I said I would never buy another Turntable...Argh !!!

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Thank you. Quick iPhone pic. I can do better with an slr and a little cleanup.

I listen to a full array of music....Classic/Progressive Rock, Classic Pop, Golden Age Jazz and Classical(Full Orchestra/Chamber), not so much with opera. I like variety for carts. Decisions on what I use are not related to the basic tonal balance of the system as a whole. Variety is the spice of life and bayonet type arms make that easy to do.
Do you still use solid state phono preamps, or is it all tube now ? I have recently
gone tube phono and baffled at the improvement.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Class A Solid State Pass XS for main pre/power amps. Tube phonostages. I feel the same way about SS vs tube for phono. I will admit I never heard the best solid state like pass xs, burmester, dagastino though....

Reactions: Lagonda

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
@rockitman . I saw your pic here with wooden cart box and thought it was my table..hehe. Family resemblance.

Tang :)

BAEE4109-E52C-4531-872D-9A409F343AF8.jpeg
815C95D1-2E1F-49DE-BDB6-161DB0C9B64A.jpeg

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Phono stage MUST be tubes, you lose too much to SS phono.
david
David, I’m running my phono with stock tubes and it does everything surprisingly better than SS, more nuanced bass, increase in detail and color and amazing dynamics.
The leather platter mat and cables you sent me had already given a more neutral/ balanced presentation from my TT, but i was surprised how much
more where in those grooves, just waiting to be presented with a good
phono preamp.

Reactions: christoph and ddk

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Hi Christian / David

I have decided to try full frontal with the Wilson speakers. funny, after living so long with the Wilson toe in method - its seems that each speaker is facing towards the side walls :D

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
It does look like that way. It must be some sort of optical illusion.

Your room looks great!

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
It does look like that way. It must be some sort of optical illusion.

Your room looks great!

thanks Ron. Certainly not as grand as Christian wonderful high ceiling - always envious of anyone that has high ceilings as they generally only positively impact sq.

I don't believe many people ever see Wilson speakers straight on, so it is an optical illusion for everyone. You never see as much of the inside of each speaker at the sitting position.

cheers

Reactions: Ron Resnick

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
All speakers look strange straight on. You're D'agostino looks small because I've only seen pictures of their monster one lately.

Reactions: XV-1

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
The leather platter mat and cables you sent me had already given a more neutral/ balanced presentation from my TT, but i was surprised how much
phono preamp.

Did you get the special mat in Connelly Leather using African Brahman cow hide? This is a secret weapon from ddk. The cow must be a virgin cow specially fed with only young grass. The tickness must be exactly 1.45 milimeter otherwise that last bit of nuance would be lost. Your room temperature must be no more than 15 degree celcius.

Tang ;)

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Hi Christian / David

I have decided to try full frontal with the Wilson speakers. funny, after living so long with the Wilson toe in method - its seems that each speaker is facing towards the side walls :D

Noo...Shane. You are infected. The ddk virus now spread over to The DownUnder. :eek:

Tang

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Did you get the special mat in Connelly Leather using African Brahman cow hide? This is a secret weapon from ddk. The cow must be a virgin cow specially fed with only young grass. The tickness must be exactly 1.45 milimeter otherwise that last bit of nuance would be lost. Your room temperature must be no more than 15 degree celcius.

Tang ;)
That is the one i got ! I know you like the fat one, but i opted for the skinny one,
she does get a little clingy when used a lot. Never knew there was so much difference in static electricity depending on vinyl. The newer records seem
to produce most static, but i manage, i don’t flip my records while the platter is spinning, i’m not trained at the “Cirque du Soleil”;)

Last edited:
Reactions: christoph and Tango

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
David, I’m running my phono with stock tubes and it does everything surprisingly better than SS, more nuanced bass, increase in detail and color and amazing dynamics.
phono preamp.
There’s a lot of information in those grooves I’m constantly surprised how good and natural basic LPs can sound, glad you’re enjoying everything :)!

david

Reactions: Lagonda

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Hi Christian / David

Good move! You need to bring them out into the room a bit more and move them an inch or two closer together from the side walls.

david

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Colibri Sig is a tight fit in sme headshell. Requires reversal of the finger lift nut/bolt to give room which is very small and challenging to do. Time to mount on 3012R and align D: 17E58639-AF8E-4581-9705-3555C2C9A5FB.jpeg

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
phono preamp.

What phono stage are you using?

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Reactions: jeff1225

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing