I said I would never buy another Turntable...Argh !!!

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Dear Christian,

Do you get exhausted when thinking about moving your gears to a new house?

Kind regards,
Tang

Indeed. I have been thinking about this since November when I bought the house. It's just the Wilson X-2.2's and the AS2000 that concern me. I will actually need help. It's so much easier when you can do things solo. Since the house is under major renovations, I have installed 4 dedicated 20 amp duplex outlets to either a sub panel or a wall mount Torus isolation transformer. I am also adding additional support beams under the portion of the floor where the stereo resides. I estimate 3,000 lbs of gear in my 8'x10' component area off to the side of the speakers.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Dear Christian,

Big system sucks because it is so damn big and heavy. Today my Stacore arrived. Two crates 200+kgs each. 50 meters from truck to my office 3rd floor. No fork lift. No elevator. The Thais are midgets. I had to bring up piece by piece. Right now, have no interest in assembling the rack at all. May be next week some time. It will require four people to assemble this rack. I really need to place this rack and David’s tt in the right place. It would be too pitiful and ridiculous hearing a news of a death of an audiophile from the floor collapse incident. I am not kidding. My room carries such heavy load. David’s tt will arrive next month. I have to do logistical planning. My GammaII weigh around 2 tons. But it was easier. I just realize big and and heavy is a lot easier to handle than small and freakin heavy. Sorry for babbling here. I thought you could feel me. I can’t imagine moving all my gears to a new place.

Kind regards,
Tang

Dear Tang,

This is how it is at the top, it's not just physical side of thing but the mental aspect is also difficult, imagine setting up all the tonearms after move and every tt needs it's own special care to setup. I dealt with the same issues many times I understand frustration and questioning why you're even doing this madness but once you get it done the potential payoff will make it all worthwhile. You've gone through a few rounds of major upgrades this year too adding to your current frustration. AS-2000 with that rack will weight about 500-600 kg, about the mass of a smallish high quality safe but a wider footprint so the weight is dispersed. I don't know the construction quality of your building, you can place it near structural beams as we discussed or spread the weight even more taking additional measures, same as installing a safe. Give it a couple of days to relax and get to it with calm.

david

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Indeed. I have been thinking about this since November when I bought the house. It's just the Wilson X-2.2's and the AS2000 that concern me. I will actually need help. It's so much easier when you can do things solo. Since the house is under major renovations, I have installed 4 dedicated 20 amp duplex outlets to either a sub panel or a wall mount Torus isolation transformer. I am also adding additional support beams under the portion of the floor where the stereo resides. I estimate 3,000 lbs of gear in my 8'x10' component area off to the side of the speakers.
http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showt...-never-buy-another-Turntable-Argh-!!!/page109

If you do not have stairs the Wilson's are very easy to move - it took less than 2 hours to move and assemble the XLF's in my room and around half that time to move them out! Surely the two people who did the job had a lot of experience with Alexandria's and I had already prepared the alignment tables.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showt...-never-buy-another-Turntable-Argh-!!!/page109

If you do not have stairs the Wilson's are very easy to move - it took less than 2 hours to move and assemble the XLF's in my room and around half that time to move them out! Surely the two people who did the job had a lot of experience with Alexandria's and I had already prepared the alignment tables.

I have basement stairs. Once the bass cabinets are moved and in place, setup will be a breeze...;)

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I have basement stairs. Once the bass cabinets are moved and in place, setup will be a breeze...;)

Christian, when do you expect to move in?

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Tang, you should take a break from audio and enjoy the Thomas and Uber Cups badminton competition in Bangkok this week. It's a lively crowd with a lot of percussion judging from the feed on TV. Those young kids have lots of energy.

Thank you Peter and David. But I am more into women volleyball. There is a Nation League tournament going on now. The Thai women team just beat the Polish who had beaten the Chinese.

Tang:D

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Thank you Peter and David. But I am more into women volleyball. There is a Nation League tournament going on now. The Thai women team just beat the Polish who had beaten the Chinese.

Tang:D

Women’s beach volleyball is also a good one to watch :)

Stacore

Industry Expert
Feb 23, 2017
Gdańsk, Poland
stacore.pl
Dear Christian,

Big system sucks because it is so damn big and heavy. Today my Stacore arrived. Two crates 200+kgs each. 50 meters from truck to my office 3rd floor. No fork lift. No elevator. The Thais are midgets. I had to bring up piece by piece. Right now, have no interest in assembling the rack at all. May be next week some time. It will require four people to assemble this rack. I really need to place this rack and David’s tt in the right place. It would be too pitiful and ridiculous hearing a news of a death of an audiophile from the floor collapse incident. I am not kidding. My room carries such heavy load. David’s tt will arrive next month. I have to do logistical planning. My GammaII weigh around 2 tons. But it was easier. I just realize big and and heavy is a lot easier to handle than small and freakin heavy. Sorry for babbling here. I thought you could feel me. I can’t imagine moving all my gears to a new place.

Kind regards,
Tang

Dear Tang,

Sorry to hear your frustration with the weight factor of the rack. I had no idea you have no elevator, otherwise would make the rack from paper not steel ;)
And actually the one to "blame" is David who specified the 1" steel plate, weighting 120kg, which is the only part which has to be handled by 4 men ;)
But as David says, top audio is first of all a hard mental exercise. So please take a rest and let me know when you are ready to assemble, I'd be happy to assist.

Cheers,

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Dear Tang,

Sorry to hear your frustration with the weight factor of the rack. I had no idea you have no elevator, otherwise would make the rack from paper not steel ;)
And actually the one to "blame" is David who specified the 1" steel plate, weighting 120kg, which is the only part which has to be handled by 4 men ;)
But as David says, top audio is first of all a hard mental exercise. So please take a rest and let me know when you are ready to assemble, I'd be happy to assist.

Cheers,

Dear Jarek,

My apology to you and David. It was one of those very hectic day at the office when everything just fell short and I didn’t have migraine tablet with me. Heavy is good. I asked David if it would be ok to put your rack and his tt not so distant from my right speaker. He said I could put them next to a cannon and wouldn’t hear a thing. I think he is right..because I will be deaf by the cannon :p.

Kindest regards,
Tang

Stacore

Industry Expert
Feb 23, 2017
Gdańsk, Poland
stacore.pl
Hahaha :D Good one with the cannon :D

On a serious note, I think I fully understand you. There is this frustrating exhaustion in our hobby caused by unpleasant physical activities.
I had it many times (my rack at home is 600kg with 120kg slate plate plus 3x40kg plates) and still have it from time to time. The best is to take a good
rest, clear your mind and then come back.

So happy volleyball watching, hope you can do it live ;)

Cheers,

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
50 meters from start to finish.

2134B47F-B969-402B-89AD-2BC97F1353CF.jpg
8CA7B1A7-CBF5-4CCF-8A0F-13397DA55C5E.jpg
27DD4F70-CAF6-4090-8CDC-A04374EAE4A8.jpg

Initial plan was to place at B. Change my mind to A now (where the Studer was).

Tang

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Dear Tang,
I know your frustrations. I spent an entire day off work to set up and build my Ascona table. After I set it up I realized that I forgot to add the lead shot in the legs and I had to take the entire 150 kg stand apart.

My non-audio friends have a good laugh at me with the effort I put into this system.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Tang, me and my neighbour had to get two 110kg Stacore pallets 20’ up to my lioft via thirty 28” wide step spiral staircase.

I really grew some hairs on my chest that day.

Last edited:

Gardener

Sep 23, 2017
Tango
If only I lived closer
I would love to help
Payment would be listening to your new turntable with one of you SAT arms
I think this will be really special
Dear Jarek,

My apology to you and David. It was one of those very hectic day at the office when everything just fell short and I didn’t have migraine tablet with me. Heavy is good. I asked David if it would be ok to put your rack and his tt not so distant from my right speaker. He said I could put them next to a cannon and wouldn’t hear a thing. I think he is right..because I will be deaf by the cannon :p.

Kindest regards,
Tang

Stacore

Industry Expert
Feb 23, 2017
Gdańsk, Poland
stacore.pl
Dear Tang,

Before you assemble the rack, is there a chance that you try the platform alone under your EMT927? I can guarantee it will be a very interesting and educative experience, requiring only a little work :)

Cheers,

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing