was during the period dealing with my dad's Alzheimers (or mine?) so maybe that's not necessary. I don't know about other OSs.

Good luck,

Larry
Hmmm, that’s interesting. I didn’t know Oppo has an iOS app and I own two Oppo players, the early 83SE and the latest (and sadly, last) 205. I’ll have to check it out.
But as for choosing an Oppo to put in my audio system, I don’t think so. The only model with a linear power supply is the 205 and I need that for my TV system. All the others have switch mode power supplies, a decidedly inferior non-audiophile choice as far as I am concerned.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
From the Movie Ronin:
"Where there is doubt there is no doubt."

Reactions: analyzer

Echolane

Apr 24, 2018
California
Right or wrong, I’m going to buy a used Ayre DX-10 DSD. It was a well regarded player in its day retailing for > $10,000 which is around $16,000 today adjusting for inflation. Though it doesn’t mean that a better player hasn’t come along. But the thing is, I can’t afford the better player!
Thanks to all for the feedback.

Last edited:

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
You should be happy.

I still use an Ayre C5xe MP. I have a spare transport. It has been in service for almost 18 years. Hard to beat that. Great digital sound and I’m and dedicated to Vinyl LP and silver discs, CD/SACD. No streaming for me except the occasional podcast on my phone.

Echolane

Apr 24, 2018
California
You should be happy.

I still use an Ayre C5xe MP. I have a spare transport. It has been in service for almost 18 years. Hard to beat that. Great digital sound and I’m and dedicated to Vinyl LP and silver discs, CD/SACD. No streaming for me except the occasional podcast on my phone.
Congratulations on your 18 year old Ayre CD/SACD player! Eighteen Years in use makes your player a very good investment. I will need mine to last another 5-10 years based on demographics for women of my age. Depending on the manufacturing date of mine I’ll hope to get the same eighteen years that you’ve got. Plus mine will be gone over thoroughly before it is upgraded to DSD. So I hope to do as well as you are doing.

Unlike you, I love to stream my music. I have ripped all my CDs and play them almost exclusively. In fact, I’ve never enjoyed my music more than I do now. I think I’ve acquired more music in the last three years than I acquired in the last 50. And because I rip my CDs I don’t feel the need to buy new. That saves me a lot. Though it doesn’t pay for the equipment needed to stream, that’s for sure! . I’ll have to admit that. I also have a significant LP collection which I almost never play. I want to acquire an LP cleaner because I can’t stand the idea of playing dirty records. I had the experience of listening to one of my records before and after it was cleaned. The difference was absolutely jaw dropping. I have hardly played an LP since.

gds7368

VIP/Donor
Jan 9, 2015
Congratulations on the upcoming Ayre purchase!

For an inexpensive record clean I might suggest this (my friend has one and swears by it)

Echolane

Apr 24, 2018
California
A Congratulations on the upcoming Ayre purchase!

For an inexpensive record clean I might suggest this (my friend has one and swears by it)

Thanks for the great tip on a record cleaner. It does look like a good substitute for the very pricey ultrasonic cleaners. And with nothing whatever that would need maintenance it is a winning idea.

As for the Ayre, I’m sure I’ll like it.

I have to ask you about your Ultra K Series Transformer. I have a Trifield EMI tester that records the peak to peak levels of “dirty” electricity. Mine is exceptionally dirty and I’ve been looking for solutions. It looks like you have a gadget expressly for this purpose. I hope you will tell me about it.

Last edited:

Echolane

Apr 24, 2018
California
It sounds fabulous! Really appealing! I have an Oppo BDP-83SE and I’ve checked in with two mod sites and they are both former mod sites because of problems with parts availability.
I also have the Oppo UDP-205 and I suppose it could still be modded but am averse to losing Oppo’s support if my machine is modded, Besides, the 205 is in my TV system and I’m seeking a SACD player for my primary audio system.
I have a really good deal pending with Ayre. They are upgrading a DX-5 with the DSD upgrade, this after going over everything very thoroughly. I double checked with the author of the good review on the DSD version. He still stands by the review, I think it was 2014, and recommends it even against newer SACD models on the market. In fact he continues to use his own Ayre DSD player. As well Ayre continues to standby all their older products. That said, the transport is always the weak link. That is a potential problem but since I own an older Oppo I am no longer using and which was lightly used anyway, I feel protected. If it turns out that it doesn’t sound as good as your Wavetouch mod, well then I’ll just have to live with it anyway because I can’t really afford the newest players that are considered “audiophile” quality. IOW, very costly.
BTW, I went to the Wavetouch site and didn’t see anything about Oppo mods. What am I overlooking?

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing