I-Qual Vacuum Disc Mate IQ1300A (Vacuum platter)

Direct Drive

Sep 16, 2020
East Anglia, UK
Following on from the SAT TT discussion and my attention being drawn to a vacuum platter. I remembered the Audio Technica vacuum mat, AT-666. They are still available second hand, but of course 25 years plus in age.

The I-Qual Vacuum Disc Mate IQ1300A is a modern interpretation of the AT-666, with some refinements and suggested retail is £995. I found it being offered in France at a very competitive price, 650Euro (UPS not so competitive in their shipping price), and 24hrs later it has arrived undamaged (unlike the FR-64 which arrived from Japan yesterday- 9" FR-64 anyone?)

Friday, perfect for a weekend of testing and listening.........

VM.jpg

VM-1.jpg

TooCool4

Feb 7, 2013
England
Nice, let us know what you think.

Direct Drive

Sep 16, 2020
East Anglia, UK
Initial thoughts are very positive. Need to spend longer with it. It takes about 30-45 seconds to create the vacuum. Some records require 2 goes as the pump has an auto off. It really makes a difference with 100g/120g vinyl.
Some things I might have done differently. Anyway more anon.

Direct Drive

Sep 16, 2020
East Anglia, UK
So after a week I think it is worth it. Some records it struggles with; those that are quite warped. However it does come with a 1 kilo steel sheet (foam backed) to help out by putting even pressure across the whole record. You don't have to use it but I have found easier with. On a few records I run the pump for a second time just to make sure.
Sound wise it really helps with the bottom end. I use Maggie's 1.7 without subs. This has added to the bottom in a way a modest sub might (never used one so don't really know). Definitely feeling bass I have not before. There is also an improvement in surface noise which is often an issue on slightly warped records. 120g definitely are improved. Bring them up to 180g level.
Fundamentally it has improved in the way you might expect a new cartridge to, only probably cost less than the cartridge would.
I've been using it on my SP10 MK2/P with FR64X and plain old Audio Techinia AT33EV. It has elevated this set up and I'm really enjoying it and not inclined to move it out of rotation. I will try it on the other TTs. Rock solid with huge soundstage. Records I thought mediocre, if not unlistenable have become listenable, enjoyable. That in my opinion is the best test.
If I was to make one suggestion in regards to change of the design, it would to have the ability to disconnect the vacuum hose form the puck. On this set up the puck is removed once the vacuum is created. However there is a vacuum between the pick and the LP. It eems silly to break this vacuum by removing it. If the puck remained it would work similar to a record weight as the vacuum holds the record tight.
Anyway €650 posted in in Europe seems more than a fair price. Not sure what for the money would provide a similar uplift.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing