I said I would never buy another Turntable...Argh !!!

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
This is all that remains of the AS2000. Moved the arm bds to their new home with tonearms attached and carts removed. I had bubble wrap between them for the car ride over. Not recommended packing for shipping, lol. 4049017A-ACA1-4BAC-9ACA-AF8FF074D88B.jpeg C43E31CC-3697-47F4-8926-8A7D2B9D91B9.jpeg

Reactions: Lagonda

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Congratulations Christian and thank you for posting so many photos. Photos are great for conveying what words can't but they can induce jealousy. :)

Two questions: Is David planning a visit and how did you arrive at that location for the speakers?

Yes...he is delivering the stand I believe. The speaker location is the location that made the most sense to me in terms of sound/room symmetry and general living logistics.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Yes...he is delivering the stand I believe. The speaker location is the location that made the most sense to me in terms of sound/room symmetry and general living logistics.

Did you consider putting a speaker on either side of the fireplace? I bet you must be psyched to be nearly finished with this monumental move and likely major sonic upgrade. I look very forward to reading reports about the resulting sound after David has visited and things are settled in. Great stuff.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Did you consider putting a speaker on either side of the fireplace? I bet you must be psyched to be nearly finished with this monumental move and likely major sonic upgrade. I look very forward to reading reports about the resulting sound after David has visited and things are settled in. Great stuff.

I considered all options. Originally I was going to put it in the basement. Fortunately David convinced me that was a bad idea. I can’t play loud and late anymore like I did in the man cave. More daytime listening when higher volume levels are desired.

Reactions: Lagonda and PeterA

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
This is all that remains of the AS2000. Moved the arm bds to their new home with tonearms attached and carts removed. I had bubble wrap between them for the car ride over. Not recommended packing for shipping, lol. View attachment 47581 View attachment 47582
This is how i moved my speakers last. Fuck the Connolly leather !
Nobody’s touching my speakers!:)

Attachments

• 4C016911-EC96-4351-95CB-EEF65C35031E.jpeg
    4C016911-EC96-4351-95CB-EEF65C35031E.jpeg
    917.6 KB · Views: 55
Reactions: rockitman and GMKF

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
I considered all options. Originally I was going to put it in the basement. Fortunately David convinced me that was a bad idea. I can’t play loud and late anymore like I did in the man cave. More daytime listening when higher volume levels are desired.
Kids rooms and bedrooms are much cheaper to sound proof than listening
rooms ! And money well spent.
Don’t give up nighttime listening, it’s the best kind !

Reactions: mulveling

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010

i love my barn. it's the ultimate 'away' space for my hifi passion. and i can get as loud as i want, for as long as i want, when ever i want.

OTOH i miss having my dear wife (of 45 years Friday) down the hallway. there are many times when i wish she was more around my listening. hearing what i'm playing, poking her head in. i have to try much harder to do things with her and spend the time. and that does not always happen.

sure.....many wish they had the separate space. but that cuts both ways.

i'm sure you will find the joy in your new situation.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I had a chance of installing my system in the main open 35x30x20 space in our chapel. Acoustics might have been challenging re the sheer number of alcoves, mezzanine, staircase, lobbies, imposing re reflections.

But within this, an unimpeded 27x22x20 space would have accommodated my gear nicely and left plenty of scope to install big horns like Pnoes, Cessaro Liszts or AG Trios w Basshorns.

But I made a decision early on not to set up in the main space, unlike Christian who has:

1- there was no guarantee I wouldn't have run into major acoustics issues, slap echo is pretty apparent in the space, and I wasn't prepared to spoil the look of the space w ugly diffusion and absorption panels. These would have looked well out of place up against period panelling and ballustrading.

2- not feasible to run hot tubes, cabling, delicate analog setup w the crazy gravity defying and chew thru anything kamikaze kittens my gf Ra dotes on.

3- we don't like the same music and indeed Ra is not one to sit down and listen, she's more a "music on the go" sort of person. Its her space as well as mine. Can you imagine torturing the poor woman day after day w Rush, Magma, Pharoe Saunders era Coltrane, Stravinsky!

4- we're always having guests over, and I just couldn't work a way to have the primary social hub also double up as my music room.

5- and things worked out brilliantly as my dedicated music room loft space, despite not having the grandeur and volume of the main space, has worked out spectacularly, and I truly believe has given me a better outcome than had I set up my system in the main space.

So Christian, I'm really happy you've unlike me been able to set up in the main space, but I couldn't pull off the choice myself.

Last edited:

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
i love my barn. it's the ultimate 'away' space for my hifi passion. and i can get as loud as i want, for as long as i want, when ever i want.

OTOH i miss having my dear wife (of 45 years Friday) down the hallway. there are many times when i wish she was more around my listening. hearing what i'm playing, poking her head in. i have to try much harder to do things with her and spend the time. and that does not always happen.

sure.....many wish they had the separate space. but that cuts both ways.

i'm sure you will find the joy in your new situation.

Mike, I hear you.

My listening room is 27' x 20' and is down a 6 foot hallway from the kitchen. Oftentimes I leave the door open when I play music while my wife is in the kitchen working (writing and editing). She will text me when either she likes what I have on or doesn't. 75% like, which isn't bad.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Remember we discussed soundproofing the bedroom :D!

david

Reactions: rockitman

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
So you do have a LAGONDA!

david
Yes David i’ve had that car 20 years now. My second wife always said i loved
the car more than her. She lasted 10 years, i guess she was right ! ;)

Last edited:

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
How high of WAF do two foot thick doors have?
If it lets her sleep at night, the WAF is high !:)
Don’t forget it’s all for her sake.

Last edited:
Reactions: ddk

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing