I don't know how you did it but thank you everyone!!!

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Are singers/band like Patrcia Barber considered jazz. If so then welcome aboard. I started with rock, and when younger I could not imagine anything else. Now I listen to classical (string quartets), jazz, and sometimes rock. Since it is a Saturday night, Marilyn Manson is playing, but tomorrow and until next Friday it will be Shostakovich and gang.

Marylin Manson? ...She's a jazz singer?

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
Excellent news amirm, tho as yet you may have only scratched the surface of the genre as a whole - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_jazz_genres

I had only just turned 17 when I was first introduced to the many varied styles of Jazz by my then girlfriend, being somewhat older than I, making me up compilation tapes of Free, Fusion and 'Well'Hard Bop, she blew my mind! and I quite enjoyed the tunes as well.

After sushi, jazz, and classical, try listening again to the Martin Logans with the DSP switched off :p

I have and do ;)

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Awesome news! A whole new world of music!

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
And all sushi is disgusting, all of it.
The trick to sushi is s good infusion of wasabi in the dunking soy and an extra glop to the non dunked top of a maki serving. Cleans the nasal cavity and Sears the throat. Careful now as too much will keep you out of the conversation for awhile. Luckily it is typically short lived unlike a let's say a ghost pepper burn. ;)
I should add that sushi is more about texture IMHO as flavor tends to come from the different condiments.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
The trick to sushi is s good infusion of wasabi in the dunking soy and an extra glop to the non dunked top of a maki serving. Cleans the nasal cavity and Sears the throat. Careful now as too much will keep you out of the conversation for awhile. Luckily it is typically short lived unlike a let's say a ghost pepper burn. ;)

Never have sushi with wasabi and soy unless you want to overpower the taste of the sushi. The only time I use those is when the sushi itself doesn't taste good. The best sushi restaurant in London tightly says no to serving you these things

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
As added above I tend to treat the raw fish as a texture experience vs flavor. Not unlike quite a bit of Asian style cuisine in general. Some textures can be downright strange. IMHO. Again one is trying to get non sushi, darn right, anti sushi eaters to initially partake. Enjoying the subtleties, initially, is not the target.

Keith_W

Mar 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
www.whatsbestforum.com
Most wasabi served with sushi is not wasabi. It is Japanese horseradish with green dye. Real wasabi isn't as pungent, and is much more fragrant.

Amir, if you get into classical music, a whole world awaits. This music has lasted hundreds of years for good reason. Bach has been my preoccupation all my life, and even then I still do not know all his pieces despite having built up a rather substantial Bach collection!

I was telling a friend that classical music can sometimes be a little like reading War and Peace, particularly some really long works. It's hard going the first time, and you may not enjoy it. But once you get to know it, the satisfaction you get from that music is without rival.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Amir, if you get into classical music, a whole world awaits. This music has lasted hundreds of years for good reason. Bach has been my preoccupation all my life, and even then I still do not know all his pieces despite having built up a rather substantial Bach collection!
I believe it! It is a fair bit of suffering as it was with Jazz to see members recommend with passion music that I could not understand. I need you guys to teach me how to love it just the same as Jazz. Have an idea of where to start and will post a new thread on that :).

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I believe it! It is a fair bit of suffering as it was with Jazz to see members recommend with passion music that I could not understand. I need you guys to teach me how to love it just the same as Jazz. Have an idea of where to start and will post a new thread on that :).

Look forward to it. In the meantime, if you are starting to like jazz, and you want to delve into Classical...a fun spot [might] be Jacques Loussier...a fantastic jazz trio (very much like David Brubeck 'Time Out'...but based on classical...i like the ones based on Bach's music.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Look forward to it. In the meantime, if you are starting to like jazz, and you want to delve into Classical...a fun spot [might] be Jacques Loussier...a fantastic jazz trio (very much like David Brubeck 'Time Out'...but based on classical...i like the ones based on Bach's music.
Love it!

Thank you. Keep them coming :).

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Most wasabi served with sushi is not wasabi. It is Japanese horseradish with green dye. Real wasabi isn't as pungent, and is much more fragrant.
Very true, Keith. But it would be impractical to use, TMK, as it is quite perishable.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I think that what might apply here is the term "casual fan." Enjoying Arthur Feidler and the Boston Pops pla the 1812 Overture on the 4th of July does nt make you a classical music lover.I thank Telarc and David Chesky (Chesk brothers) for acquainting me with classical music. Their recording of works such as Stravinskys Firebird Suiye or Cheskys recording Scheherazade were so good I could not ignore them

fugue in D.jpg

It's much better with organ than piano

Greg : So what kind of food Do you Like?
Girl: I rally like Sushi.
Greg: Uh! Disgusting.
Girl: Its an aphrodisiac.
Greg: Really Is there a restaurant nearby?

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Love it!

Thank you. Keep them coming :).

Fantastic! Yes, great album. You may wish to try Bach Goldberg Variations (again performed by Jacques Loussier Trio). And then if you dig it, we can try to migrate you across to the original classical. Though to be honest, there are lot of other places in classical i think i might point someone to early on before Goldberg Variations.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I think that what might apply here is the term "casual fan." Enjoying Arthur Feidler and the Boston Pops pla the 1812 Overture on the 4th of July does nt make you a classical music lover.I thank Telarc and David Chesky (Chesk brothers) for acquainting me with classical music. Their recording of works such as Stravinskys Firebird Suiye or Cheskys recording Scheherazade were so good I could not ignore them

View attachment 22614

It's much with organ than piano
See, this kind of classical music I already like. But did not have this album and will be buying it next :).

sujay

Member Sponsor
May 5, 2012
Singapore
Hi, I have been following this thread keenly including Kedar's 'acquired' love for sushi! Admittedly, I am (or probably was) not really a fan of classic music, though I love sushi (despite being allergic to all forms of seafood) and other, seemingly esoteric, Far East Asian food.

But the point I am trying to make is that I have come a long way in the last 8 years and embraced classical music. I have taken a particular liking for large symphonic pieces of the likes of Musorgsky and Mahler. My hypothesis is that all music have certain parts that appeal to one's taste and in my case it's the energy, grandeur and sheer dynamism of large symphonies, akin to the energy and dynamism of rock/ metal ( I dare say, I do draw that parallel between two genres at opposite ends of the spectrum). And I continue to draw upon the infinite diversity that I get introduced to through this forum......truth be told, 90% of the new music taste that I have gathered/ acquired in the last 3-4 years have been through this forum!! So thanks......
Coming to jazz, I do like some forms, which are vocal based.....but I am still far away from heavy instrumental stuff like Count Basie and Coltrane. As Amir says, I really want to and am trying hard to like it but I struggle. And that goes to prove my hypothesis....the way my musical tastes are hard coded, there is precious little there that appeals to me.
My search for new, beautiful music that stirs me down to my soul and draws tears from my eyes continues........

Cheers

Sujay
PS - some may find it hard to believe that Metallica and Sabbath, listened to very, very loud, stirs me up like few other things do (-:
To each his/her own.......

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing