I said I would never buy another Turntable...Argh !!!

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Congratulations Christian. I like the counters for each cartridge. At least if you ever sell one the buyer will know how much it has been played. You have not written much lately about the new turntable. Have you compared it to the AF1 or even played the latter since you got the AS2000? Now that you have lived with it for a while, how would you describe its sound?

My AF1 has no tonearm at the moment as my Elite is in for repair to replace the internal wire harness I broke by accident spinning my DIN connector before loosening the lock screw. Bob Graham is right on the case.

I love the AS. It is an amazing TT. I will keep the AF1 as variety is the spice of life. I have one more 3012R series 1 on the way for the rear 12" slot on the AF1. That way I can interchange carts between both tables w/o much effort. The AS has closed the gap between tape even more. I really don't think about it's sound. It's all about the music. It doesn't seem to add nor take anything away from the sound/performance as I imagine it compared to a tape version for example that I may have. The SME 3012R's are a match made in heaven. I dig bayonet mount head shells.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Updates on your fellow Thai AS owner.

- My AS2000 is S/N #2. Ready for shipping.
- The 300+ kgs Stacore rack is close to finish.
- 100hrs burn-in of ZYX Univ Premium is done at David's.
- 2 SME 3012Rs will be shipped together with AS 2000.
- SAT arm base for AS is ready to ship.
- A spare of "original" SAT is waiting in the flight case.
- EMT JPA66 MKIII phono is in DHL.
- Gian will send Kuro super interconnect next wek.
- GFS and Red Sparrow will arrive end of this month.

Tang:)

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY

Congrats Tang. Nice checklist!!!!

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
That is quite a parts list!

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010

soon will be party time at Tangs!!!!

that is quite a list.

regards,

Mike

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
3012R #3 for the AS. Using the Arche headshell our friend Tang was so kind to send my way. The cart is a Lyra Olympos SL Mono.

I wonder how long before you join the 8 arm club ;)! This sound and flexibility is very addictive...

david

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Can you please extend the list for the quarter instead of only the month?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Tang, less SpiderMan, more Dr. Octopus

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I wonder how long before you join the 8 arm club ;)! This sound and flexibility is very addictive...

david

well I have 4 SME 3012R series 1 now, 2 Graham Supremes and 1 Graham Elite....and a Clearaudio Universal. I'm there !!!
The AF1 will have a Graham Supreme in the front slot and a 3012R in the rear. The Clearaudio Master Innovation will maintain 1 Graham Supreme and possibly a 3012R should I be successful on my next auction...

Yup...looks like I will be maintaining a 3 turntable system w/ 2 phonostages. I suspect I will get a third phono down the road...maybe a CH Precision or some other SS gem to offer a different perspective from tubes.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
well I have 4 SME 3012R series 1 now, 2 Graham Supremes and 1 Graham Elite....and a Clearaudio Universal. I'm there !!!
The AF1 will have a Graham Supreme in the front slot and a 3012R in the rear. The Clearaudio Master Innovation will maintain 1 Graham Supreme and possibly a 3012R should I be successful on my next auction...

Yup...looks like I will be maintaining a 3 turntable system w/ 2 phonostages. I suspect I will get a third phono down the road...maybe a CH Precision or some other SS gem to offer a different perspective from tubes.

How many inputs does your main phono stage have? Do you have to periodically swamp wires with 4 arms on your AS2000?

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
How many inputs does your main phono stage have? Do you have to periodically swamp wires with 4 arms on your AS2000?

I have 2 MC and 1 MM inputs on the Lamm and on the 2 MC and 2 MM on the Allnic for a total of 7 inputs with 3 of them requiring step up trannies. Yes I do swap wires on the AS 2000. It has access to both phonostages....

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I have 2 MC and 1 MM inputs on the Lamm and on the 2 MC and 2 MM on the Allnic for a total of 7 inputs with 3 of them requiring step up trannies. Yes I do swap wires on the AS 2000. It has access to both phonostages....

Excellent. You have so many ways to mix and match!

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Excellent. You have so many ways to mix and match!

There in lies the fun. I used to only listen to what I thought was the best TT, Arm, Cart combo I had and questioned my need for multiple TT's, carts and phonostages. I no longer feel that way. I appreciate all of my TT's, arms and carts for what they do...their uniqueness and the variety of sound they bring to the table with various musical genres. I feel more free not being pigeon holed with one sound only for the most part.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
There in lies the fun. I used to only listen to what I thought was the best TT, Arm, Cart combo I had and questioned my need for multiple TT's, carts and phonostages. I no longer feel that way. I appreciate all of my TT's, arms and carts for what they do...their uniqueness and the variety of sound they bring to the table with various musical genres. I feel more free not being pigeon holed with one sound only for the most part.

Many people don’t get this.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011

Now that I have my first turntable with 2 arms, one of them being an SME 3012R, I now do.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA

Tang, I can't really say for sure, but perhaps more people "get" this than you realize, it's just that they have cost considerations and would prefer to allocate their funds towards the best single sample that they can discover. I think it is very personal and that most people do what they can within what their budget allows. Some might choose lesser gear with more options, and other may choose better gear with fewer options. Some even restrict their choice of formats in order to optimize one and then buy software. There are so many ways to enjoy the hobby.

Just two quick examples: AF3 plus three arms and three cartridges, or one AF1 with one cartridge and one arm. Or either table with one SAT arm and one super cartridge versus three SME 3012Rs with three less expensive cartridges? I'm sure different people would choose each of those options for different reasons. And so it goes.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Just two quick examples: AF3 plus three arms and three cartridges, or one AF1 with one cartridge and one arm. Or either table with one SAT arm and one super cartridge versus three SME 3012Rs with three less expensive cartridges? I'm sure different people would choose each of those options for different reasons. And so it goes.

Interesting dilemma for sure. Of course budget constraints are a factor.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Interesting dilemma for sure. Of course budget constraints are a factor.

I think cost is not significant in David approach - SME 3012R's are peanuts compared to the AS2000. :)

Rolling tubes could also be considered as a manifestation of being a free pigeon, but most of the time people just pick a best one, and consider all others just "inferior" - not my view of "playing for fun" .

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing