I can't believe I just bought a new...

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Nice! But how did we go from grey to blue

If a File is "untagged"( no colour profile attached) it will assume the placement sites assigned colourspace.
Internet is usually Srgb colour -- If the Car pictured is overly coloured, as here Pic 1-then is probably assumed the colour of an "upscale" colour space.

i.e. Adobe RGB-which possibly in this case is what Google use.

I'd say the second Pic is more correct of the file and is Srgb colourspace .

Bruce

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Update: So far so good! The car is really amazing and a joy to drive. It's chassis is simply awesome, handling is near perfect and makes 455 hp seem kinda tame, in fact to some that is it's biggest drawback... it simply doesn't have the drama a lot of other cars do at speed. You can go far too fast without realizing it.

I'd definitely encourage folks to check it out and compare it to BMW M-cars and Audi S and RS models. If you need to keep up with those new turbo motors the ZL1 model will do that. The SS 1LE is close but isn't as fast in a straight line vs some modern German turbo cars, esp w/awd... but none of them will keep up around corners. :)

It's also practical enough, it gets over 20 mpg average and can hit high 20s on the highway. There is enough trunk and backseat space for small loads and small people, and it carries bikes easily... without excessive fuel economy or handling issues like my STi had carrying bikes.
I agree, I was looking for a performance sedan with a manual gearbox for a while Germans weren’t offering anything of interest and Alfa didn’t follow through with the manual Giulia so I ended up buying a Chevy SS last year and I love it! Not counting Jeeps my first American car ever and I can’t believe how wonderful it is with the magnetic suspension, best of all I can get it serviced in town and don’t have to drive 300 miles to get it serviced like my Audi. But when it snows on roads like this the RS6 is untouchable, try 100mph+! :D

david

D94BCFA0-9CFF-424C-8353-105371D0A5EF.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: DaveC and christoph

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
David, it is also snowing there where you live today?
It sure is snowing here where I am right now, a good four inches since late last night.

* That Cameo Camaro looks great Dave; is she electric? :cool:

GMKF

VIP/Donor
Aug 15, 2017
Munich
I agree, I was looking for a performance sedan with a manual gearbox for a while Germans weren’t offering anything of interest and Alfa didn’t follow through with the manual Giulia so I ended up buying a Chevy SS last year and I love it! Not counting Jeeps my first American car ever and I can’t believe how wonderful it is with the magnetic suspension, best of all I can get it serviced in town and don’t have to drive 300 miles to get it serviced like my Audi. But when it snows on roads like this the RS6 is untouchable, try 100mph+! :D

david
You have got one of the very rare RS6's in the US ? Did you buy it new ? Sedan or Avant ?
WoW !

Reactions: ddk

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
You have got one of the very rare RS6's in the US ? Did you buy it new ? Sedan or Avant ?
WoW !

Yes, bought it new when they came out. I wanted the Avant but the US version was only the sedan, loved it from day 1 and it’s still kickass.

David, it is also snowing there where you live today?
It sure is snowing here where I am right now, a good four inches since late last night.

* That Cameo Camaro looks great Dave; is she electric? :cool:

We have all 4 seasons where I live, this last snow was about a foot deep and where I took the picture near Bryce Canyon was close to 2’!

david

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein

david

View attachment 48476
For me and my Corvette C7 it is the exact opposite.
The next Corvette Garage is 117km or 126km away from me :confused:

If I drove an Audi, the next 2 Garages are 3km and 4km away and a third one is 11km away :rolleyes:

But then again, the Vette is much more fun to drive than any Audi or a non-GT Porsche :cool:

Reactions: DaveC and ddk

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah

If I drove an Audi, the next 2 Garages are 3km and 4km away and a third one is 11km away :rolleyes:

But then again, the Vette is much more fun to drive than any Audi or a non-GT Porsche :cool:
I’m with you too many electronics in German cars today and current Audi US line up is quite boring like most of their models, BMW and Mercedes cars aren’t any more exciting but at least they offer a better lineup. All too refined...

david

Reactions: christoph

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
I’m with you too many electronics in German cars today and current Audi US line up is quite boring like most of their models, BMW and Mercedes cars aren’t any more exciting but at least they offer a better lineup. All too refined...

david

Yes, drove a VW Touareg rental two weeks ago in Austria and was frustrated how many steps you had to take to turn off that silly "lane assist" each time. Takes the fun out of it. Otherwise nice car.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Yes, drove a VW Touareg rental two weeks ago in Austria and was frustrated how many steps you had to take to turn off that silly "lane assist" each time. Takes the fun out of it. Otherwise nice car.
Did the display remain raised when the car is on? The one in the new Q7 stays up all the time When and flashes distractingly useless info even with the display off and won’t lower until the engine is off, really stupid and annoying. Lane assist didn’t have a default off position, had to do it manually every time I got in the car annoying me even more on top off the forced raised display always in line of vision.

david

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Did the display remain raised when the car is on? The one in the new Q7 stays up all the time When and flashes distractingly useless info even with the display off and won’t lower until the engine is off, really stupid and annoying. Lane assist didn’t have a default off position, had to do it manually every time I got in the car annoying me even more on top off the forced raised display always in line of vision.

david

I'm not sure what you mean with raised display, there was only an indicator light. But yes, annoying that there was no default off position. I don't need electronics interfering with my steering.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
I'm not sure what you mean with raised display, there was only an indicator light. But yes, annoying that there was no default off position. I don't need electronics interfering with my steering.

This thing remains in that position when the engine is running and only lowers when the car is off.

david
4597B13B-8047-4CAC-86D1-F0B9C342AA8D.jpeg

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
This thing remains in that position when the engine is running and only lowers when the car is off.

david
View attachment 48481

Oh boy. No, fortunately I had nothing like that in the Touareg.

My display was lower, in the middle. You could turn it off, and it remained off in that state.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014

david

I miss AWD for the snow, but the Camaro is fun to drive with Michelin Pilot Alpin tires, you just have to be more careful not to get it stuck. One day I may buy another STi, but it would have to be a '04-'07. The AWD system is excellent and the older car's smaller size works better.

I almost bought a Chevy SS when they went on closeout sale, and probably would have if I could have kept it as a secondary car. When I bought my Camaro there was a mint low-mile SS at the dealer that sold for about the same as new prices. I'm surprised the SS never did better in sales, it's a great car, the same chassis and drivetrain as a top end Gen 5 Camaro actually. Next time you're at the Chevy dealer you should see if they have a ZL1 or ZL1 1LE available they'd let you drive :)

The old RS6 was no slouch either, nearly 500 hp and awd if I remember right. Not a lot of those cars around, and definitely a sleeper... The new RS7 looks pretty ridiculous!

Reactions: rando

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014

Vettes are awesome, I've wanted one since driving a friend's C5 Z06 with the 505 hp LS7. The Camaro is like the more mature, GT version of that car... it's a little bigger and heavier, maybe not quite as powerful, but it's learned good technique over the years and isn't much slower. :)

Actually, I was going to get an Aston Martin Vantage, but then I stopped by the Chevy dealer... ;)

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I would never drive a WRX/STI where I live because only shit heads drive them here. They're all vaping retards that listen to garbage music, and have their pants sagging bad. Scum. You're better off in that Camaro anyday. However if I were you I'd probably acquire a winter beater.

That screen is annoying in that it won't go down. I would literally ask the place if they could install a switch for it. I'm sure it's possible. While I've never done this, I've always thought if I found a car with a deal breaker feature that isn't hard to change... ask the dealer to change it and offer them more money. What would they say? I don't know, not really. The problem is so many new cars do have features I cannot, and will not live with under any circumstance. Luckily I don't have to deal with that in my current vehicle that's pretty low mileage for the year.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
I miss AWD for the snow, but the Camaro is fun to drive with Michelin Pilot Alpin tires, you just have to be more careful not to get it stuck. One day I may buy another STi, but it would have to be a '04-'07. The AWD system is excellent and the older car's smaller size works better.

I almost bought a Chevy SS when they went on closeout sale, and probably would have if I could have kept it as a secondary car. When I bought my Camaro there was a mint low-mile SS at the dealer that sold for about the same as new prices. I'm surprised the SS never did better in sales, it's a great car, the same chassis and drivetrain as a top end Gen 5 Camaro actually. Next time you're at the Chevy dealer you should see if they have a ZL1 or ZL1 1LE available they'd let you drive :)

The old RS6 was no slouch either, nearly 500 hp and awd if I remember right. Not a lot of those cars around, and definitely a sleeper... The new RS7 looks pretty ridiculous!
Coupes and two seaters are out for me need a proper sedan and if I can help it I wouldn't buy another automatic again.

david

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Quick update on the Camaro! I've been doing some autocross racing this year... one of the few things that's outdoors without many others around so both SCCA and BMW car club had a race series this year.

The car is still on stock tires, but I'm going to get some specialty tires and a few other tweaks for next year! Despite that, in races where my tires heated up enough (autocross is short duration vs track, so OEM tires don't heat up enough), I did pretty well. Here's a couple pics of the races and results. 2nd pic is from BMW event, so all non-BMWs are in "open" class, but I posted the BMW B-Street results, which is the same class my car is in. I would have got 3rd out of 20 BMWs, and I got 2nd in open based on PAX (handicap adjusted) times, but not on raw time as some cars are classed above mine. 1st results are from a larger format race at pike's peak international raceway, where I could put some power down and get up to ~80 mph in a few areas, this favors my car a bit more, it can get up to 90 or so very quickly. 2nd pic can be larger if you click on it then click on the pic in the new window...

All in all, this car is really amazing. It's the best car I've ever driven on the highway and can get 30 mpg cruising at 85 mph, and it feels very stable and secure at speed. Not the best car for tight parking garages though, lol!

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
Quick update on the Camaro! I've been doing some autocross racing this year... one of the few things that's outdoors without many others around so both SCCA and BMW car club had a race series this year.

The car is still on stock tires, but I'm going to get some specialty tires and a few other tweaks for next year! Despite that, in races where my tires heated up enough (autocross is short duration vs track, so OEM tires don't heat up enough), I did pretty well. Here's a couple pics of the races and results. 2nd pic is from BMW event, so all non-BMWs are in "open" class, but I posted the BMW B-Street results, which is the same class my car is in. I would have got 3rd out of 20 BMWs, and I got 2nd in open based on PAX (handicap adjusted) times, but not on raw time as some cars are classed above mine. 1st results are from a larger format race at pike's peak international raceway, where I could put some power down and get up to ~80 mph in a few areas, this favors my car a bit more, it can get up to 90 or so very quickly. 2nd pic can be larger if you click on it then click on the pic in the new window...

All in all, this car is really amazing. It's the best car I've ever driven on the highway and can get 30 mpg cruising at 85 mph, and it feels very stable and secure at speed. Not the best car for tight parking garages though, lol!

Nice improvement on your times! Well done.
The Porsche in first on the top list wicked consistent times.
You were very consistent on the lower list.
Looks like fun was had by all.

Reactions: DaveC

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
Coupes and two seaters are out for me need a proper sedan and if I can help it I wouldn't buy another automatic again.

david
Why DCT gear boxes are far better and faster than anything you can do with a third pedal.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
I would never drive a WRX/STI where I live because only shit heads drive them here. They're all vaping retards that listen to garbage music, and have their pants sagging bad.

We call them Dude Bro's because that's how they start every sentence, "Dude, Bro did you see that"

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing