I just joined the 15 ips club with a ReVox PR99 Mark 2

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
So after experimenting with 7.5 ips commercial tapes on a ReVox A77, I purchased a PR99 Mark 2 reconditioned by the legendary Soren Wittrup. I also bought a Tape Project issue of Kenny Burrell and John Coltrane which sounds spectacular. This machine has a switch for direct tape head out and also a switch for IEC/NAB. Transport has been upgraded a bit and many of the electronic internals are brand new.

I am really enjoying the sound so far. Feels very natural and smooth in a good way while not lacking any resolution.

I think it‘s going to be a fun but expensive journey! BADD9167-B536-4001-9DEA-2C23F35C6677.jpeg

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
congrats....a true workhorse machine often used as alternative to Studer A810 in Norwegian broadcasting local branches and smaller radio stations

Reactions: Lee

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
P.S. I added the EVP footers which made a nice difference. Also, I was able to gently use a Magic Eraser to clean up the original take-up reel. The hubs are the now hard to find original ReVox. I also have the wired remote which comes in handy from the listening chair.

We tested the recording capability at the seller’s house and it was very impressive! The back case has been resprayed so this was an extensive recondition effort!

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
congrats....a true workhorse machine often used as alternative to Studer A810 in Norwegian broadcasting local branches and smaller radio stations
Thanks!

I have several more tapes coming in between now and January from Tape Project, Acoustic Sounds, and Yarlung Records.

godofwealth

Feb 8, 2022
So after experimenting with 7.5 ips commercial tapes on a ReVox A77, I purchased a PR99 Mark 2 reconditioned by the legendary Soren Wittrup. I also bought a Tape Project issue of Kenny Burrell and John Coltrane which sounds spectacular. This machine has a switch for direct tape head out and also a switch for IEC/NAB. Transport has been upgraded a bit and many of the electronic internals are brand new.

I am really enjoying the sound so far. Feels very natural and smooth in a good way while not lacking any resolution.

I think it‘s going to be a fun but expensive journey! View attachment 100493
There’s a timeless elegance and beauty in the design of these classic open reel decks. I’ve never owned one, but I can imagine it sounds great. I think Classic Records now sells open reel prerecorded tapes but it’s pricey.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Congratulations, Lee! The machine looks beautiful!

Enjoy this tape journey!

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
There’s a timeless elegance and beauty in the design of these classic open reel decks. I’ve never owned one, but I can imagine it sounds great. I think Classic Records now sells open reel prerecorded tapes but it’s pricey.
Thanks! I don’t think Classic does but I could be wrong.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Congrats on the new deck. You are going to love it.

Can you post a picture of the back of the machine when you get a chance?

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Thanks! I don’t think Classic does but I could be wrong.

They don’t. Analogue Productions is the closet thing since Chad bought the LPs, so to speak.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Congrats on the new deck. You are going to love it.

Can you post a picture of the back of the machine when you get a chance?

Yes. I will try to do that in the morning when the light is better.

Foxbat

Jun 11, 2020
Congratulations, it is a nice machine!

You might consider trying this little trick to make it sound better - use a DIN cable to take the signal out of the Monitor connector, it produces much better sound than its standard balanced output. You can buy ready made cables on ebay and elsewhere.

Also, there are great wireless remotes available from one person on ebay, I have several of his units and they work absolutely great, I strongly recommend them, I believe he makes one for that machine.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
9FC3E7FB-A30F-4DE8-A2E7-37CAF7D69EAB.jpeg

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
D16E770D-F70F-4A93-9741-2A01CB529679.jpeg

Reactions: dminches

dminches

Oct 22, 2011

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
I wanted to have both EQs and the flexibility to do a tape pre down the road.

i just put a Shunyata Sigma power cord on the back and wow what a difference in sound quality. It had the original stock cable.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
here´s some interesting mods
Thank you. Excellent article. I believe that the mods suggested were done by Soren on my deck but I will find out more details. The friend who sold it to me always gets the maximum treatment done.

adrianywu

Nov 15, 2021

I think it‘s going to be a fun but expensive journey! View attachment 100493
Hi Lee, how do you find the quality of the commercial 4 track tapes on the A77 when compared to the modern 15ips tapes from Tape Project, Analogue Productions etc ? These 4 track tapes can be bought for very little money in most cases.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing