I said I would never buy another Turntable...Argh !!!

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Christian,

i'm skeptical that your wood floor can handle the pounds per square inch of the feet of the Nothing Rack + AS-2000 without some unpredictable deflection. whether it's deformation of the wood, or the support beneath, i'd recommend some consideration before it's all in place. if those wood slats are directly over concrete maybe you are ok. but maybe not. if it's directly over concrete i would think about cutting out the wood in that area to get directly onto the hard surface.

once it's in place and deflects (each footer will not deflect equally) it will be hard to fix it.

I already had a re-inforcement beam installed with a 30,000lb load capacity. There will be no floor bowing or deformation. It runs right underneath the equipment area/right speaker. The flooring is 1” oak on top of 1” plywood (radiant heated floor) which sits on the floor joists. Perhaps a floor plate will be in order. I can always take the top plate from my herzan AVI table unit and put the AS/AS Stand on top of that. The steel plate would disperse the feet loads more evenly.

Thanks for bringing it to my attention...

Last edited:

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
I already had a re-inforcement beam installed with a 30,000lb load capacity. There will be no floor bowing or deformation. It runs right underneath the equipment area/right speaker. The flooring is 1” oak on top of 1” plywood (radiant heated floor) which sits on the floor joists. Perhaps a floor plate will be in order. I can always take the top plate from my herzan AVI table unit and put the AS/AS Stand on top of that. The steel plate would disperse the feet loads more evenly.

Thanks for bringing it to my attention...

1" Oak over your added beam will likely be sufficient i would think. the Nothing Rack feet are wide enough with wood that dense there will be no deformation of the wood unless it's flexing below, and the beam should handle that. if you add the other plate then the floor and plate can have their own issues.....still dependent on the under support.

i think you have a good plan, sorry to throw that out there without reading the rest of the thread.

room looks fantastic by the way.

Reactions: rockitman

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Ha Christian, you beat my main (non audio) ceiling ht by 4' (we're *only* 20' high).

. . .

Room dimension calculators never reflect this but, subjectively, I think high ceilings are good for audio systems.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
David has estimated around 700-800 lbs. I wish things were lighter in the TT world....lol

I truly do not understand how David gets this stuff packed and transported around the world.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Vinyl now spinning. Second shot is the 24’ ceilings. Headroom used to be 8 ‘. Music fully blooms now before hitting the ceiling barrier. Taped area for AS2000. View attachment 47558

24´ ceilings? You really deserve a a pair of WAMM's - and although you will have to hide them from David, a pair of Master Subsonic subwoofers!

Reactions: rockitman

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Futures are pricing in a 65% probability that Christian will have Master Chronosonic speakers in there someday.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Futures are pricing in a 65% probability that Christian will have Master Chronosonic speakers in there someday.

considering the ddk influence, the odds are higher going to horns, which would also play more to that room than dynamic cones. the only drawback is that big horns would block the view. but less so than lowered window coverings.

Reactions: bonzo75 and ddk

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
That light fixture is gorgeous indeed but I wouldn't want to be the guy to get up there to replace a burned out bulb ;)

+1 on the classy fixture.

my ceilings in my family room and living room are 26' tall; i have an extension pole with a suction tip that works fine. dropped one bulb in 14 years and it did not break even.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
1" Oak over your added beam will likely be sufficient i would think. the Nothing Rack feet are wide enough with wood that dense there will be no deformation of the wood unless it's flexing below, and the beam should handle that. if you add the other plate then the floor and plate can have their own issues.....still dependent on the under support.

i think you have a good plan, sorry to throw that out there without reading the rest of the thread.

room looks fantastic by the way.

I re-checked the floor. 3/4” Red Oak Floor planks over a sandwich of two 3/4” OSB plywood on top of floor joists. CCFF341C-9DD6-4D75-883A-C7F2042EE53A.jpeg

Reactions: Mike Lavigne

Steve Williams

my ceilings in my family room and living room are 26' tall; i have an extension pole with a suction tip that works fine. dropped one bulb in 14 years and it did not break even.

I understand and have seen those extension poles which work best if the bulbs are below rather than above the fixture which these are . I can't see that working for Christian

Steve Williams

I think Mike does have a point Christian

If you have the original plans it would tell you what weight the subfloor is built to tolerate

In my neck of the wood the standard for residential floor is 40-50 lbs/sq foot and about 80 lbs/sq foot for industrial.

Like Christian I have very heavy equipment and we have the same speakers. When I built my room on the second floor over my living I wanted to take no chances that there would never be a problem and my sub floor was designed to support 1500 lbs/sq foot

A mechanical engineer can easily give you good advice if you need additional support in the room t

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I think Mike does have a point Christian

If you have the original plans it would tell you what weight the subfloor is built to tolerate

In my neck of the wood the standard for residential floor is 40-50 lbs/sq foot and about 80 lbs/sq foot for industrial.

Like Christian I have very heavy equipment and we have the same speakers. When I built my room on the second floor over my living I wanted to take no chances that there would never be a problem and my sub floor was designed to support 1500 lbs/sq foot

A mechanical engineer can easily give you good advice if you need additional support in the room t
The support is there....My General Contractor looked into it.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing